Exhausts

little bit disappointed by got 2.0 TSI 220ps with exhausts turned down like a Diesel

20160317_094112_25p.thumb.jpg.8b25d8ce5b87d808cea7f4e9571d560c.jpg

20160317_094058_25p.thumb.jpg.848779f5bbd04aba87308bf31e006f5b.jpg

to lucky 280ps 4x4 drivers, can someone share more detailed pictures than

P1020346.jpg

are they real or fake?
have found fake by ~60euros

another less important question what engines have that protection cover?

1344078d1424804458-2015-skoda-superb-off
Edited by MartiniB

280PS exhausts are not fake.

Only the 280PS had visible exhausts although I believe all the sportline cars will have them.

280PS exhausts are not fake.

Only the 280PS had visible exhausts although I believe all the sportline cars will have them.

Yep but I think the Sport Line ones will be a fake trim as well.

I have got the 190 TDI on order and to be honest I don't give a dam about the exhaust exiting below the car, the chrome ones that stick out the back are just something else to clean, don't quite get this exhaust envy thing, never have.

• Like 1

little bit disappointed by got 2.0 TSI 220ps with exhausts turned down like a Diesel

20160317_094112.jpg

20160317_094058.jpg

P1020346.jpg

are they real or fake?

But, at least the 220 is quiet, as suits the car, the 280 is noisy both inside & out.

Probably worse than a Golf R!

DC

Yep but I think the Sport Line ones will be a fake trim as well.

Yes the sportline car I saw on a video had the visible exhausts but they were blanked off, thought this just might be a show car though.

20160317_094112.jpg

20160317_094058.jpg

P1020346.jpg

are they real or fake?

But, at least the 220 is quiet, as suits the car, the 280 is noisy both inside & out.

Probably worse than a Golf R!

DC

Mine doesn't seem any noisier than my old 1.8 Scout DC ? Have you driven a Golf R out of interest ? I see you've discounted he 280 because it's noisy and your 2ltr offers better performance between 30-60. If I put my foot down in Sport at 30 it really goes like stink.

Would be an interesting comparison to make... If you fancy doing a vid from 30-60 in your mapped Superb and i'll do the same. Would be good to see what difference your extra low down torque has in the real world ?

Edited by Nick_H

the 280 is noisy both inside & out.

My 280 is quieter inside in normal driving than my previous E class Merc until you start to use the revs when it makes a very pleasant noise.

I think most 280 owners would complain if it did not have the sporty sound when you used the evs.

Don't know about the outside.

• Like 4

Mine doesn't seem any noisier than my old 1.8 Scout DC ? Have you driven a Golf R out of interest ? I see you've discounted he 280 because it's noisy and your 2ltr offers better performance between 30-60. If I put my foot down in Sport at 30 it really goes like stink.

Would be an interesting comparison to make... If you fancy doing a vid from 30-60 in your mapped Superb and i'll do the same. Would be good to see what difference your extra low down torque has in the real world ?

Yes, we've driven two R's. a hatch 7 & an estate.

Didn't do much with the hatch, only a short drive & the sales guy wanted to go home!

W had three outings in the estate, 1st on our own, (as per the 280) & again with the (different) sales guy to show us some faster roads outside the Norwich city limits & then to

show how quieter it was with the soundactor (?) switched off.

Whilst on our own I did punch the car way from a stopline in the Norwich 'burbs without warning 'erself & we were impressed.........

I really wanted to like the 280 & had hoped that it would have similar get up & go to the R but it didn't.

Maybe we were unlucky, but it's off my personal shopping list. What SWMBO does with her money is her own business. 

I need to make a proper comparison between my current cars, & if I can find a way to video them, then that would be informative.

Otherwise, if I find myself opp North sometime, then we could find a quiet straight road somewhere.

I to find it hard to believe that my car is actually quicker than a 280, it has less power,a liitle more torque but weighs app 150 kg more than the new car, but it does have

shorter gearing which usually helps when accelerating.

One other point, I've used my fuel records to calculate the fuel consumption, & in the 15000 miles & 3 years that I've owned the car, it's averaged 38 mpg.

Maybe I'm using the remap's better efficiency to gain economy rather than to drive fast?

DC

Interesting. I would have honestly thought that off the line that the R and the 280 'berb would have felt very similar.

Last post too short, sorry!

We / I really wanted to like / desire a 280, probably a hatch even though I don't like the styling as much, we've been offered decent enough deals for both 280's & Octy vRS's  

but, every time I buried the gas pedal into the carpet we just felt "where's the go!". The exhaust noise was also noticeable, far more than I'd expect of a L&K car, if that makes any sense.

I could accept the soundtrack if it was  "vRS or Sportline" badged but not on an L&K expect a bit more hush with that trim level!

It really did make my old S2 Elegance feel the nicer car, especially on the return journey!

If I want a "sporty" drive, our EOS is a bit fruity, especially with the top down & that's right & proper, but our big silver barge is very much fit for purpose,even though it has 

4 genuine, fully working, exhaust tips, which are very muted. 

I don't know why Skoda felt them to be necessary, maybe they make the car quieter?

DC

My 280 is quieter inside in normal driving than my previous E class Merc until you start to use the revs when it makes a very pleasant noise.

I think most 280 owners would complain if it did not have the sporty sound when you used the evs.

Don't know about the outside.

Maybe the estate body-shell is intrinsically noisy? You are driving one, so you can better judge than I.

FWIW, all 3 of my Mondeo Mk3 V6 Estates had some road noise from the rear, but very little exhaust noise at all, I know that the V6's were tuned to

make a nice induction noise instead, which only became audible above 3K rpm, 

DC

Last post too short, sorry!

We / I really wanted to like / desire a 280, probably a hatch even though I don't like the styling as much, we've been offered decent enough deals for both 280's & Octy vRS's  

but, every time I buried the gas pedal into the carpet we just felt "where's the go!". The exhaust noise was also noticeable, far more than I'd expect of a L&K car, if that makes any sense.

I could accept the soundtrack if it was  "vRS or Sportline" badged but not on an L&K expect a bit more hush with that trim level!

It really did make my old S2 Elegance feel the nicer car, especially on the return journey!

If I want a "sporty" drive, our EOS is a bit fruity, especially with the top down & that's right & proper, but our big silver barge is very much fit for purpose,even though it has 

4 genuine, fully working, exhaust tips, which are very muted. 

I don't know why Skoda felt them to be necessary, maybe they make the car quieter?

DC

lol ! I don't know DC... Are you sure it was a 280 ? Did you make sure your foot was to the floor ? Maybe we have different definitions of performance but coming from a Westfield type with 0.60 of around 4.8 seconds a TVR with a 0-60 of around 5.7 seconds and a 370 bhp Cobra with a 0-60 of.... Well Im not sure exactly my 280 doesn't feel lagging ....

Anyone else have any comparisons with their 280.... Come on we need to get DC back on the correct path !!

:-D

How you can call the 280 slow is beyond me,ive gone from an octavia vrs mark 3 tsi to my 280 and the superb is much quicker,a work mate drives a golf R and as we work nights we often have a bit of fun on the empty roads to work when our paths cross and he has great difficulty in shaking me off,much to my delight.was it in eco mode? Not all 100% with the one you drove mechanicly? Ive had audi A8's 2.5 s Bmw Z4'the octy tsi,chrysler 300C,a 325i bmw and the 280 blows my socks off every time i plant my foot,most rapid car ive ever owned,every one who travels in it are gob smacked at the speed,all motoring reviews start off with the words'the ultimate q car'.its even made the top 10 ultimate q cars ever made,and hampshire police,im told by a police friend,have ordered 6 280 estates.0-62 in 5.8,thats 0-60 in 5.6,slow!! If you drive in a normal manner its whisper quite,want fun,bury the pedal,lovely sporty growl.each to there own,you buy a car that suits you sir,but the 280 slow,well,any day you fancy a burn up,youre more than welcome,just hope you dont allready have a wooden spoon.

Sportline's looks as fake

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%2016.47.

The only Sportline that has visible exhaust trims will be the 280 this photo shows it better... the chrome trim is a full width (one piece) trim, which is probably what I will go for (looked into options of fitting visible tailpipes and the only cost effective solution is the Milotec trims, which may look OK from a distance but I know for a fact would bug me!)

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%2016.46.

lol ! I don't know DC... Are you sure it was a 280 ? Did you make sure your foot was to the floor ? Maybe we have different definitions of performance but coming from a Westfield type with 0.60 of around 4.8 seconds a TVR with a 0-60 of around 5.7 seconds and a 370 bhp Cobra with a 0-60 of.... Well Im not sure exactly my 280 doesn't feel lagging ....

Anyone else have any comparisons with their 280.... Come on we need to get DC back on the correct path !!

:-D

It had 4x4 writ on der back, twin exhausts, the red-line started at 6K, & it was averaging 25 mpg, so I believe it was a petrol 280.

We did play with the modes, selected "normal" most of the time, but dropped the stick back into "S"for maximum performance.

I was wearing normal shoes, & my right foot went as far down as possible.Also the roads were damp & the rear view camera lens was filthy!

We also got to drive a 4x4 190 diesel hatch, a bit less road noise, quiet exhaust, usual diesel sounds & even less performance.....

How you can call the 280 slow is beyond me,ive gone from an octavia vrs mark 3 tsi to my 280 and the superb is much quicker,a work mate drives a golf R and as we work nights we often have a bit of fun on the empty roads to work when our paths cross and he has great difficulty in shaking me off,much to my delight.was it in eco mode? Not all 100% with the one you drove mechanicly? Ive had audi A8's 2.5 s Bmw Z4'the octy tsi,chrysler 300C,a 325i bmw and the 280 blows my socks off every time i plant my foot,most rapid car ive ever owned,every one who travels in it are gob smacked at the speed,all motoring reviews start off with the words'the ultimate q car'.its even made the top 10 ultimate q cars ever made,and hampshire police,im told by a police friend,have ordered 6 280 estates.0-62 in 5.8,thats 0-60 in 5.6,slow!! If you drive in a normal manner its whisper quite,want fun,bury the pedal,lovely sporty growl.each to there own,you buy a car that suits you sir,but the 280 slow,well,any day you fancy a burn up,youre more than welcome,just hope you dont allready have a wooden spoon.

We have a few wooden spoons, ta very much, in the our kitchens & parked in the garage.

The car seemed to be running normally, easy to drive & quite comfortable, just not especially quick.

Maybe it's been tweaked somehow to keep potential customers from killing themselves, or we are just too old / stupid / whatever 

to appreciate it's performance or it just wasn't typical of the model. 

There aren't many 280 demonstrators around, so if any of you proud owners are likely to be in / around East London or South Essex, then we would really appreciate a ride,

before I either close my wallet, or spend the pennies elsewhere!

DC

• Like 1

It had 4x4 writ on der back, twin exhausts, the red-line started at 6K, & it was averaging 25 mpg, so I believe it was a petrol 280.

We did play with the modes, selected "normal" most of the time, but dropped the stick back into "S"for maximum performance.

I was wearing normal shoes, & my right foot went as far down as possible.Also the roads were damp & the rear view camera lens was filthy!

We also got to drive a 4x4 190 diesel hatch, a bit less road noise, quiet exhaust, usual diesel sounds & even less performance.....

We have a few wooden spoons, ta very much, in the our kitchens & parked in the garage.

The car seemed to be running normally, easy to drive & quite comfortable, just not especially quick.

Maybe it's been tweaked somehow to keep potential customers from killing themselves, or we are just too old / stupid / whatever 

to appreciate it's performance or it just wasn't typical of the model. 

There aren't many 280 demonstrators around, so if any of you proud owners are likely to be in / around East London or South Essex, then we would really appreciate a ride,

before I either close my wallet, or spend the pennies elsewhere!

DC

Was that request aimed at me lol

Maybe when it's been run in and I've "tested" it in Germany in July ;)

I've owned and driven plenty of fast cars from Ferraris  to Mitsubishis and I can say that the 280 is one of the quickest ever.

Stick into sport mode and it's so fast it's almost scary.

I really cannot see how you can describe it as slow, absolutley baffling.

• Like 1

@Philsmith

please share detailed pictures of 280ps's Exhausts

The red one above is mine. I also think I posted a pic of the underneath somewhere if you search...

Was that request aimed at me lol

Maybe when it's been run in and I've "tested" it in Germany in July ;)

No, it wasn't aimed at you at all, but you are probably the nearest 280 owner.

When you've finished the "testing", & if I've not given-up altogether, maybe we could sort-out a test ridesometime.

Cheers, DC. 

I've owned and driven plenty of fast cars from Ferraris  to Mitsubishis and I can say that the 280 is one of the quickest ever.

Stick into sport mode and it's so fast it's almost scary.

I really cannot see how you can describe it as slow, absolutley baffling.

All I said / meant was that it wasn't as quick as we expected.

Obviously slower than a Golf R, but it didn't make any of our little fleet feel sluggish either.

It's possible that all of our AMD remaps have spoilt us a little, or that the 280 that we drove isn't up to par,  

but we were not impressed.

I really wanted to be impressed though, 'cos I could then justify shelling-out £33 to £34.5K on a new car for myself,

but right now I feel that I shouldn't so.

My problem, my choices, if I can find an alternative car to purchase at an affordable price I will, if not I'll stay with

what I already own.

DC

No, it wasn't aimed at you at all, but you are probably the nearest 280 owner.

When you've finished the "testing", & if I've not given-up altogether, maybe we could sort-out a test ridesometime.

Cheers, DC. 

I think that I must be, I'm sure that something can be arranged; my Brother has an Octavia VRS 220PS DSG and although I'm still getting used to mine his does feel quicker and more dynamic, maybe its gear ratios or final drive ratios or maybe I'm not pushing the loud peddle hard enough lol.

I'm sure I'll learn to drive it soon!