So what do I replace my much loved Roomster with?

Peugeot = French + Electrics = Joke. At least in my experience, so no more for me.

And anything that isn't electrical is made from tissue paper and spit.

At least in my experience - so no more for me, either.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well my replacement for the Roomster is going to be a Seat Toledo i-Tech.  Not an obvious choice, perhaps, but it has comfortable seats, the same good rear legroom, is the same width as the Roomster (good for Cornish lanes) and has a full size spare wheel.  I was also looking at various Rapids but the Toledo seemed a bit nicer inside.

The big change is from 1.4Tdi to 1.2 TSi (105 / 6 speed).  The TSi seems to be a nice little engine, the torque was a lot better than I had expected - far better than the 2 litre Honda vvt unit in the CRV.

Arranging dual controls is proving to be interesting, He-Man don't cater for the Rapid / Toledo.  I'm hoping that the ones out of the Roomster will fit, otherwise it's going to be an expensive custom job.  I think I've only used them about three times in the five and a half years I've had the car.  I don't teach learners, only experienced drivers.  The only time anybody else drives my car is on an NDORS (or whatever they are calling themselves these days - I can't keep up!) course or a DVSA 'Standards Check' session.  The insurance companies, however, insist on having duals fitted.

I suppose I will have to lurk in the Rapid forum from now on!

• Like 1

Well my replacement for the Roomster is going to be a Seat Toledo i-Tech.  Not an obvious choice, perhaps, but it has comfortable seats, the same good rear legroom, is the same width as the Roomster (good for Cornish lanes) and has a full size spare wheel.  I was also looking at various Rapids but the Toledo seemed a bit nicer inside.

The big change is from 1.4Tdi to 1.2 TSi (105 / 6 speed).  The TSi seems to be a nice little engine, the torque was a lot better than I had expected - far better than the 2 litre Honda vvt unit in the CRV.

Arranging dual controls is proving to be interesting, He-Man don't cater for the Rapid / Toledo.  I'm hoping that the ones out of the Roomster will fit, otherwise it's going to be an expensive custom job.  I think I've only used them about three times in the five and a half years I've had the car.  I don't teach learners, only experienced drivers.  The only time anybody else drives my car is on an NDORS (or whatever they are calling themselves these days - I can't keep up!) course or a DVSA 'Standards Check' session.  The insurance companies, however, insist on having duals fitted.

I suppose I will have to lurk in the Rapid forum from now on!

The pedals should be a straight fit. The Toledo/Rapid dash area should be the same as the Roomster and the Fabia. There is someone with a Rapid as a learner car in the Rapid forum, might be worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...

I am scouring the second hand pages for a new-as-possible Scout, but am not sure if there is such a thing as a 1.4 Petrol / Manual? I have been avoiding diesel - am I wrong?

Otherwise, what is the best replacement? The spec says that the Fabia Estate has more boot room than the Roomster, but it doesn't look as practical in real life.

I want something with a massively roomy boot (camping), I don't want a bigger car (London Living) I like the flexibility of the seats on a Roomster....

I liked the look  of the mooted Roomster replacement. I want one of those or a Roomster! I am now seeing loads of Roomsters round us - why ever did they discontinue it?

I was all set to move up to the new Roomster that was promised for this year and when I heard Skoda had decided to drop it I wrote and queried their decision given the number of people I know who have one and really love the model. All I got back was corporate bull. They are moving into SUV territory and their offering looks likes being a real barge! I have scoured and scoured and basically the Roomster is pretty unique. The most car like equivalents tend to have fixed seats that will fold but won't come out thereby restricting the space and the "van conversion" are just that...plenty of space but pretty crude. The VW tourans would fit the bill but they are grossly overpriced. Skoda are forgetting their roots and are in danger of joining the herd rather than striving to be that bit different( and of course better value). This fact coupled with our crappy local dealers will probably force me to move away from the marque....sad but no choice. The Ford Tourneo Connect looks a possibility but when I tried to see one at our local Ford dealerships none seem interested in locating one for me and one suggested that if I wanted to see one in the flesh I would have to find a dealer who handled "Motability" cars as this is where they mainly seem to go. Car sales must be good if none of them show any interest.   

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, interesting thread...

New forum member, also have had a Roomster from new for about the last 7 years and been very pleased with it. Took it in for service this week and discussed replacements with the guys at the dealership. They suggested it wasn't official but there was going to be a new Roomster model early 2017 and it might be worth waiting (this was the service department, rather than the sales guys who want to sell you something now, today!). Is this actually the cancelled model being discussed earlier in the thread?

Cheers,

Steve

New forum member, also have had a Roomster from new for about the last 7 years and been very pleased with it. Took it in for service this week and discussed replacements with the guys at the dealership. They suggested it wasn't official but there was going to be a new Roomster model early 2017 and it might be worth waiting (this was the service department, rather than the sales guys who want to sell you something now, today!). Is this actually the cancelled model being discussed earlier in the thread?

Cheers,

Steve

Nothing has been made official. The reason for dropping was cost cutting following the VW diesel scandal

There are rumours (generally avoid these), and of course a few photos of prototypes.

But one story keeps cropping up in the business press is that VW sales are falling so they need to push the other brands to compensate. It would be quite easy to restart this programme as it was basically a badge engineered VW Caddy rather than a separate model. My guess is that they are looking at quick fixes that could boost sales. I think the Caddy may be assembled in Poland, would be easy to bit a few Skoda badged parts

Cheers,

Steve

Mighty interesting, Steve.

I booked mine in for a service last week and had a broadly similar conversation with one of sales guys.  Nothing official, nothing definite, and with no indication of the form a new Roomster might take.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's more than a rumour.

Welcome to Briskoda, by the way  :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

I'm in the same boat. On my second roomie - first a 1.4tdi (loved the thrum from the engine) then one of the last 1.9tdi's. Suits our lifestyle: great bike car with the internal carrier and option for roof with rails; 3 seats for grandkids; not too long; nice and narrow for the dale's and lakes roads; and odd shape..... Want to move from diesel to what? So far:

Newer roomie: underpowered chaincam 1.2tsi with lots of reported problems and roof rails rare

Berlingo: had French cars before and not tempted

Ford tourneo ecoboost: very tempted but quite a bit bigger

Qubo: like the look but 1.4 massively underpowered

Yeti: bigger outside but smaller inside plus same Tsi probs unless very latest model

Vw caddy 1.4tsi: like but longer and £22k!

Why has Skoda put me in this position? I'd love a new roomie with the new 1.2tsi and roof rails please.

• 3 months later...

I too am on my second Roomster and am hoping to get another 2-3 years from it before needing to replace. However there has not been an obvious successor as others have said. Recently I was given a VW Golf SV as a hire car for a couple of weeks in Germany and that seems the best alternative I have seen and driven, I was at least as comfortable as both driver and passenger as it has good headroom and two height adjustable front seats, rear seat space is good and the boot is larger than the Roomster, all while only about 90mm longer. Certainly significantly more compact than a Touran and much smaller than a Caddy / Tourneo Connect or Berlingo / Partner style vehicle. All of these are van based unlike the Roomster, whereas the SV is a car.

jpsc

Er, Roomster was designed, as I recall, to do two jobs; one is the car we know and love; the other is a light van called a Praktik, only sold in continental markets, and supplied with steel wheels. Try googling it (Skoda Praktik); looks very similar dimensions to the old Vauxhall Corsa-based Combo van (or was it Combi??).

Aren't there some most-recent Roomsters fitted with the much-improved 3-cyl 1.2 CR tdi engine, a common-rail injection engine instead of Pumpe-Duse (Unit Injector)??    Marvin said he liked the thrummy note of the 1.4tdiPD (which I've experienced in a Mk1 Fabia).

And the 1.6CR tdi 4-cyl unit is worthy of consideration, surely.

HTH

Richard

It would have been good to get the Praktik over here. I think it would have sold pretty well. But VW want that market to themselves and the Caddy.

I think the new Karoq will be closer in size inside to the Roomster. It still won't have the panoramic side windows though and will be more expensive. The days of small mpvs are shortening all the time. Even Vauxhall are altering their line up in favour of cross-over type vehicles.

• 1 year later...

Same problem, what to replace my roomster with. Settled it with a Dacia Sandero Stepway. Worth looking at. Wife has a Dacia Duster Nav+. Absolutely fantastic.