2016 Skoda Octavia Scout 1.8TSI

BGB

Race Blue octavia scout with 18 Gemini antrasitt is now ordered :-) It took the dealer over one hour to confirm that it would indeed fit. Enclosed picture is photoshopped by me ;-) Offset is 51mm. No idea what it means ;-)

Race Blue octavia scout with 18 Gemini antrasitt is now ordered :-) It took the dealer over one hour to confirm that it would indeed fit. Enclosed picture is photoshopped by me ;-) Offset is 51mm. No idea what it means ;-)

Offset (Norwegian = innpress) is the distance between the center of the wheel and the mounting surface. The lower the number the further out in the wheel arch the wheel is and naturally the higher number the longer in.

And as Auskout says above, it looks much nicer when the wheel is as flush as possible with the fenders.

Edit: And congrats, the blue color is beautiful and you have much to look forward to, the Scout is amazing.

Edited by BGB

Thank you :-) Is 51 MM. offset a high or low number? The standard 18 rims (pictoris) has no offset number that I can see. So I assume they have zero offset(?). The Gemini will be further inside the wheel arch than the Pictoris? This seems counterintuitive to me, as they are made for the RS, and is supposed to look good ;-)

51mm is a high number but normal.

The Pictoris is has the exact same dimensions as the Gemini. Offset is marked behind the wheel on the spokes and should say ET## (in your case ET51). Google is your friend ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow countryman, and even same city  :hi:

Its a nice car you have there, really liking the look of the Trinitys  :thumbup: 

Im wondering what kind of velcro did you us to fasten the license plate?

Cause I have tried Biltema's on the plastic type plate I currently have, tho it works when dry, it copes rather poorly when wet.

Not sure if its the texture at the back of the plastic ones causing it, or the velcro itself, but I have to start somewhere! :D

Hello fellow countryman, and even same city  :hi:

Its a nice car you have there, really liking the look of the Trinitys  :thumbup:

Im wondering what kind of velcro did you us to fasten the license plate?

Cause I have tried Biltema's on the plastic type plate I currently have, tho it works when dry, it copes rather poorly when wet.

Not sure if its the texture at the back of the plastic ones causing it, or the velcro itself, but I have to start somewhere! :D

Good day sir, always nice to see Norwegians on foreign forums  :clap:

I used this velcro: http://www.clasohlson.com/no/Duotec-borrelåsbånd/34-4682

The key is to wash the surface and let it dry, then mount the velcro and let it harden before mounting the license plate on. This "Duotec" from Clas Ohlson is really heavy duty and I can't tell the difference between it and the one from 3M costing 1000NOK pr meter. My car is washed and high pressure cleaned often and there is no sign of wear and tear on the velcro. 

• 4 weeks later...

Winter is coming. Wheels prepped for snow, ice and generally bad conditions. Washed, clayed and waxed.

Skoda Denom 7x17 with this years test winners Continental ContiVikingContact 6 in 225/50R17:

86683396-5E48-4D12-A960-B863C2B0AFF4.jpg

CBC28A4B-A792-4198-8DB9-1AAF4CE41844.jpg

Car also prepped for winter, washed and waxed, Collinite 845 on paint, G6 on plastic and Rain X on windows. A glass-coating is planned tho I do not know when so until then this will do for the first wave of Norwegian winterstorms.

86D20778-6998-40AF-AD8A-8BD1C03FF23A.jpg

Edited by BGB
  • Like 1

Fantastic project to read through. Really love the 18" summer wheels.

You have done such classy changes too, really makes it unique but keeps it very OEM looking. Great work! 

Great photos too, helps you have such beautiful scenery in the background :)

Look forward to seeing more updates over the winter.

Fantastic project to read through. Really love the 18" summer wheels.

You have done such classy changes too, really makes it unique but keeps it very OEM looking. Great work! 

Great photos too, helps you have such beautiful scenery in the background :)

Look forward to seeing more updates over the winter.

Thank you sir, very fun to hear that you like the car. The idea was to keep it OEM+.

I´m looking forward to the winter and will of course post pictures of the car in its "right environment" :)  

Winter wheels is on the car:

53932EA6-38E1-4063-9031-5BFB28FFD394.jpg

Also got the rubber floor mats in:

04654261-F903-46F4-836B-5DA31B8AEF2A.jpg

Looking forward to the snow and ice. However at the time it´s just rain and wind. Will try to get some real Scout snow pictures as soon as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Car parked inside nice and clean, weather outside is snowy and slushy and since I´m traveling to Britain this weekend I walk to work so the car can stay clean for just a couple more days at the least. First oil change is up in december, the car has only rolled 4000km ca (2500 miles). I´ve decided to be notorious on the oil changes on this car with at least once a year (tops every 10000km/6000 miles), this due to a lot of short trips and the Norwegian climate.

New camera:

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Hi!

Interesting to read of what you've done. I got a nearly new diesel dsg version back in January (Skoda dealer's group accountants staff car "extracted" for a great discount from new. Offwhite with oem detachable tow ball, xenon headlights, heated windscreen and heated front (manual) seats and rubber floor mats, & boot mat. Had to buy a steel spare wheel though!

Great car though first time I used the off-road mode I thought it was bust, so great was the difference in engine speed to forward motion!

And yes of course I also changed the summer tyres almost immediately for, after careful research, Nokian Weatheroroof all season tyres, but retained the original 17" wheels.

Coming from driving B4,5& 6 Passat estates & a LandroverFreelander (too small a boot!!!) the mk3 Octavia had at least equivalent room all round and so much more than the mk2 which I looked at a few years ago, but too small.

I assume you don't have a dog, otherwise as I did you'd probvaboy fit a scratch plate on the rear bumper top surface (but if course

Skoda don't do one for the Scout ... ditto for mudguards)

How have you found the fog lights (again a Scout special)? They are so dim compared to the Xenons that I've found them pretty useless!

Couple of further questions ...

1 details of the bonnet lifters, including effectiveness & ease of fitment would be much appreciated. the bonnet is pretty heavy!

2 have you yet had to drive through worryingly deep floodwater, & if so, how did you get on?

Hi!

Interesting to read of what you've done. I got a nearly new diesel dsg version back in January (Skoda dealer's group accountants staff car "extracted" for a great discount from new. Offwhite with oem detachable tow ball, xenon headlights, heated windscreen and heated front (manual) seats and rubber floor mats, & boot mat. Had to buy a steel spare wheel though!

Great car though first time I used the off-road mode I thought it was bust, so great was the difference in engine speed to forward motion!

And yes of course I also changed the summer tyres almost immediately for, after careful research, Nokian Weatheroroof all season tyres, but retained the original 17" wheels.

Coming from driving B4,5& 6 Passat estates & a LandroverFreelander (too small a boot!!!) the mk3 Octavia had at least equivalent room all round and so much more than the mk2 which I looked at a few years ago, but too small.

I assume you don't have a dog, otherwise as I did you'd probvaboy fit a scratch plate on the rear bumper top surface (but if course

Skoda don't do one for the Scout ... ditto for mudguards)

How have you found the fog lights (again a Scout special)? They are so dim compared to the Xenons that I've found them pretty useless!

Couple of further questions ...

1 details of the bonnet lifters, including effectiveness & ease of fitment would be much appreciated. the bonnet is pretty heavy!

2 have you yet had to drive through worryingly deep floodwater, & if so, how did you get on?

Hello Mike

We do not own a dog at the moment but if we decide to get one I will surely get a rear bumper protector to keep the scratches away. I am actually looking into changing the fog lights into LEDs but in all fairness I never use them, I even programmed the fog light turning system off. The mudguards I have looked closely on the normal Octavia and the Scout and I am going to modify them to fit my Scout.

As for the other questions, 1: The bonnet lifters is from Superskoda and the quality is great. They are strong and have no problem what so ever holding the bonnet. Installing is very easy and done in under 10 minutes. 2: No, I have never had the car off road. 

Hope this answers your questions and feel free to ask again.

• 2 weeks later...

There are little to no Scouts in The Netherlands. Guess there is no market for it, flat and seldom snow. Also the Scout is very expensive compared to other trims of the Octavia, when you want to have the same level of options.

So, very refreshing to see such a nice topic about the Scout. Thank you, very interesting.

There are little to no Scouts in The Netherlands. Guess there is no market for it, flat and seldom snow. Also the Scout is very expensive compared to other trims of the Octavia, when you want to have the same level of options.

So, very refreshing to see such a nice topic about the Scout. Thank you, very interesting.

Thank you for kind words Blueshark. 

Cars in general are priced absolutely crazy in Norway and we are known for our taxes towards vehicles. We actually paid well over 50k euros for this car with all except three options. As for snow this is indeed a good car for Norway :)

• Like 1

Nice upgrades!

What hood dampers did you get. Were these avaliable from the dealer? And how about the led lights?

Edit: Sorry, I just read about the dampers.

Edited by Riolux