Ray's Octavia Mk2 FL 1.8TSI APR K04 and a whole host of mods

Ray-1.8TSI

2011 Mk2FL Octavia owner from India. In India we got a 1.8TSI labelled as a VRS with the full VRS Kit but the EA888Mk2 1.8TSI engine and gearbox. So with that as a base car, we decided to make a road worthy track car that can take on some mighty beasts.

Engine Mods -

APR K04 Turbo for 1.8TSI

OEM 3Bar Boost Sensor with APR 3Bar beta file

Neuspeed Turbo Outlet Pipe (K04 specific)

Spullen Throttle body Pipe

GFB DV+ and OEM DV

APR Carbonio Stage 1 Intake

Integrated Engineering FDS Intercooler

Milltek DeCat Downpipe

Milltek Non Resonated Cat back

Neuspeed Dogbone Mount 

Spec Stage 3+ Clutch and SMF Flywheel

Bilstien B14 Suspension

Tarox B32-6 Front BBK

NGK BKR8EIX plugs with R8 Coilpacks

Tires are an Issue here as I just cant seem to find the right size (245/40/17) so am running 245/45/17 which is over the 3% barrier and is locking up the brakes and confusing the ABS.

post-100219-0-49008400-1456160904_thumb.jpg

post-100219-0-27045900-1456160908_thumb.jpg

post-100219-0-80662300-1456160914_thumb.jpg

post-100219-0-44752600-1456160926_thumb.jpg

Track Testing Video

Best Lap so far.. yes I know its terrible.. but the tires locking up made be brake way too early, and the oversize tires rubbing just killed traction at the wrong times.

• Like 1

Well like any build this had had its share of issues.

1. IATs IATs !! The fact that anyone is running a K04 on track without an intercooler defeats me! I had soaring IATs and all kinds of timing issue with the stock IC. I dont know how the hell people are driving around with K04 and stock IC.
  2. My Tarox Brake Caliper failed on me one on track. Nice of Tarox to replace the pair for free, even though the Right one failed. Now that I've got the calipers taken care of, my master cylinder seems to be acting up with pedal going to the floor with enough pressure even when the car is at a stand still. I'm not sure if its the master or the slave, but since the pedal doesn't fall to the floor, I'm guessing its not the slave but the master. Its holding for a while but any aggressive shifting and boom failure.
  3. The OEM clutch held up for about 4000kms of not launching. But one launch and it died. Kept slipping on any kind of hard acceleration. Got the Spec 3+ and flywheel installed, but after a while that started slipping as well. It seems the APR 3Bar map + all the mods is generating around 500NM at the flywheel, which the Spec Stage 3+ isn't designed for. Also post install, and even a babied break-in of 1200kms, clutch slipping is occurring occasionally with issues with inconsistent pedal pressure, leading me to believe that the master cylinder is on the way out. Well I've a set of spares in house and will be swapping both the master and slave together this weekend. Then if the clutch still doesn't hold, the only option I've left is to opt for a Stage 5 disc (metal, unsprung) which is the LAST thing i want to do...

Power Chart (based on MAF data logged in 3rd Gear via VCDS)
980793_1230310070318065_7194458697824489

Anyone have any clue if the 2.0TSI gearbox fits the 1.8TSI block?

Anyone here crazy enough to have tried it on their 1.8TSI as the 2.0TSI gearbox has so many clutch options while for the 1.8TSI the only thing that holds the torque I'm making is a unsprung metallic disc!

225/45/17's are readily available and relatively cheap.....  less than 1% difference rolling radius. :) RSR's would work well on the track , something like this.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Federal-595-RS-R-Tyres-Track-Day-Race-Road-225-45-ZR17-94W-XL-ALL-SIZES-/231390100190?fits=Tyre+Width%3A225%7CAspect+Ratio%3A45%7CRim+Diameter%3A17&hash=item35dfecbade:g:w4kAAOSwY45UPVxV

Edited by sharkrider

Anyone have any clue if the 2.0TSI gearbox fits the 1.8TSI block?

Anyone here crazy enough to have tried it on their 1.8TSI as the 2.0TSI gearbox has so many clutch options while for the 1.8TSI the only thing that holds the torque I'm making is a unsprung metallic disc!

hello my friend very nice Car with great tunning parts

the answer in your question is YES

but you must change the flywheel and replace the clutch with complete set fron 2.0 tsi vrs

thats all ,  here in Greece a friend of mine made the same update in his O2 fl 1.8 tsi with cdaa engine

hello my friend very nice Car with great tunning parts

the answer in your question is YES

but you must change the flywheel and replace the clutch with complete set fron 2.0 tsi vrs

thats all ,  here in Greece a friend of mine made the same update in his O2 fl 1.8 tsi with cdaa engine

Is that for real? So let me get this right.. you can swap in the 2.0TSI FWD GEARBOX onto the 1.8TSI block? Is it a straight swap (Gearbox, Clutch, Flywheel) or do you need any custom parts? 

225/45/17's are readily available and relatively cheap.....  less than 1% difference rolling radius. :) RSR's would work well on the track , something like this.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Federal-595-RS-R-Tyres-Track-Day-Race-Road-225-45-ZR17-94W-XL-ALL-SIZES-/231390100190?fits=Tyre+Width%3A225%7CAspect+Ratio%3A45%7CRim+Diameter%3A17&hash=item35dfecbade:g:w4kAAOSwY45UPVxV

Sadly the sticky tires are not available in India. The best we get in 225/45/17 are PS3 and PZero. I'm on CSC3's which are very so so tires..

Sadly the sticky tires are not available in India. The best we get in 225/45/17 are PS3 and PZero. I'm on CSC3's which are very so so tires..

I could tell by the video.... your car seemed very quick, but quite poor at the first sign of a corner, and the tyres seemed to be the limiting factor!

I would have thought you could order online and get delivery to India.. I just chatted to someone at black circles and they wouldn't do it, but did say you could get them to deliver to an international courier, that would forward them on to india.... a bit complicated I know, but a possibility?

you really need a trackday tyre! ;) edit: from your list , the PS3 might be better on track?

anyway, I like the car, good mods!

Edited by sharkrider

Is that for real? So let me get this right.. you can swap in the 2.0TSI FWD GEARBOX onto the 1.8TSI block? Is it a straight swap (Gearbox, Clutch, Flywheel) or do you need any custom parts? 

No my friend you can make this swap only with oem parts!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Have used the PS3 in the Stage2 setup and loved it. Sadly they stopped selling them in India a while back. The 245/45/17s are really not a tire size i want to run as its rubbing all over and its also making my ABS brakes go nuts on hard braking at times. Over 3% tire error than the 225/45/17s.

Hope arrived in the form of Michellin dealer telling me that PS3s will be back in stock in April so fingers are crossed. Changed the clutch master and slave cylinder on the car and it seems to be working at putting down the power well without any clutch slip.

Also tomorrow is another track day so lets see how much i can shave off from my previous time (which was pretty ****ty). Going in with slightly higher tire pressures this time so hopefully better results.