Columbus RNS510 in 2007 Roomster Scout?

A few days into ownership of my Scout and the standard 'Dance' stereo is beginning to bug me. 

I have been looking to see what OEM navigation/media unit is available ie RNS310/5 or RNS510

We have a Columbus RNS510 unit in our Golf Plus, which I prefer because I have 30Gb of mp3 files loaded on the HDD, that doesn't appear possible on RNS315.

I've done some searching on here but have further questions;

If I fit RNS510;

1) Will directions appear on maxi-dot?

2) Will track names from HDD appear on maxi-dot?

If neither of the above are possible, will it work as an entirely stand-alone unit without battery drain issues etc?

Edited by b1ackb1rd

Just a technicality: the RNS510 is for VW and the Columbus is for Skoda. The only real difference is the colour of the illumination behind the buttons and a few very minor options.

Yes, the directions and audio track title should appear in the Maxidot (assuming you have the full Maxidot and not the mid-line which some people mistake for Maxidot) as long as the car is coded correctly using VCDS.

As for battery drain; the early 2007 Octavias suffered, but late 2007 didn't. I'd assume it it be the same in a Roomster. Can you identify the CAN Gateway part number via a physical look or a VCDS scan? Then a definitive answer can be given.

Thanks for replying. I was aware of the RNS510/Columbus thing (although I understand it's possible to reflash the 510 as a Columbus) - there are VERY few Columbus units on sale on ebay.

I'm now 4 days into ownership - I have no idea where the canbus unit is ... and although I have experience coding nav units in previous cars my VCDS cable is flippin' micro-can ! :(

Any ideas where the canbus is situated? Mk5 platform cars can have the firmware updated, or changed for a later unit - is this possible?

Your only problem might have is that the Fabia/Roomster has an older CAN version (1.6) but the Columbus/RNS510 required a newer version (2.0).

The new CAN version was used on the Facelift Fabia and Roomster (easiest to spot on cars with projector headlights as the projector moved from the inside to the outside of the headlight).

Your only option is to buy an additional box that converts the older CAN messages to the new ones to enable to stereo to power up and down etc properly.

Phil

The Amunden Plus is the RBS315, and these will most likely be out of the picture as they only appeared  well after 2010 or so. Different units completely to the Amundsen (RNS315).

Having said all that, I thought the RNS310 and the RNS510 were the same generation units, but I might be wrong. Worst case, you can always pull the RNS510 out of the VW and test fit it in the Roomster to see how it behaves?

Worst case, you can always pull the RNS510 out of the VW and test fit it in the Roomster to see how it behaves?

Ha ! Prise it out of the wife's Golf? I'd lose my kneecaps.

The 'Maxidot' in a 2007 Roomster (as in my 2008 Scout) is little more than a fancy trip computer, and I therefore doubt you'll be able to display any information theron.

The current Maxidot systems have far greater functionality.

Agreed. It wont display on the pre-facelift units. 

It's only post 2010 facelifts that they got abit fancier (white writing on black display) as an optional extra. These can do nav directions and song info. However it still isnt the full Maxidot that the Octy gets.

Ha ! Prise it out of the wife's Golf? I'd lose my kneecaps.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove, then drop it in the Skoda and see how it behaves. If it all works as it should then you've made a step towards knowing what to do, and it's cost you nowt. Then just put it back in the Golf.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove, then drop it in the Skoda and see how it behaves. If it all works as it should then you've made a step towards knowing what to do, and it's cost you nowt. Then just put it back in the Golf.

No issues with doing the swap, just the wife's reaction!

It's only post 2010 facelifts that they got abit fancier (white writing on black display) as an optional extra. These can do nav directions and song info. 

I ndeed to check my car, I'm sure my display's white on black

I think there's only one way to find out ....

But first I need to sell my micro-CAN cable and replace with a hex-CAN before I can do this swap some justice. 

• 1 month later...

I just dropped this into my 2007 roomster. Works a treat. Satnav dvd reverse camera the lot. Half an hour to fit and I'm all up and running like a dream come true...

YINUO 7 inch 800*480 2DIN Autoradio DVD GPS Navigation Sat Nav wi... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VE3NHKC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_udp_apa_ka4qxbSP777YC

Dear All, last week I have started to integrate RNS-315 in my fabia 2008 (can 1.6). It's really interesting that I could activate bluetooth only after extraction of both CAN wires from main plug. Today I will install can-bus adapter 1.6->2.0. Additionally my steering wheel joystick is not working with RNS-315, but properly working with RNS-310 (the same 315 but without integrated bluetooth function). Next step will be to disable my original bluetooth device because at the moment car is trying to find my phone which is already connected with RNS-315.

Edited by LopataSPB
  • Like 1

Your steering wheel controls (joystick) won't work with the RNS315 because it's a completely different unit to the RNS310 and uses a different communication protocol.  Despite looking similar the two units are very different. The RNS310 uses DDP communication protocol which your car also does, but the RNS315 uses BAP protocol which your car doesn't use.

• Like 1

Your steering wheel controls (joystick) won't work with the RNS315 because it's a completely different unit to the RNS310 and uses a different communication protocol.  Despite looking similar the two units are very different. The RNS310 uses DDP communication protocol which your car also does, but the RNS315 uses BAP protocol which your car doesn't use.

Hmm:( bad news. So you think it make no sence to continue with 315 installation? To be honest I just want to have A2DP bluetooth function to listen the music from my phone and nice sound quality. My old "Dance" device is really pure and together with original bluetooth car device can only be used for handsfree function but without A2DP protocol. By the way I saw some pictures on briskoda with the same ages fabia when navigation arrows are visible on the old version of Maxidot display, may you know how it was made? Thanks

Now thinking about to sell rest of my RNS devices to Europe, because your prices are much higher than in Russia.

I'm not sure how you're going to manage to get everything working, as the problems are too deep to be an easy fix really. Also, I'm not up to speed on the Bluetooth streaming functions either, as I use the Columbus with an SD card and the hard drive built in.  Keeps all my music on the unit and I don't need Bluetooth streaming.

Also, not sure on the Fabia navigation thing either, someone else might though.

Could it have been a Columbus (RNS-510) that you saw with the info on the dash display as the Columbus is capable of using DDP or BAP CAN protocol so backwards compatible hence why it's such a popular install in pre-FL Octavias.

I'm not sure how you're going to manage to get everything working, as the problems are too deep to be an easy fix really. Also, I'm not up to speed on the Bluetooth streaming functions either, as I use the Columbus with an SD card and the hard drive built in.  Keeps all my music on the unit and I don't need Bluetooth streaming.

Also, not sure on the Fabia navigation thing either, someone else might though.

Thanks