So what do I replace my much loved Roomster with?

I am scouring the second hand pages for a new-as-possible Scout, but am not sure if there is such a thing as a 1.4 Petrol / Manual? I have been avoiding diesel - am I wrong?

Otherwise, what is the best replacement? The spec says that the Fabia Estate has more boot room than the Roomster, but it doesn't look as practical in real life.

I want something with a massively roomy boot (camping), I don't want a bigger car (London Living) I like the flexibility of the seats on a Roomster....

I liked the look  of the mooted Roomster replacement. I want one of those or a Roomster! I am now seeing loads of Roomsters round us - why ever did they discontinue it?

I'm in the same position.  I'm on my second Roomster and I struggle to think of a suitable replacement for it.

Here is the nearest you will find to the Roomster's mooted replacement - the VW Caddy Life:

http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-reviews/volkswagen/caddy-life-2015/

Slightly larger, The Ford Tourneo Connect:

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Tourneo-Connect

Both vehicles are slightly larger than the Roomster (which means neither will fit my garage).

I think the best compromise (for me) will be the Yeti, which has flexible seats similar to the Roomster but less boot space - especially when a spare wheel is specified.

• Like 1

This is a conundrum Skoda (or VW) have created. My girlfriend has decided we must keep her Roomster now that they are not going to replace the model.

Another alternative would be the Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner (that might be bad language to some, I apologize). But again they're bigger and van based. Car based alternatives would be Citroen C3 Picasso, Ford B-Max or C-Max (bigger) and the Nissan Note has also been tested against the Roomster in car mags. They all have one thing going against them, they're not Skodas.

I think they have really intended the Yeti to be the replacement although its not as practical as already mentioned.

• Like 1

We also live in London and want something short, but with room for dogs and stuff, so also in same position, for now are keeping the roomy as haven't really found a replacement.

I quite like the BMW 2 series grand tourer, but is bigger and costly, yeti is virtually double the price that we paid for the roomster which was 6 months old, a Citroen C3 Picasso is bit small, C4 is much bigger, not too keen on the van with windows look.

The other big problem is we mainly do short journeys in outer London, which is littered with traffic lights so want a petrol (to avoid DPF problems) and auto gearbox, and in most makes this combination isnt available.

I have looked at all these suggestions, most are just bigger and / or more expensive, and less flexible that what I need and want. I like the Yeti as the best looking, practical 4x4 type car (and I gather they are planning to tamper with the Yeti - despite it's award winning features). But I don't want a Yeti - it is bigger and more expensive and has LESS boot space.

I don't want 7 seats, which I gather Skoda are aiming for in the next Roomster type model.

It's so frustrating - 2 people this week have commented on how practical my car is, one even described it as 'funky', and were disappointed when I said they were discontinued.

I am just looking at a Peugeot Bipper.

It's Peugeot, it gives the under shelf boot capacity as just over 350 litres, whereas I think the Roomster has 450 litres...there is a 40/60 rear seat split (as opposed to the Roomster's separate 3 seats), but it does have rear sliding doors in it's favour.

But it looks like a converted van, not a car.

But it looks like a converted van, not a car.

That's because it is a converted van :D  

I looked at the Citroen equivalent (Nemo) and the Fiat (Qubo) when they first came out.  I don't know if things have changed since then but I disliked the rubber "carpets", the expanse of painted metal inside the car, the uncomfortable rear seats, the bouncy ride and the general cheap feel of the cars.

At the time, I owned a Citroen Berlingo (also a converted van) which I referred to as a Schitroen.  So many things either went wrong with it, or fell off it, that it put me off French cars for life.

Well the Bippobmo has the "cheap" feel because it's built by Fiat. I don't know if Ford are going to do a Tourneo Courier. That might get closer to the space required but it's still a van.

I think I will concentrate on looking for an as-new-as-possible Roomster, with as close to the spec I want.

If I have to compromise on either fuel or transmission, which should it be? (I prefer petrol / manual). I should be prepared to compromise on whether it is the Scout model or not, I think.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding one close to what you want. It is the best option.

We'll just be sticking with our one. I'll have to do the timing belt this year though.

If you will be spending all your time in town traffic the DPF diesels are best avoided - that's the 1.6TDi and the Greenline 1.2TDi.

My neighbour bought a 1.2 TSi petrol about a year ago - she loves it! 

The Fiat could get replaced, the florino van on which it's based is soon to be updated.

From the value element I might look at the Ssangsung Tivoli as a replacement, but is boot too small?

The Fiat could get replaced, the florino van on which it's based is soon to be updated.

From the value element I might look at the Ssangsung Tivoli as a replacement, but is boot too small?

The Fiat is based on a version of the Punto/Panda floor pan which they are still using. I don't think it very likely that the replacement will be very different.

As for the Tivoli, it's an... interesting looking car. It's boot space is around the same as a Yeti's. Whether it's as usable or not? Who knows.

Anyone considered the Vauxhall Meriva? I looked at a mk1 a couple of years ago, utterly soul-less interior, didn't get to drive it, suspect the fold-into-the-floor seats may not remove easily, didn't like the extra front corner pillar, nasty blind-spot there, oldish 1.7 Isuzu diesels noisy but pull ok (have experienced them in Corsa-based vans), newer version has forward-opening rear doors I recall...or are they both rearward sliders?  Old one was quite compact footprint, not too wide and longish wheelbase (similar to Roomster), looked a possible to explore, probably cheap second-hand.....my garage man says they're horrible, lots of electrical faults.

And he says Kia Soul worth considering.....

When working over in Bradford, I see loads of white Berlingos/Partners, and a few longer-wheelbase Ford Transit Connect Tourneos, variously wheelchair-adapted, or in spacious 5 seats plus much luggage format, all as taxis, many bearing Scottish reg.plates.

Richard

Edited by RichardatWakefield

How about the DACIA Logan MCV. Its mentioned in Auto Express Driver Power survey as coming in at 13th position.

Don,t know about luggage space but I think it would be comparable.

No good for badge snobs,but then I suppose badge snobs would never drive a Skoda.

Bob

Have a serious look st the Honda Jazz. Petrol + Auto no problem. Most flexible seating of any car...just get a dealer to demo all the combinations with the standard set-up...we've had a single bed and mattress in ours, (bed in bits, of course). Then there is the legendary Honda reliability and service. SWMBOs Jazz is now 10 years old and has only required tyres, Annual services and 2x exhausts, (all town driving, seldom gets hot, so rots away from the inside), and still runs like a dream.

Two months ago, Honda recalled the 10 year old car to replace all the electric window switches, FOC.

Go have a look and see what it can do. I nearly bought a new Jazz instead of the Fabia but the good lady thought one "Pickfords Wagon" in the family was enough; go and buy yourself something else. The "Pickfords Wagon" is a term of endearment for it's load capacity, not a reflection on how it drives.

Just be aware that no current Honda will carry a full size spare wheel.  For me, that is a total no go.  It may not be an issue for you, but you should be aware of it.

Our 53 plate CRV has just been in for a recall, too.  Passenger air bag, light switch and window switch.  Only too two and a half months from getting the recall letter to the local dealer receiving the airbag to do it!

Just be aware that no current Honda will carry a full size spare wheel.  For me, that is a total no go.  It may not be an issue for you, but you should be aware of it.

Our 53 plate CRV has just been in for a recall, too.  Passenger air bag, light switch and window switch.  Only too two and a half months from getting the recall letter to the local dealer receiving the airbag to do it!

Wasn't aware of the spare wheel situation, haven't looked in-depth at the new ones. SWMBO would be happy with a temporary spare as she is 90% local and I don't think the car has ever been further than Brum. Guess your airbag wait was caused by the enormous worldwide number of cars, lots of makes, with the same potential problem from the same airbag manufacturer. You can't fit 'em faster than they can be supplied.

Just graft Skoda badges onto a Touran - easily the best most capable car I've ever owned. A cheaper VAG partner version would sell like the proverbial ...

• 1 month later...

Thought it was time someone threw another log on the fire!

Just looking through my July issue of "Diesel Car", pp 38 & 39, review of revised Peugeot 2008, appears to have aped the Roomster in that the roofline steps up over the rear doors, car shown has roof -rails, panoramic roof; rear doors same height as front though, but with a black panel that makes the rears look taller, boot space 410--1400 litres, only 45 litres fuel tank, rear knee- room reported as tight, rear headroom good, so what does anyone think? Anyone looked at these?

Richard

I have spotted three used Roomsters for sale near me; a dark blue diesel at Allerton Bywater crossroads garage on the A656 roman road a mile north out of Castleford, a silver one at a garage on the same (LH) side a little nearer Cas;

And a 13-plate silver one at the big Vauxhall main dealers on A638 Doncaster Road, Wakefield, immediately south of the River Calder and Chantry Chapel, diagonally across the river from The Hepworth (so you can bag a bit of culture and history whilst looking at a Roomie!)

Maybe one of you searchers can give one of these a good home!

HTH

Richard

Edited by RichardatWakefield

Thought it was time someone threw another log on the fire!

Just looking through my July issue of "Diesel Car", pp 38 & 39, review of revised Peugeot 2008, appears to have aped the Roomster in that the roofline steps up over the rear doors, car shown has roof -rails, panoramic roof; rear doors same height as front though, but with a black panel that makes the rears look taller, boot space 410--1400 litres, only 45 litres fuel tank, rear knee- room reported as tight, rear headroom good, so what does anyone think? Anyone looked at these?

Richard

Peugeot = French + Electrics = Joke. At least in my experience, so no more for me.

• Like 1