Leon Cupra: Talk me out of it (if you can)

newbie69

Lately, I've been looking to replace my stage 2 Fabia vRS. Not having any issues with the car itself ( It actually still makes me smile quite often) but it rather is a combination of small unimportant things that when they accumulate they suddenly sound more important than they really are: We could use a little bit more space inside and in the boot (nothing extreme though), I'd like a fresher and finer interior, and definitively could do with slightly more ride refinement and reduced road noise on the highway.

But let's be serious as then there's the power... During the test-drive, the Cupra didn't feel much quicker than my Fabia which even does a quicker 0-100 and keeps up with it up to ~150-160kph, then the Cupra just continues flying away obviously but boy, the gains these EA888 MK3 engines see with a simple stage 1 map is mental: 20% more power and a generous 33% more torque and they've jumped right into RS3 fields which should be enough *cough* for the foreseeable future *cough*.

Last but not least let me not mention how much piece of mind it gives me the fact that the Cupra with the extra Brembo brakes is pretty much sorted for track use without you needing to modify one single suspension part. Trying to sort the Fabia handling-wise and you still feel the bad habbits of the car are toned down but not extinguished. A totally different feeling.

And all that for a price which does not leave the competition with much to hope for. S3, Golf R, M135i, Focus RS, A45, Megane RS they're all either: less driver-involving, slower in total performance (power+handling), offer less space, or  way too expensive compared to the Cupra which is pretty much where I'd like to set my budget level. Although most of them might be more of a status-symbol than the humble SEAT, but this wolf in sheep's clothes factor had always been a plus in my eyes. Of trying to explain to uneducated people (in terms of automotive knowledge that is) why you spent 30k on a SEAT is a hard task but one can't have it all can he?

I hear you ask what's the point of this thread then? Well I always have hope that somebody may change my mind about it and make me stick with my Fabia for more, although it may also be that what happens it's quite the opposite and I place an order next week...  :D

Edited by newbie69

I drive a Seat. Based on knocking on for 2 years of Seat ownership, I feel justified in offering the following advice:

For ****'s sake, whatever you do, don't buy a Seat. Yeah, the VW bits are as good as any other VW bits, the rest is made from old egg boxes and carrier bags.

• Like 3

I drive a Seat. Based on knocking on for 2 years of Seat ownership, I feel justified in offering the following advice:

For ****'s sake, whatever you do, don't buy a Seat. Yeah, the VW bits are as good as any other VW bits, the rest is made from old egg boxes and carrier bags.

Being a forum regular (and I don't mean just Briskoda) I am pretty sure one can substitute the words SEAT in the first two sentences with any brand he feels like and still will be as true. I think it actually hurts much more to go through such an experience owning a BMW or an Audi though, and it can happen, than being in a Skoda or SEAT which, as you say in the end it can be expected that they are not built to the highest standard out there. I have read similar things about the Fabia throughout the years and although not the best car I 've been in, plastics do rattle some time and quality is not exactly impressive, it was never a reason to ditch the car.

Edited by newbie69

• 8 months later...

Is it the car in your profile?

The PD130 is an old lump so I'm assuming the car is old too?

Not sure it's fair to compare a SEAT from several years ago to one being sold today?

Being a forum regular (and I don't mean just Briskoda) I am pretty sure one can substitute the words SEAT in the first two sentences with any brand he feels like and still will be as true. I think it actually hurts much more to go through such an experience owning a BMW or an Audi though, and it can happen, than being in a Skoda or SEAT which, as you say in the end it can be expected that they are not built to the highest standard out there. I have read similar things about the Fabia throughout the years and although not the best car I 've been in, plastics do rattle some time and quality is not exactly impressive, it was never a reason to ditch the car.

Check you can live with the hard suspension. The Leon Cupra felt much harsher than the Octy VRS and got on ones nerves after a while.  A car good on a test drive is not always good long term ownership.  Leon Cupra did worse mpg than the Octy VRS with the engine oddly too ie not as aerodynamic.

This is my old stage 2+ mk2 Leon cupra. Loved this thing and wish I didn't have to sell it but I needed a bigger car for my baby girl. Would have another in a sec. My current audi S4 just doesn't have the same zing to it. 74882F5E-0268-4287-AD97-2A16028066D3_zps

?

Are there loads out there?

The 280's are going back now, but do you really want one unless you knew the driver / drivers. Lottery!

There are plenty now with near no miles & asking prices that are just a dream and a wish for the Dealerships so 'Much Cheapness' is available right now.

?

Are there loads out there?

The 280's are going back now, but do you really want one unless you knew the driver / drivers. Lottery!

There are plenty now with near no miles & asking prices that are just a dream and a wish for the Dealerships so 'Much Cheapness' is available right now.

Well given the epic lease deal that ran from Jul-Sept (Cupra Black for £132 a month with a £2400 deposit) and Seats inability to meet the high demand it generated with people having orders cancelled and colours changed.

It works out at £5400 for two years motoring in a 300bhp 30k car..

Loads of PH'ers jumped on it to replace their Golf Rs the lease thread on there is approaching 40 pages long already.

I am slightly biased though, as i picked mine up a couple of weeks ago :)

Edited by Neo_VR
  • Like 2

I hope it is better than the 300 hp Civic Type R which I recently went out in and with it being slight cool and damp I doubt we could get much more than half the power down most of the time.

Edited by lol-lol

• 2 weeks later...