What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

4 minutes ago, Grief said:

Thanks a lot for the advice... Not :)

These do not fit as they are BAU15s with the pins at an offset.

Rear indicators on the MKIII are BA15s where the pins are exactly opposite each other.

On the hatch at least they certainly DO use BAU15s / PY21W

Just replaced the reverse lights in mine (MY17 hatch) with these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-80W-16x-CREE-LED-1156-BA15S-White-LED-Car-Reverse-Tail-Fog-Light-Headlamp/172410661668

Slightly brighter and a noticeably wider spread… much whiter light too. No bulb errors, but they do seem to interfere with the DAB reception when in use, but not a major issue though.

15 hours ago, Gizmo said:

On the hatch at least they certainly DO use BAU15s / PY21W

Yeah I can only say they fitted on mine!  :)

One thing I have noticed though is that they interfere with DAB radio reception.  If I'm in  a weak reception area, every time I indicate, the radio goes off for a few seconds!!

8 hours ago, Lee_M said:

they interfere with DAB radio reception

This appears to be a known condition, not just in vehicles: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/11312589/Problems-with-LED-bulbs-and-DAB-radio.html

Regulated here

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2015/R010r5e.pdf

And electromagnetic compatibility for vehicle products is tested for manufacturers by firms like

https://www.dekra-certification.com/en/emc-e4 (and many others) 

So it appears that the electronic drivers fitted to non-E4-stamped parts cause wide-spectrum electromagnetic interference.

Maybe when the brake lights are lit, the DAB reception of surrounding cars is also blanked out! :sadsmile:

I wish there were more affordable approved parts on the market! 

• Thanks 1

Recently replaced my yellow front fogs with a pair of these...

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=468&secumt=I3RhYi1yZXZpZXc=

Good bulbs and at last the headlamps and foglamps are pretty much the same colour but....

I keep getting a warning telling me to check the LH fog lamp.

There's nothing wrong with the bulb, it works just fine. I have even swapped the bulbs over but still get the Check LH foglamp warning.

It doesn't come on straight away either. It only seems to come on when a left turn would cause the LH fog lamp to light up. Trouble is, once the warning is on, it doesn't go away until the ignition is switched off and I'm getting a bit fed up with the bright orange triangle glowing away below the multidot display.

Any ideas anyone?

If a standard bulb doesn’t give an error I would guess the load resistor of the new bulb(s) just isn’t a big enough draw for the nearside circuit/loom.

I went for these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ONC31MK

They are very close to the 6k LED DRL I’m using and only have a slight blue tint… worth a try for a tenner?

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2017 at 10:34, Alan_P said:

Interesting… what month was your car built? Is it possible the current brochure doesn’t tie in with all MY18 cars and the LED sidelights were added a little later? Could you take a pic of your headlight sticker?

Brochures:

my17-18.jpg.7930d8451a67cd421701be98c8a2c088.jpg

It is really annoying, but even if I was OK with the original sidelights, I wouldn’t have been OK with removing the bumper and headlight then a realignment just to change a bulb. I certainly wouldn’t have been happy to pay the labour costs either… or even the ridiculous amount dealers charge for a conventional PWY24W. Dropping the liner is definitely the easier job and now I just remove a cap to change the bulb.

The brochure lies! Got my car Friday and its has yellow Halogen DRL's! They look even worse now as have Philips Racing H7's installed. Trouble is no locking wheel nut key I can find so can't take the wheels off yet, will contact the dealer as I expect its left on a torque wrench in their workshop, I ordered a space saver but got a 205/55/R16 spare, trouble is real tyres are 215/55/R17 so a different circumference by over 5% ....

My headlamp sticker below

Cheers    

lamp.jpg

Thanks for the update. Not sure if they changed their mind about the spec or it’s just a straight up brochure error… not good.

I was also missing the locking nut key (and a few other items) but they were insistent I brought the car in and ordered a new set to be fitted. I ended up getting the same one so it was either a huge coincidence or they had a few keys (including mine) kicking about.

I seem to remember the spare isn’t the same circumference as it’s only for temp use… maybe someone can conform the size it should be?

Edited by Alan_P

I'm picking up a 162 Mk 3 L&K on Friday (tick, tock...) and would like to change the interior lighting out for LEDs. Have any of ye bought a kit recently or recommend somewhere to purchase please?

Don’t suppose anyone’s got a photo showing the current MY18 LED DRLs with the standard halogen headlamps?

I ordered a Superb 1.4 TSi DSG hatch just after Christmas. Standard headlamps at the front, but LEDs at rhe rear - not by choice, but because they come in a package with the electric tailgate.

I’ve seen plenty of photos of the rear LEDs, and LED DRLs with xenon fronts, but none of the LED DRLs with your basic headlamps.

Realise I’m probably 94th person to ask this question...

Edited by MorrisOx

It doesn’t have them… the brochure is wrong:

On 14/01/2018 at 18:32, Vtec9000 said:

The brochure lies! Got my car Friday and its has yellow Halogen DRL's! They look even worse now as have Philips Racing H7's installed. Trouble is no locking wheel nut key I can find so can't take the wheels off yet, will contact the dealer as I expect its left on a torque wrench in their workshop, I ordered a space saver but got a 205/55/R16 spare, trouble is real tyres are 215/55/R17 so a different circumference by over 5% ....

30 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

It doesn’t have them… the brochure is wrong:

There is a picture on the previous page of this thread showing a 17 plate version, to my eyes on my car they look even more yellow on my 4 day old 67 plate.

Oh and after a heated phone call I found my locking wheel nut bolt key, for some reason the dealer (Blade Gloucester) leaves them under the windscreen washer refill cap sitting on the gauze but doesn't tell you that when they hand the car over, strange!

• Confused 1

Just installed these in the tailgate https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Courtesy-Luggage-Trunk-Boot-Footwell-Door-Light-VW-Passat-CC-Golf-Rabbit-Eos/262431708090

They needed filing a bit on the back corner furthest from the wires to fit into the holes without excessive force but nothing tricky, 20seconds filing at approx 45degrees across the back edge.

The wire clips are also rather a tight fit but they do go in once lined up right.

Pictures speak for themselves really - converted from pointless to useful.

Exposure was locked for all the pictures.

Standard

P1430641s.thumb.jpg.7299fd9b779f8927a74efa9f559de2f3.jpg

New on the right

P1430642s.thumb.jpg.f2f7bbd1036355a1566210a74ae7cb37.jpg

Both replaced

P1430643s.thumb.jpg.d18b58e1ff5e39a1d5a056c052b19488.jpg

The box label

P1430644s.thumb.jpg.4818d1977abad9e54cdc76de63b9c9e3.jpg

Edited by paul_7_7_7
  • Like 1

Looks a lot better that.

I ordered the super Skoda ones as I wanted tried and trusted. Just the boot interior to sort now, but my boot is lit by that removable torch? Any ideas.

Im so annoyed they use halogen for some of the bulbs and LED for the rest!

7 hours ago, MartiniB said:

to complete trunk illumination
hatch's ownenrs have to install extra two bulbs under cover,
5a66f1041182a_fa0fc39s-9601.jpg.7a2a3a3918ee5c14307f73b6c1f4f0bd.jpg

Im surprised you felt the need for these additional lights, I ‘only’ have the two in the boot (replaced with superskoda LEDs) and they are more than bright enough to light the whole boot up.

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

they are more than bright enough to light the whole boot up

it's perfectly illuminated when empty,
insert some suitcase and there is darkness
as well bulbs from the top little bit illuminating ground area around car's rear

i not regret, also after had to pay 39e to dealer for install them

On 23/01/2018 at 19:38, MartiniB said:

it's perfectly illuminated when empty,
insert some suitcase and there is darkness
as well bulbs from the top little bit illuminating ground area around car's rear

i not regret, also after had to pay 39e to dealer for install them

That’s half my battle. The boot lights get smothered by the pushchairs and other baby/child paraphernalia. Well my little torch boot light is like a candle!

Ill be fitting my hatch lights tomorrow. 

Makes sense now the estate gets hatch lights and non estate the boot lights. 

Edited by aldouk

12 hours ago, aldouk said:

That’s half my battle. The boot lights get smothered by the pushchairs and other baby/child paraphernalia. Well my little torch boot light is like a candle!

Ill be fitting my hatch lights tomorrow. 

Makes sense now the estate gets hatch lights and non estate the boot lights. 

Where are you planning to put them? Are there holes already? 

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

Where are you planning to put them? Are there holes already? 

Yeah my hatch lights already present.  I think it’s like this on the estate or maybe it’s a Sportline thing? 

The wiring you you can tap in to off the electric hatch switch, I think @MartiniB mentioned this. 

finally have added bulbs also to rear doors!!!
long delay were connected to a fact they originally are powered by controllers(2х ~110€)
which are installed only in L&K.

but on russian forum i found info how they were added in Tiguan
https://www.drive2.com/l/487533077556363352/
and the same instructions were approved also there by @przemoka 

On 12/16/2017 at 14:59, przemoka said:

I connected positive to the engine (the thick white-red cable, pin 2)

and the negative to door lock cable (yellow-brown, pin 2).

before

180124_Door_Warning_Light_00_20p.thumb.jpg.ca971c7521d6156a2df829254f99c9ab.jpg

after

180124_Door_Warning_Light_01_20p.thumb.jpg.6289dea261b8ef1d217897ef4885f9e0.jpg

i had already bulb's bodies from front doors and i asked Ali to send only LEDs,
by mistake they sent 6+6 SMD version instead full set pictures have 6+12 SMD
but anyway that is lot better than stock reflectors 1K0 947 419 A.
how does look 6+12 version you can see in previous post about front doors

171220_Door_Warning_Light_00_p20.jpg.0b501c5ed4988562581538ac7e67f021.jpg

p.s.
LEDs in original 1KO 947 411 bodies produces little bit pink colour
instead LEDs in Ali's 3AD 947 411 bodies are perfectly red

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, aldouk said:

Yeah my hatch lights already present.  I think it’s like this on the estate or maybe it’s a Sportline thing? 

The wiring you you can tap in to off the electric hatch switch, I think @MartiniB mentioned this. 

I have lights only in the tailgate couldn't find them inside like on hatch, you already have them there? :o I have estate version and I want to add lights inside trunk like Hatch has. I hope I didn't confuse every thing up :D

58 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

finally have added bulbs also to rear doors!!!
long delay were connected to a fact they originally are powered by controllers(2х ~110€)
which are installed only in L&K.

but on russian forum i found info how they were added in Tiguan
https://www.drive2.com/l/487533077556363352/
and the same instructions were approved also there by @przemoka 

before

180124_Door_Warning_Light_00_20p.thumb.jpg.ca971c7521d6156a2df829254f99c9ab.jpg

after

180124_Door_Warning_Light_01_20p.thumb.jpg.6289dea261b8ef1d217897ef4885f9e0.jpg

i had already bulb's bodies from front doors and i asked Ali to send only LEDs,
by mistake they sent 6+6 SMD version instead full set pictures have 6+12 SMD
but anyway that is lot better than stock reflectors 1K0 947 419 A.
how does look 6+12 version you can see in previous post about front doors

171220_Door_Warning_Light_00_p20.jpg.0b501c5ed4988562581538ac7e67f021.jpg

p.s.
LEDs in original 1KO 947 411 bodies produces little bit pink colour
instead LEDs in Ali's 3AD 947 411 bodies are perfectly red

Nice touch! 

Im not faffing with my rear doors, will just have to make do.