Squeaking Suspension (I think)

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with my car recently. It is a 64 plate Skoda Fabia Monte-Carlo Black Edition 1.2TSI Engine.

I have noticed recently that when I go over any bumps etc I get a horrible creaking/squeaking noise coming from what I am sure is the front passenger side area. It wasn't too bad at first but is now very loud at times. I took it to my Skoda dealership who investigated and replaced the top mount to my suspension, they were sure this was the issue as it has a lot of play; but upon getting it back a couple days a go I am already starting to hear it again?

Any idea what this could be? Is it normal? Should I take it back for another investiagtion?

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks everyone,

Kieran Harvey.

There are a few members on here that have had track rod ends replaced under warranty. Maybe this could be your issue. Have a search around the forum to find some threads. Also my son had the front shock absorbers replaced after they were leaking. Also under warranty.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I am after the easter holiday going to call up and ask for it to be investigated again, I will mention these things to them.

Hi,

I have a 2014 Monte Carlo 1.6Tdi with a similar issue. The dealer told me that sometimes the suspension bushes needs lubricating with silicon oil.

Edited by Towball
  • Like 1

Front antiroll bar bushes are common, normally lubricate them and the fault/creak goes. The track rod ball joints themselves used to creak but mainly on steering rather than over bumps.

Richard

Problem is a wouldn't know how to do it. I am guessing it is not a job complicated enough to take to a garage?

Oh sorry, I work in Skoda now so am trying to find out all I can. Yes easy enough can even do it on a jack on the drive, just follow the antiroll bar in from the wheel into the centre of the car until you come across the bushes and then spray some lubricant on them. I had a Rapid with the same complaint last week and I was amazed it went straight after spraying them.

Richard

• Like 1

Oh sorry, I work in Skoda now so am trying to find out all I can. Yes easy enough can even do it on a jack on the drive, just follow the antiroll bar in from the wheel into the centre of the car until you come across the bushes and then spray some lubricant on them. I had a Rapid with the same complaint last week and I was amazed it went straight after spraying them.

Richard

I am not sure I even know what an Anti-Roll bar is, problem is the sound is more from the Front right rather than in the center? I could give it a shot though what is best to spray on, WD40? Are bushes the ribbled rubber bits?

Sorry for being thick :wall:

Thanks again

Kieran.

I am not sure I even know what an Anti-Roll bar is, problem is the sound is more from the Front right rather than in the center? I could give it a shot though what is best to spray on, WD40? Are bushes the ribbled rubber bits?

Sorry for being thick :wall:

Thanks again

Kieran.

Honestly same as I did, if it's in warranty take it to the garage. Just incase it's more than just lubricating as its up to them to fix it then. As if you try it yourself they may be funny and say you made it worse some garages do that. So best off booking it in getting it checked.

Richard

Honestly same as I did, if it's in warranty take it to the garage. Just incase it's more than just lubricating as its up to them to fix it then. As if you try it yourself they may be funny and say you made it worse some garages do that. So best off booking it in getting it checked.

Richard

Yeah that's what I will do, I will book it in and ask them to check all my bushes and lubricate them see how much it will cost, doubt it is under warrenty. I will report back here when it's done and mark this solved if it stops the noise.

I think this may definatly be the issue however, just done a run in it and when the road is saturated from rain it is not as bad and towards the end of journey stopped a little?

Thanks again :happy:

Kieran.

Yeah that's what I will do, I will book it in and ask them to check all my bushes and lubricate them see how much it will cost, doubt it is under warrenty. I will report back here when it's done and mark this solved if it stops the noise.

I think this may definatly be the issue however, just done a run in it and when the road is saturated from rain it is not as bad and towards the end of journey stopped a little?

Thanks again :happy:

Kieran.

A 64 plate should be under warranty, 3 year warranty. Mines still covered and it's 63 plate. Booked it in for loads of work on the 5th :) and I get to do it all myself.

Ring a dealer and ask first, shouldn't be charged at all

Richard

• Like 1

A 64 plate should be under warranty, 3 year warranty. Mines still covered and it's 63 plate. Booked it in for loads of work on the 5th :) and I get to do it all myself.

Ring a dealer and ask first, shouldn't be charged at all

Richard

Will do as soon as they are open again, I get all my work done in Aylsford.

• 4 years later...

Hi what was the outcome please? I've a 2010 1.6tdi fabia that is creaking loudly over bumps from passenger front side. Driving me crazy. Garage said nothing found at mot and service argh. can reduce or go temporarily when spray wd40 up the metal suspension coils above the wheel. Not sure where else to put the lubricant (ooer) , or about this silicone lubricant mentioned above. please respond on any progress, thank you. James

Hi what was the outcome please? I've a 2010 1.6tdi fabia that is creaking loudly over bumps from passenger front side. Driving me crazy. Garage said nothing found at mot and service argh. can reduce or go temporarily when spray wd40 up the metal suspension coils above the wheel. Not sure where else to put the lubricant (ooer) , or about this silicone lubricant mentioned above. please respond on any progress, thank you. James

Thank you to Richard92 - I've followed his advice as best I can. spraying wd40 over every suspension related and it's sorted my car a treat. 

The only real drawback to lubricating things is that you may get more sh1te stick to the lube or once the lubing effect wears off, the noise starts to return. I know from experience, suspension may be noisier in either very cold or very wet weather. Usually until you have driven for a short while and then it fades, perhaps as the offending parts warm up in use. If noise is continual, comes back very quick or won't fade, get the vehicle looked at as it may otherwise become dangerous. (General advise, not specific to anyones situation).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/03/2016 at 20:33, Richard92 said:

Richard

hi ya can you tell me what size anti roll bar bushes to by for  a fabia 1.2 tsi 2014 thanks 

33 minutes ago, terminator said:

hi ya can you tell me what size anti roll bar bushes to by for  a fabia 1.2 tsi 2014 thanks 

I'd be amazed if there's anything wrong with your existing bushes, polybushes won't do anything for the ARB that the standard bushes aren't doing already, namely keep it located while it twists.

• Like 1

it is ever the arb bushes or the top mounts squeaking when i go over road bumps just would like to no what size the bushes are as i.ve  seen 3  different  sizes from a  16mm to a 19 mm  many thanks  

22 minutes ago, terminator said:

it is ever the arb bushes or the top mounts squeaking when i go over road bumps just would like to no what size the bushes are as i.ve  seen 3  different  sizes from a  16mm to a 19 mm  many thanks  

The answer is that it depends, frankly it's best just to measure your ARB to be certain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2013 Greenline II is doing this (has been for a couple of years) Only seems to do it if left to stand for prolonged periods, or its Damn cold (unfortunately due to current circumstances, both of these scenarios are relevant!)

Had my local dealership have a look (they had it for a few days) they said that after "Intensive investigations" (their words), they found Nowt!! But still charged me an arm and a leg for the privilege!

It stopped for a while, but as I said, because of the car standing for 5 to 7 days at a time (working from home) and the cold weather, when I do go out it's come back!! "Creak Creak Creak!" when ever I go over a bump, or hit a big pot hole (which there are lots of)

i used some Holts RL2R LOYHMTN0301A Professional Silicone Spray on  the anti roll bushes and the top mount on the suspension mine squeaked on the left side just dropped the sus /leg and sprayed it from the top of the car very easy only took me 20/30/ minutes had no squeak since 

• Like 1