Skoda Superb - Towbar Demo Video

RickTT

• 2 months later...
On 01/06/2018 at 17:18, zappahey said:

Apropos of not very much, I was really surprised, and impressed, that the alarm sounded when I unplugged my trailer last night and then I got an email from Skoda connect to let me know.

Yes, the alarm wired though the socket is a great idea and feature...

One other thing, when the socket is connected, it disables the option of ECO mode - which is understandable for wanting full power when towing a caravan, but when its a bike rack its not really an advantage.

Edited by RickTT

That clearance looks very tight indeed to the bumper. I have an aftermarket detachable fitted (Towtrust) which cost me £575 inc electrics and it takes all of about 5s to fit it/remove it. Clearance is much better than the factory bar. Advantage of detachable is that it stays even cleaner when not in use too. It’s also totally invisible once removed, just like the factory bar. 

BCA58C5E-A7AE-4E8E-BFE7-9A5B6D3A8D81.jpeg

F1E2A25F-7006-438F-BA5A-C062BAA94870.jpeg

Edited by Beefcake

The factory fitted one is fine for clearance with an Alko hitch. For the £720 you also get an updated alternator and I think an upgraded radiator. 

I’m  absolutely delighted with mine. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I picked up my 2nd hand Superb with factory fitted tow bar a few months ago and there a few paint chips on the ball which have started to go rusty. Is this a problem or fairly standard with a tow bar? And is there a way to protect the tow bar when not in use?

On 30/07/2018 at 13:46, ashr said:

I picked up my 2nd hand Superb with factory fitted tow bar a few months ago and there a few paint chips on the ball which have started to go rusty. Is this a problem or fairly standard with a tow bar? And is there a way to protect the tow bar when not in use?

It’s fairly standard after it’s been used to have some paint missing.

i use some Vaseline/other grease or wd40 to stop it corroding. There will always be slight surface rusting though

What are you using your towbar for? If you are towing a caravan with a stabiliser hitch, then you should have sanded off all of the paint anyway and NOT use any sort of lubricant at all as this will contaminate the friction pads and render your stabiliser useless. If you are using a bike carrier which grips the towball, again sand off the paint and no grease or anything. 

Thanks for the replies both. I'm not actually using the tow bar at the moment, it just came part of the car I bought. So I think for now I will put some lubricant on to protect it while not in use but if I come to use it in the future will degrease it and sand off the paint. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2018 at 20:28, ashr said:

Thanks for the replies both. I'm not actually using the tow bar at the moment, it just came part of the car I bought. So I think for now I will put some lubricant on to protect it while not in use but if I come to use it in the future will degrease it and sand off the paint. 

Get some ACF50 on it. Will stop the rusting while its not in use. Works a treat on my motorcycle for winter riding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2018 at 00:53, Anthonyh_b said:

Get some ACF50 on it. Will stop the rusting while its not in use. Works a treat on my motorcycle for winter riding.

Thanks for the tip Anthonyh_b, never heard of that stuff but it looks useful for a whole load of things!

• 9 months later...

Hello Briskodians, I am fairly new to your forums and have followed some of the topics relating to Superb Mk3.  I hope it is O.K to ask a question relating to the Tow ball topic.  I recently had a swivel ball fitted to my Mk3 Superb, at a cost of £1200.  I have only used it for a round trip to Scotland of 640 miles and had no problems at all, it towed really well.  My only problem is that the warning indicator light doesn't work at all.  I queried this at the Skoda dealer when it was fitted and they  just said " oh well it doesn't work".  Not happy with that answer I contacted Skoda after sales.  They 'elevated ' my complaint to the Technical Team.  After five weeks and several phone calls their reply was that the indicator light cannot be made to work on retro fitted kits.  I find this extremely puzzling as they fit a new wiring harness from the front to rear of the car and a new control module.   

Surely they don't leave out one wire that would power this safety warning light?  Has any one has the same problem after a retro fit?

The Tow ball does lock in place with an obvious 'click', but for £1200 you would think they could include the safety warning light!!

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
On 05/06/2018 at 23:40, Beefcake said:

That clearance looks very tight indeed to the bumper. I have an aftermarket detachable fitted (Towtrust) which cost me £575 inc electrics and it takes all of about 5s to fit it/remove it. Clearance is much better than the factory bar. Advantage of detachable is that it stays even cleaner when not in use too. It’s also totally invisible once removed, just like the factory bar. 

BCA58C5E-A7AE-4E8E-BFE7-9A5B6D3A8D81.jpeg

F1E2A25F-7006-438F-BA5A-C062BAA94870.jpeg

Do you have some visuals when the towbar is taken away? I am curious if there is anything to see when its removed.

Many thanks 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi lads just bought a L&K Superb Combi with a factory towbar (stealer missed it🤣🤣), just wondering does anyone have a pic of a caravan attached. Coming from an X5 where clearance wasn't an issue to seeing pics here has me a bit worried. TIA

• 2 months later...
On 29/12/2021 at 23:10, Morgan78 said:

Hi lads just bought a L&K Superb Combi with a factory towbar (stealer missed it🤣🤣), just wondering does anyone have a pic of a caravan attached. Coming from an X5 where clearance wasn't an issue to seeing pics here has me a bit worried. TIA

Update: here is a pic of my factory towbar with a caravan with an alko towbar attached. Just to show clearance for people (like myself) that wanted to check 

IMG_20220305_160237.jpg

IMG_20220305_160221.jpg

• 2 months later...

Anyone else having problems with the release cable becoming detached from the handle/plate on the inside of the rear bumper?

I've managed to get hold of the end of the cable with some pliers twice already, but I'm afraid this way it won't last forever...

Yes i had a problem with the release handle , if you take the handle apart you will see there is a locking tab that secures the ball of the cable  the dealer obviously never saw this when it was fitted , bit of fiddling but fixed and has never happened agaon to me 

• Like 1