Columbus RNS510 in 2007 Roomster Scout?

I've been using my RNS310 without any integration into the car's systems - just plug and play.

It switches itself off every 30 minutes (usually at a big junction!), but that's no big deal.

I have the map cd in all the time, and 32Gb of music on an SD card. 

The navigation is always up to speed, no lagging. 

It's not that expensive to do, and makes the whole job a lot more professional.

I'm in 2 minds whether to continue with the RNS310 or fit my RNS510 - and I'm far from an ICE expert;

1) If I fitted RNS510 would I still need the emulator?

2) Your comments regarding backward RNS510 being compatible for DDP and BAP - does this mean navigation would appear in maxidot after a bit of vcds coding?

I'm in 2 minds whether to continue with the RNS310 or fit my RNS510 - and I'm far from an ICE expert;

1) If I fitted RNS510 would I still need the emulator?

2) Your comments regarding backward RNS510 being compatible for DDP and BAP - does this mean navigation would appear in maxidot after a bit of vcds coding?

1. Yes, because the car doesn't have the CAN system to control it.

2. No, because same as above (I think).

Be worth a try though eh?

• Like 1

I bought a 2008 Roomster tdi for my son, which already had the RNS300 fitted and working (maxi dot as well as the joystick)

I have bought a RNS315 DAB and fitted it.

Works very well, bluetooth and DAB work perfectly (had the roof antenna switched with the DAB/GPS one from VAG).

But it has a downside, as already mentioned, maxi dot doesnt give directions any more and the joystick doesnt work.

But for al the extras it was worth it. Navigaiton is quick (maps are on the hard drive), bluetooth and streaming work a treat and DAB is excellent.

Also installed the (simple version of the) rearview cam, but havent had a possibility yet to code it (VCDS cannot reach the RNS unit because of the CAN adapter that was already in the car for the RNS300).

And not having my Octi anymore, I still wait for someone with a Golf V or Octi to swap the unit to code it for the rear view cam. The cam is already installed and wired. Only the coding of the RNS still has to be altered.

Edited by magic62

I bought a 2008 Roomster tdi for my son, which already had the RNS300 fitted and working (maxi dot as well as the joystick)

I have bought a RNS315 DAB and fitted it.

Works very well, bluetooth and DAB work perfectly (had the roof antenna switched with the DAB/GPS one from VAG).

But it has a downside, as already mentioned, maxi dot doesnt give directions any more and the joystick doesnt work.

But for al the extras it was worth it. Navigaiton is quick (maps are on the hard drive), bluetooth and streaming work a treat and DAB is excellent.

Also installed the (simple version of the) rearview cam, but havent had a possibility yet to code it (VCDS cannot reach the RNS unit because of the CAN adapter that was already in the car for the RNS300).

And not having my Octi anymore, I still wait for someone with a Golf V or Octi to swap the unit to code it for the rear view cam. The cam is already installed and wired. Only the coding of the RNS still has to be altered.

VERY interesting, thank you. You have sparked a few questions ...

The RNS300 is a more basic unit, but worked very well in my Touran - just sold with the Touran, dammit!

I have a 2007 Skoda promo photo with RNS310 and MFSW fitted in a Roomster Scout and appearing in the maxidot display ... I don't NEED this, I would simply like to see if it's possible. 

It would be interesting to see what steering module part numbers you have fitted (on VCDS) as to upgrade a Touran I had to change steering control and slip ring parts - is the Roomster the same? Who knows? There doesn't appear to be a retro-fitting culture amongst Roomster owners sadly. 

What canbus adaptor do you have? Is it OEM or fitted by previous owner ... and where is it fitted?

1. Yes, because the car doesn't have the CAN system to control it.

2. No, because same as above (I think).

Be worth a try though eh?

Yes, I think I need to code the RNS510 to Roomster spec whilst it's still in our Golf Plus, then have a test. 

Is the 2.0 canbus a retro-fit option? This upgrade certainly works in Golf mk5 cars to allow control of 3rd Gen radios such as RCD310, RCD510, RNS510 units.

I'm a pen pusher by trade, does anyone have the knowledge to be able to answer this?  

No I'm not sure it's possible. The CAN system is too far integrated in the vehicles components to have a realistic chance of making the vehicle CAN 2.0. You can buy a CAN 1.6 - 2.0 emulator / converter which does mostly what you'd need I think, or you can buy a simple canbus emulator which just provides the head unit with the necessary signals for the ambient lighting and ignition switching to function correctly.

No I'm not sure it's possible. The CAN system is too far integrated in the vehicles components to have a realistic chance of making the vehicle CAN 2.0. You can buy a CAN 1.6 - 2.0 emulator / converter which does mostly what you'd need I think, or you can buy a simple canbus emulator which just provides the head unit with the necessary signals for the ambient lighting and ignition switching to function correctly.

So the canbus in 2007 Roomster isn't an actual module such as 1K0 907 530 S as in your Yeti?

No, if only it were that simple. The gateway is just a meeting point for all the CAN components. The whole system is either CAN 1.6 or CAN 2.0. Change the gateway from 1.6 to 2.0 and nothing would communicate through it as the protocols are different, so everything needs to be changed. That's my understanding.

Bugger. It's beyond me !

Just realised that my RNS310 reacts to the headlamps, so there must be some communication or perhaps a Skoda update that allows this?

MFSW was first fitted in the facelifted Roomster with the newer Dash and Maxi dot.

The first series didnt have a MFSW! All they could order was the satellite stalk/ joy stick.

Our Roomster had the RNS Cruise (Skoda name, same as the VAG RNS300) fitted as std.

It was at first a Skoda Germany car, with almost all the extras.

I havent found the CAN Bus adapter, think it should be the simpler (Relais like) part just connected to the 1.6 CAN BUS.

As written, all I did is change the head unit and antenna, fitted the microphone in the front ceiling light (as std) and the unit got all the pulses it needed.

Speed, time, ignition on/off. It works as a std fitted head unit, except for the navigation in the maxi dot and the satellite remote control.

There is a can bus adapter for the VW T5 that converts 1.6 to 2.0 and does give the signals for the maxi dot.

It is, however, a bit pricey to test. Prices are around 230€ in Germany.

And as our RNS is working fine, except for the maxi dot, I thought that would be a too expensive test module.

Just google OEMPlus can bus adapter. The site is in German though.

http://oem-plus-webshop.de/epages/346ef957-0b68-487b-90e9-27c6570db097.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/346ef957-0b68-487b-90e9-27c6570db097/Products/RNS510Adapter

Edited by magic62
  • Like 2

MFSW was first fitted in the facelifted Roomster with the newer Dash and Maxi dot.

The first series didnt have a MFSW! All they could order was the satellite stalk/ joy stick.

Our Roomster had the RNS Cruise (Skoda name, same as the VAG RNS300) fitted as std.

It was at first a Skoda Germany car, with almost all the extras.

I havent found the CAN Bus adapter, think it should be the simpler (Relais like) part just connected to the 1.6 CAN BUS.

As written, all I did is change the head unit and antenna, fitted the microphone in the front ceiling light (as std) and the unit got all the pulses it needed.

Speed, time, ignition on/off. It works as a std fitted head unit, except for the navigation in the maxi dot and the satellite remote control.

I have maxidot with white letters on black - my car is 2007, does that make it first series?

My RNS310 receives time and light info from the car, presumably the GPS sorts out speed etc. 

I wonder if I should do some reading on T5 forums to see what's possible ... what other Skoda cars have canbus 1.6 ? 

The Hotlink reads ... Google translate;

Our module binds the VW RNS510 / Skoda Columbus navigation system with full functionality in the vehicles with TP 1.6 CAN protocol.
Unlike other products work with him the multifunction steering wheel and the multifunction display in the instrument cluster including navigation display.
It supports all of the peripherals RNS510: Media In, VW UHV Plus handsfree (7P6 ... and 5K0 ...), TV tuner, rear view camera and rear camera LOW HIGH (the original from the GP models). The installation is completed in a few minutes with our Plug & Play harness.
The module supports all RNS510 devices from firmware version 3810 and older (incl. The new DAB versions). Should you be required to leave an older firmware release on the navigation system, please contact us. Please before buying
If you own a T5 and intend to retrofit the optical parking system OPS of T5 GP, please consider OPS function dazubestellen.

Our Maxi Dot are the same as the first pic in #16 page 1.

That is the pre face lift one. And our Roomsters still have the 1.6 CAN Bus.

The later versions (facelift with the 1.2 TSI and 1.6TDI engines) have the 2.0 or at least better compatible to the 2.0 CAN Bus.

The Hotlink is the adapter for the RNS510 with navigation displayed in the Maxi Dot. There are however also adapters (mostly around 200 euros) that don't give the information in the Maxi Dot.

In the Hotlink you can choose for the Fabia/Roomster, so if everything works as they say, the information should appear in the Maxi Dot.

But, as already written, I didnt test it and cannot find any information (yet) if someone has already tested it AND if it will work with the RNS315.

Our Maxi Dot are the same as the first pic in #16 page 1.

That is the pre face lift one. And our Roomsters still have the 1.6 CAN Bus.

The later versions (facelift with the 1.2 TSI and 1.6TDI engines) have the 2.0 or at least better compatible to the 2.0 CAN Bus.

The Hotlink is the adapter for the RNS510 with navigation displayed in the Maxi Dot. There are however also adapters (mostly around 200 euros) that don't give the information in the Maxi Dot.

In the Hotlink you can choose for the Fabia/Roomster, so if everything works as they say, the information should appear in the Maxi Dot.

But, as already written, I didnt test it and cannot find any information (yet) if someone has already tested it AND if it will work with the RNS315.

I'm very very tempted ....

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All, finally I have a great friendship between my rns-310 / fabia with can bus 1.6 / maxidot with navigation arrows. Iэму installed can adapter 5J0 035 751, right after installation of adapter navigation info from my RNS-310 appears on my old maxidot!!! Very happy with this. Main difference in behaviour between 315 and 310 that with rns-315 I can't manage a joystick under my steering wheel (only possible to change the volume), but with rns-310 all functions of joystick is OK. 

Edited by LopataSPB
  • Like 3

Dear All, finally I have a great friendship between my rns-310 / fabia with can bus 1.6 / maxidot with navigation arrows. Iэму installed can adapter 5J0 035 751, right after installation of adapter navigation info from my RNS-310 appears on my old maxidot!!! Very happy with this. Main difference in behaviour between 315 and 310 that with rns-315 I can't manage a joystick under my steering wheel (only possible to change the volume), but with rns-310 all functions of joystick is OK. 

I may have to drive to St Petersburg and plant a big kiss on you :)

• 10 months later...

Any word on this? 

I'm a recent Roomster owner (2007 Scout) and I'm looking to get navigation and DAB if possible. Retrofitters unite! 

I'm going to try a cheap RNS300 but would ideally prefer 310/315/510. 

Not sure, but even for the RNS300 you will need the smaller CanBus adapter.

Not sure because our second Roomster had the RNS300 (works install) and I updated to the RNS315 (as written above).

Didnt have to put any CanBus adapter in. DAB+, handsfree, routing and maps all worked instantly.

But unfortunately no more arrows in the maxidot and the original remote control doesnt work.

We can live (actually my son has to live) with that.