Guide: Removing front door card Octavia Mk3 including changing tweeter capacitor for better sound

seanantenbring

On 06/04/2016 at 11:58, TDIum said:

I have now done the rears. These are very much the same as the passenger side front door. Removing and especially refitting the window switches is very difficult but you have to do this to get access to one of the retaining screws. 

But you cannot remove the tweeters from the door card. If you plan on changing the caps like I have done you will need to remove the door cards from the rear doors.

To disconnect the door card completely: Pull out the small cable clip at the top out of the door - don't be tempted to yank on the cable, just use a trim removal tool to carefully pop it out of the metal. Once this is free you will have a bit more room to work. Disconnect all electrical connections including the window switch. The door release cable is disconnected by unclipping the white plastic retaining clip then you can wiggle the cable nipple out of the slot in the release lever. Don't loose, step on or otherwise mangle the circular plastic seal that is a push fit on the mid-range speaker unit!

Having done all four doors tweeters now the sound is improved but still lacks bass oomph. I think I may fit an under-seat active woofer unit. 

Thanks for all the great info, very useful. I am not totally clear about one thing: Is it possible to replace the tweeter in a simple way? Can anyone share an overview picture of how the tweeter is attached to the doorpanel? And what replacement tweeter would fit there? The tweeter in the left rear passenger door doesn't work anymore; leading to an annoyed child that sits on the left rear seat.... Thank you!

All of the stuff including the tweeters are fixed by welded/melted plastic. You could remove the tweeter using just hand tools or maybe a low power drill or Dremel type tool, and glue the new one in place. But I'm not sure you'd get much improvement with a replacement tweeter?

Maybe yours has just become disconnected.

• 7 months later...
On 16/07/2019 at 16:04, TDIum said:

Hello

It sounds the much same but the tweeter is less intrusive and it works better when it only gets the high frequency currents it's supposed to handle. 

I would suggest you get 3.3 or 2.2 uF caps and solder them in series with the installed ones. If you don't know how to do that, don't try. 

Update on this from me: I bought another Octavia (😱 I know, I know) this time with Canton sound, and believe it or not I think the tweeter is still overloaded. I don't fancy doing this job all over again but I might have to ...

Hi

May sound like a stupid question. I was gonna order 3.3 uf capacitors and solder them after removing old ones. 

Now you have confused me by saying in series with the old ones. 

Could you just simplify that down completely for me. Or even a hand drawn instruction. 

Hello

It sounds the much same but the tweeter is less intrusive and it works better when it only gets the high frequency currents it's supposed to handle. 

I would suggest you get 3.3 or 2.2 uF caps and solder them in series with the installed ones. If you don't know how to do that, don't try. 

Update on this from me: I bought another Octavia (😱 I know, I know) this time with Canton sound, and believe it or not I think the tweeter is still overloaded. I don't fancy doing this job all over again but I might have to ...

Hi

May sound like a stupid question. I was gonna order 3.3 uf capacitors and solder them after removing old ones. 

Could you just simplify that down completely for me. Or even a hand drawn instruction. 

Hello

Hi