Mannyo - 2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual

mannyo

• 3 months later...

And time for another quick update.

The S60 is now on 169K miles and still running perfectly except for the ongoing smoke problem.

However last week I had an intermittent electrical problem with the rear of the car, I initially put it down to little use over the previous 4 weeks so went to charge the battery. I discovered that the positive terminal had been suffering from acid corrosion for quiet some time and the cause of the electrical issues was that the acid had eaten through one of the terminals onto the battery. This wire was now flapping around and intermittently making contact directly on the battery pole, which had in turn caused an even bigger corrosion mess.

1/2 hour cleaning it up with a vacuum and a dremel and it was all cleaned up except the broken connection, so off to a local garage the following morning (car still drove but no rear electrics, brake lights etc.) who fitted a nice new terminal all properly soldered and normal service resumed.

Since that was done I've covered more than 500 miles at the weekend in the Volvo, and its still great.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another update

Thanks to updown789 for the inhibitor the battery repair is holding and no more electrical issues at all, well except the front fogs not working but they never have.

The S60 has now well past 170K miles and heading for 171K, however its now developed a knocking noise from the nearside front suspension which I am hoping is simply worn drop links as opposed to the lower arm. The knock is only present under braking, acceleration and when driving on bad surfaces like the hole ridden farm track down to the house, it perfectly quiet on the motorway and round town.

MOT will need to be done in Feb 2017, and I'll have owned it for a year shortly after.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time for another update on the Volvo.

Today was MOT day, and I was expecting it to fail. It did fail, but not for the reasons I thought it would. So the following are now being sorted and I should get the car back tomorrow.

Now on 172K miles, I have attached a couple of pictures from the weekend just gone.

Reason(s) for failure
nearside front Front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
nearside rear Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
offside rear Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
nearside rear Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Advisory notice item(s)
nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement front bush (2.4.G.2)
offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement front bush (2.4.G.2)
coil spring corroded all 4 springs (2.4.C.1b)
nearside front tyre worn on inner edge due to badly worn ball joint

16804180_10155041302494803_6449509768929592495_o.jpg

16797416_10155041302434803_8584533419850091525_o.jpg

Edited by mannyo

And now we are back in business with a shiny new MOT.

Been out for a quick run this evening and it drives like a different car, all the clunks from the front have gone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Volvo still going well, following the suspension work for the MOT she is quieter than ever to drive and the MPG has improved.

Ovlov now manages to get almost 650 miles from a tank of diesel, it is a shame that as its a 2003 car it will soon be plagued with nobody wanting it due to emissions penalties.

Also just renewed insurance, 2 years NCD, fully comp £195 with Tesco. Admiral wanted almost double, and could not get anywhere near Tesco.

• Like 2