S3 Xenon lamp replacement guide

dstev2000

Followed your guide and changed bulbes (xenon) a couple of days ago - difference like night and day :) Old bulbs has been used for 135K km /3years and had so low output that they were outshined by an old Nissan Micra with halogen and streetlights.

As I'm returning the car in a month or so I went for the standard Osram Xenarc bulbs.

Biggest concern was the fuse box, it's a really tight fit both for the hand (Size 10) and to get the bulb in and out. I was afraid of damaging the bulb so it took roughly 20 minutes for the left side (left hand drive), right side took 3 minutes.

Thanks for a really good guide!

• 2 years later...

Have removed bulb but struggling to refit. It's the type with a metal spring clip.

Is the bulb meant to come out on its own with no plastic add-on? Any tips on getting the spring to reseat properly with the bulb in position? Thanks.

Edit. Used needle nose pliers on the spring clip. This gave me enough purchase to push forwards to engage it properly.

Edited by anewman

• 1 year later...

I can't get the bulb in either. It has the metal clip. The bulb just doesn't seem to seat properly at all, and there's so little space I can just about get my hand in to manoeuvre the clips. I've tried for an hour now and scratched my hand to shreds!

Should the bulb feel like it's seated into a certain position when it's in the right place? Power socket facing down, right?

Is there a knack to putting the clips back into position whilst keep the bulb in the right place?

I feel so incompetent that I can't even replace a bulb!

1 hour ago, bjh77 said:

I can't get the bulb in either. It has the metal clip. The bulb just doesn't seem to seat properly at all, and there's so little space I can just about get my hand in to manoeuvre the clips. I've tried for an hour now and scratched my hand to shreds!

Should the bulb feel like it's seated into a certain position when it's in the right place? Power socket facing down, right?

Is there a knack to putting the clips back into position whilst keep the bulb in the right place?

I feel so incompetent that I can't even replace a bulb!

One trick I've used on other cars was to raise the rear of the car, if working outdoors put a back wheel up on the kerb the bulb will stay in place better while you're making that split second move to grab the eye of the spring clip. I never managed to change mine it was ridiculously difficult so I left the original bulbs in place. 

Took the wheel arch liner out earlier.  A bit better access but STILL wasn't able to fit it properly! Then ended damaging the bulb 😡. I think I'm just going to swallow my pride and take it to my local mechanic.  God knows how much a Skoda garage would charge. I can't believe how awful the design is. 

20 hours ago, bjh77 said:

Took the wheel arch liner out earlier.  A bit better access but STILL wasn't able to fit it properly! Then ended damaging the bulb 😡. I think I'm just going to swallow my pride and take it to my local mechanic.  God knows how much a Skoda garage would charge. I can't believe how awful the design is. 

I brought mine to a local garage and they couldn't do it🫣. They were wanting to take the headlights out but were giving me no guarantee I wouldn't have problems with front sensors etc after removing the front bumper, I told them to leave it and I sold the bulbs on FB marketplace.