What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

Thanks Samo but 1st link is not 360 degrees and second is 2500 lumen rather than 3600. No mention of canbus compatability plus I'm trying to avoid overseas sellers in preference for a seller in UK for quicker delivery and easier returns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The AliExpress LED fogs don't fit in a 280 because the nearside has an intercooler that is in the way. PM me if anyone wants to buy them off me.

Need to find shorter fog LEDs for 280 with similar colour and light output to the AliExpress ones Gizmo posted that are reasonably priced. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably by someone who has upgraded 280 fogs and can confirm they fit.

Oh! shoot....I have those which were intended for the 190. So they won't fit the 280 I have on order. Bummer.

Feel free to add your own upgraded bulbs for the S3 (ideally with links and photo’s showing before and after)

Front Fog lights 

H8 35W (OE are Osram)

Osram-64212-H8.jpg

I upgraded mine to 4,500K ( K = Kelvin colour temperature, OE Xenon’s headlights are between 4,300K - 4,500K)

4,500K halogen on left OE std halogen on right:

IMG_1318_zpspuduiwin.jpg

A much better colour and very close to the DRL’s, however they were pretty crap with regards to the light they emitted and were barely noticeable when they were turned on.

So I changed them for some LED’s http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7338546343.html?orderId=72923300641797 now it is worth noting these do not dim on or off like halogens do, they are a straight on/off, despite this they are IMO brilliant!:

IMG_1476_zpsfx8i3dij.jpg

I have previously tried some CREE LED’s in our Yeti (again H8 fitment) but despite these being advertised as ‘pure white’ were too blue for my liking so they never made it into the S3 (if you like them then I still have them!)

CREE on the left and a 4,500K halogen on the right:

37429e8e-72de-499b-82de-d4f5fefff14a_zps

THE OE FOG LIGHT BULBS ARE THE IDEAL COLOUR FOR USE IN THE FOG, IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WHITER LIKE I HAVE THEN YOU WILL LOSE THE PERFORMANCE IN THE FOG - as they are now used as CH/LH and cornering lights this is something I was prepared to sacrifice.

It is worth noting that these LEDs for the fogs DO NOT FIT the 280PS Superb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The AliExpress LED fogs don't fit in a 280 because the nearside has an intercooler that is in the way. PM me if anyone wants to buy them off me.

Need to find shorter fog LEDs for 280 with similar colour and light output to the AliExpress ones Gizmo posted that are reasonably priced. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably by someone who has upgraded 280 fogs and can confirm they fit.

That's a bummer.

Anyone had any luck finding fog LED bulbs for the 280?

Do you know if they will fit the 220?

Check to see if you have an intercooler behind the fog light.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've not had the car yet. Dealer reckons it's another 4 to 6 weeks. Thought I'd buy them ready for the new motor. :x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are not a true 80w, but rather an equivalent output to what a 80w halogen bulb would produce. 

Mine have been fitted 10 months now and are still perfect... no issues whatsoever. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have only front door courtesy light (version Style) and I would like to add/connect the rear door ones.

I have few questions:

1. How to remove rear door panel?

2. Where to connect the pins?

3. Do I need to activate something via VCDS? If yes, what exactly?

4. Can I use this set: https://www.aliexpre...2655491922.html   ?

Thanks for the guide. I was able to remove the panel. Socket is located on the top left side of the rear door, under the window, close to the door lock.There are only 2 empty pins in the socket. I connected the wires there. The wires from this set fits perfectly:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-LED-VW-Door-Warning-Light-With-LED-For-VW-Golf-5-6-Jetta-MK5-MK6/32655491922.html.

Unfortunately the light still don't work.

I'm pretty sure that they must be activated via VCDS.

Doe's anybody knows how to do this?

I am thinking of replacing the fog lights, but read some stories about removing the front grills. Does anybody have an idea how to? Without breaking or scratching anything?

I am thinking of replacing the fog lights, but read some stories about removing the front grills. Does anybody have an idea how to? Without breaking or scratching anything?

I replaced teh fog lights without any problems. Removing the front grills was very easy. You can find instructions in the car user manual.

I used these bulbs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Car-Headlights-G5-Car-LED-CREE-COB-head-light-Fan-H8-H9-H11-LED-Headlamp/32342410946.html

Edited by grzewoj