The Brisky Whiskey Thread - Show Us Your Whiskey!

FUBAR

I bought my brother a bottle of 12 yo Glendronach for Christmas (matured in two different Sherry casks, but probably not first fill) and unfortunately was given a taster at the time....result, I bought a bottle for myself.

I also bought a bottle of Balvenie 15 yo malt for my Dad and also unfortunately was given a taster............result, I bought a bottle of it for my self and I am now skint and pretty well pished in equal measure. 

Both really smooth to drink and the Glendronach is good value I reckon. it's a 'stick a straw in the top of the bottle and drink away' kind of whisky, or is that just me?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first casualty of 2018.. lasted reasonably well 22/12/17 - 6/1/18 :D

IMAG1144.thumb.jpg.eab7e1fba34abc9b1f1858654eaf2e98.jpg

Last glass is iced up and about to get consumed...

As you can tell by the date i started drinking this 1) i was off work for a few days and 2) its manky.. not at all a nice drink ;)

@Dithane i bottled it. I just couldnt buy the cordial ...

Edited by mac11irl
  • Haha 3

Well, while you were gorging on the Irishman ( !? ), @mac11irl , I've been very discreetly tippling and sipping on this rare one .. 

Seems to be discontinued now. It's a blend and it's very, very smooth. As in, dangerously smooth !

.... ummm ... think I need a reminder now ... just a teeny, teeny, little one ... 

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

Mmmm ... 

Cordial ?  Heinous sacrilege !  Not cordial to cordial ! 

Edited by Dithane
Tasting.

• Administrators

:) Was driving through the highlands when @mac11irl updated the topic. Oddly the car wasn't going so well. By time I'd driven 30odd miles into the middle, to my bar/digs for the night, I'd got a flat tyre.

The barman, just locking up... stopped, went back in and dished up a very large jura. Then another, with a pint to head to bed with... Luckily I quite like Jura and IPA.

I used to like The Macallan, but there is a ban on me touching any of those bottles now.

So a night or two pass, and it's a chaps birthday. A few rounds later ( small bar ) the whiskey is out... I get another Jura! Now sit down fellas!

Well apart from not paying for that one either, his lad came around to everyone with a single malt and added a splosh of iron-bru. So cordial is sacrilege, iron-bru, lethal, but not, I kid you not, not, sacrilege; apparently.

Edited by ColinD
  • Haha 2

Here's one of each, both triple distilled – much easier on my joints! The Hazelburn is a Springbank, aged in sherry casks. It tastes delicious and will be used sparingly. The Jameson is my stand-by. I like it on the rocks.

WhiskyWhiskey.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

Here's one of each, both triple distilled – much easier on my joints! The Hazelburn is a Springbank, aged in sherry casks. It tastes delicious and will be used sparingly. The Jameson is my stand-by. I like it on the rocks.

WhiskyWhiskey.JPG

Hard to beat a Jameson on ice....

@KenONeill I choose Jameson because I like the taste, it's in most bars and the price is right. But, yes, I am familiar with the others. I used to buy John Powers until they stopped selling it here. One of my locals has a range: various Bushmills, Powers, Paddy, Tullamore Dew and Midleton (which I can't afford). Very nice, all of them. But, I don't mind chucking some ice in a Jameson. I use a cheap gin if I'm making a gin & tonic, too, saving the Sipsmith to drink with a single ice cube.

My Hazelburn, I drink neat.

Not many Irish whiskeys left in my collection but still have Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, Jameson’s and sorry @freelunch Midleton Very Rare bottle no 3201 bottled in 1997

8F21E5F6-B148-40A8-BB5B-1C14CFDC1B20.jpeg

Edited by CWARD

Bushmill’s is actually slightly better and a lot cheaper. 

Just wait until I do the Scotch whiskies and Cognacs. Some expensive ones there but all for drinking not collecting. 

Powers is "grand"

Paddy is muck

Bushmills is alright,but same colour as pee... puts me off for some reason :D

Tullowmore dew is a nice sipper, quite peaty.

That Irishmani git before christmas is also a nice supping blend.

Midleton is loverly but expensive

Regular Jameson is very palatable.

Crested 10 is better

Black Barrel is really better!

@freelunch - By "like you know any of the others" I meant that I rate Jamesons as the low point of Irish Whiskey (and am dubious as to whether or not it's better than Suntory Old Japan; I certainly think it's not as good as the better blended and vatted Scotches).

• 4 months later...

IMAG1906.thumb.jpg.00176e518faa25f19dc28f0f1252759f.jpg

Crackin this open. Got it at Christmas, feel like something different, so figure its time to try this one.

Report in the morning..

IMAG1907.thumb.jpg.4905f1f1033668618bca0a5684a85415.jpg

Like my Irishman at Christmas its another one ive never heard of.

Report on the above -

Holy carp its got a kick!

Imagine a Laphroaig, but without that initial stink of tyre fire.

Or a stronger peat taste on a Tullamore Dew.

Probably the peaty-est Whiskey ive drank in a long time.

Also theres is a slight sour hint to it, likely the Bourbon cask aging.

The first sip is really heavy, but it mellows after that a bit.

Its actually nice in its mild oddity, though not as smooth as other whisk(e)ies ive sampled over the years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scorchio and a cool lager is not doing it, so having a wee snifter of Tamdhu Single Malt Whisky, distilled in 2008 and it lay for 7 years until bottled in 2015 and the cask strength was 63.4% as shown on the label.

2 drams might well be enough, but i might just try a 3rd,  not sure i will be doing much for the rest of the evening, it is firewater drunk straight.

Edited by Offski

Ooh I've not visited this thread for a while. Might have a drop of Aberlour 12 y/o I found in my cupboard at the weekend (bonus find :) ) just because you ^^ shouldn't drink alone

Might even try out the 'ice stone' thingies I got for my birthday as they've been in the freezer for 4 months now - so they should be cold. 

• Like 2

Well I was thinking of getting a nice cool lager out of the fridge when I came across this thread and I thought I could kill two birds with several ice stones, so to speak.  I don't normally put ice anywhere near my whisky, even the stone cube type jobbies. 

On 12/05/2018 at 21:32, mac11irl said:

IMAG1906.thumb.jpg.00176e518faa25f19dc28f0f1252759f.jpg

Crackin this open. Got it at Christmas, feel like something different, so figure its time to try this one.

Report in the morning..

IMAG1907.thumb.jpg.4905f1f1033668618bca0a5684a85415.jpg

Like my Irishman at Christmas its another one ive never heard of.

My favourite Irish pub (Blythe Hill Tavern, South London) poured me some West Cork. It was grand.