Northern Ireland Meet - Sunday 24th July 2016

JonnyHS

I would not hae thought that about the A75 :D

Years and years of frequenting the Irish sea routes means I have a deep hate of the A75! There is an art to it in a car of getting off the boat first and getting the heck out of dodge between ferry waves of traffic bumbling along the A75. Bar Glasgow/Edinburgh traffic (Edinburgh also via A75/M74 depending on preference), there isn't a pile up the A77 where as the rest of GB is accessible from the A75 and that A75 only :( Heading up the A77 gives access to about 3.5million people, the A75 to about 62million people, thus the volume of commercial traffic is substantially more and it goes out in waves every 90 minutes or so quickly descending into long spreads.  I actually like the A77 as it's got nicer scenery :) 

I had better keep the 31st July free as work can't give me a straight answer. Basically they could fill the days which have recently become empty, and they only have to give 4 weeks notice, so leaving it 'til the end of June to fix a date may not be the best idea.

So...

Edited by JonnyHS

DOES SUNDAY 24th JULY AT OXFORD ISLAND DISCOVERY CENTRE SUIT EVERYONE?

If I get a nod from here, I will start spreading the word in other places, virtual and otherwise. Anyone heard from Gobsheene recently?

Edited by JonnyHS
  • Like 2

If I get a nod from here, I will start spreading the word in other places, virtual and otherwise. Anyone heard from Gobsheene recently?

Sounds good to me, do we have a rough time in mind on the day? 

ps. if this turns out to be the date the above BIG RED could be added to post #1 also to help anyone who stumbles across the thread, so they wouldn't have to read through to find it.

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

Time depends on opening hours. Website is inconclusive, but I suspect we're looking at 2-5. Suits fine at this end. Yes, could we pin a top post?

Don't think I can edit post #1 after all this time. Would probably be best just posting a new locked thread. That would save anyone having to sort through all those discussions you had with mac11irl about ferries and Scottish roads....  :p

Edited by JonnyHS
  • Like 1

Time depends on opening hours. Website is inconclusive, but I suspect we're looking at 2-5. Suits fine at this end. Yes, could we pin a top post?

Don't think I can edit post #1 after all this time. Would probably be best just posting a new locked thread. That would save anyone having to sort through all those discussions you had with mac11irl about ferries and Scottish roads....  :p

I edit posts from years ago, but maybe it's a freedom thing to be able to? If you ask one of the adminy people, I am sure they would be happy to edit it for you in that case to copy and paste date/place/time into it in bit font. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the PM as well FUBAR! :D 

Date sounds good to me! 

I'll see if I can round up some other owners too... I know some of them are on the forum, just dont bliddy post in this far outreach! 

Not been to Oxford Island since old Maxpower type cruise nights, don't think i've ever been during the day! 

• Like 2

Best work out the times first though! I think the place is open all day, but the Discovery Centre is only 2-5 on a Sunday. The cafe may be different as I've seen someone posting about early walks and breakfasts on Sundays. I must be dim, but I can't figure it out, so I'll call Oxford Island in the morning before I start posting elsewhere. 

How does 1 sound. I'll probably have food with me (especially if the family are in tow), but it will give folk options once the place is open, and apparently BBQs are allowed too. I'm not going to bring sausages for everyone though - you can all feed yourselves.  :D

Edited by JonnyHS

I'll be there!  :thumbup:

• Like 2

I know the blue FL, seen it around too.

ill have to keep me eyes open for the Nordy plate ;)

Theres also a white FL mk2 on sligo plates and a black FL mk2 on tipp plates knocking around. And... theres a blue PFL literally across the estate from me.. really have to make time to get over there and see whats his story!

I know the lad who owns the white FL VRS actually.  Unfortunately though his wife and himself have just been let go from Abbott and will be moving back up to Sligo next month. His VRS actually started life in Fermanagh funny enough!!  :D  

I know the lad who owns the white FL VRS actually. Unfortunately though his wife and himself have just been let go from Abbott and will be moving back up to Sligo next month. His VRS actually started life in Fermanagh funny enough!! :D

Ah ****e :( Ive seen it down in dunnes a few times doing the shopping but thought it would be a bit weird hangun around to meet the owner :)

Cant say yeay or nay at the minute, until we figure out what we are doing re belfast and glasgow trip...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to be there with a mate or two in their vrs', Oxford Island great spot, we've had an annual aircooled show there since 2001. Wee cafes, playparks for kids not far from large petrol station etc and just of M1.

What sort of time?

• Like 3

Sorry all, **** going on.

No further on time. Keep meaning to phone Oxford Island and see what's open when on a Sunday (and to double check it's ok to meet up there).

Will move on it this week.

Jonny

• Like 1

They've two carparks, one at Discovery Centre that's about 2mile off main road, has café and almost 100% sure play area too. Then there's Kinnego Marina that's not far off main road, has café and kids play area. We've used both for aircooled shows on Sundays. Best ring though as other car clubs would use the odd time.

www.oxfordisland.com has pics of both although discovery centre link isn't working for me

Edited by 02VRS
  • Like 3

Right. Oxford Island are grand. No trouble at all, in fact the guy in charge was quite enthusiastic. "Skodas?" he said, "There'll be loads of you, they're EVERYWHERE!"  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

It's open from 10-5, with breakfast until 11.30 and other food available throughout the day, plus they're cool with BBQs if you fancy. I'm just to warn them of approximate numbers nearer the time. 

So, seeing as it's the guts of 4 hrs driving from Clonmel (you nutter, Yellowsnow), why don't we say lunchtime? 1 o'clock?

Not dictating here, that's a suggestion. Please chime in...

• Like 3

Right. Oxford Island are grand. No trouble at all, in fact the guy in charge was quite enthusiastic. "Skodas?" he said, "There'll be loads of you, they're EVERYWHERE!"  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

It's open from 10-5, with breakfast until 11.30 and other food available throughout the day, plus they're cool with BBQs if you fancy. I'm just to warn them of approximate numbers nearer the time. 

So, seeing as it's the guts of 4 hrs driving from Clonmel (you nutter, Yellowsnow), why don't we say lunchtime? 1 o'clock?

Not dictating here, that's a suggestion. Please chime in...

Takes about 3  ;) I'll probably be travelling up the night before maybe and then heading on from Fermanagh although did I see that some one else heading up from the south? I'm easy for any time!

• Like 2

Takes about 3  ;) I'll probably be travelling up the night before maybe and then heading on from Fermanagh although did I see that some one else heading up from the south? I'm easy for any time!

Where abouts, I will be heading up from furrymanagh too (still pending work not being tools)