My weight loss diary!

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Anyone with a fitbit, possibly Garmin too? check out something called Bounts. You get points based on your fitbit steps and can switch them for gift vouchers. I find financial gain a real motivator to round my steps up to 14 or 21k a day :D

Thanks for the heads up, sent it to my mate thinking I'd show him something new but he's already using it! Never told me though! 

• 1 month later...

Much delayed update! 

So I had a couple of poor weeks, put on a lb or so one week and then stayed the same the following week. Got my act together and have been back on it. Last week I lost 3.2lb, so my current weight is 319.4lb (22 stone 7lb). I'm not going to make my 309lb target before my holiday next week but if I drop about 2.2lb then I'll clear 2 stone loss and be happy. 

Aside from weight, I've got jeans that I couldnt get past my legs a few months back, they're now doing up, still tight but I was amazed. My current jeans are massive on me now, I used them to nip out on my dads scooter yesterday and the went over the joggers I had on already :D I also got my holiday clothes, ordered them a size smaller and they all fit nice. 

Food wise I've been doing ok, I've got a thing for poached eggs at the moment, had them twice in posh places and got a bit of a taste for them now. Still having the Saturdays off, not always getting a takeaway but normally something nice. I've noticed though, if I have something really greasy it gives me right guts ache the next day, I guess thats because my body is getting used to having good food. 

So, I'll update my pre holiday weight, then **** off to eat loads of pizza in Italy :D 

• Like 2

good man, we bought the fitbit scales recently as my Mrs wanted them. They are really good at tracking weight and might help motivation!

I think as long as you have more good days than bad that you'll reach your target!

Update on my progress - down one notch on the belt.

Quite a bit more to go but slowly seems to be working.

Down another belt notch from the original. Sticking with slow and steady.

Thinking about a fitbit or similar though to encourage more exercise.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

19 month update! :D 

Fell of the wagon hugely after my holiday, I come back weighing about the same but after that my rota changed at work and I just get super fat again. 

So I decided to get back on the health ting. The cliche time to start, just after xmas, just so happened the bird at work started a fat club. We all stick £10 in, plus each time you gain a lb you have a £3 penalty to pay.

I'm well sorted with my gym at the moment, joined a nicer one than my cheapo £10 a month setup I was at before. Got a pool, smaller gym bit but quieter than before and the people there are nicer :D 

Eating wise I've just gone back to watching what I eat, my biggest issue is overeating so I'm trying to stop doing that so much.

So I started at 341.2lb, pretty much what I started at in my original post. Last Saturday I weighted 331.8lb so just under 10lb lost in 10 weeks. Slow and steady, I'll take any loss each week. I'll update as I go (again)

Cheers all. 

Good luck fella.

I joined a Training For Warriors programme a little over a year ago and I really recommend it if there's one near you. My aim wasn't so much weight loss as fitness gain; but I've done both, and had a bloody good time doing it. I'm no warrior, but it's not a pre-requisite. :)

• Like 1

I lost weight over xmas/new year....1.5 stone (7 to 8kgs) in less than 10 days!...very easy to do......

Burst appendix & the fact that you don't feel like eating & anything you do eat you throw up again.....YAY!!!...

• Like 1

I've got one major problem with weight loss.  or possibly two.

First one is that although I'm diabetic, and our lass uses low-calorie sugar in her baking, and low-fat cooking methods, eating a lot of food( dead easy when it tastes so good. As any lad married to a Yorkshire lass knows) is not difficult. Then add to that my hip problem which means exercise is low on agenda. 

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it up and youll feel the difference rather than see

I started back doing circuit classes last August and i feel better mentally as much as physically. 

Helps that ive gained 5kg body mass over the time too - of muscle - as im being pushed alot harder in the group than when i was just training solo.  Lot easier slow down or take a break on your own, peer pressure keeps you going in the class.

And remember your losing fat weight but gaining muscle weight, so there is a trade off happening that can make your loss seem less  substantial ;)

• Like 1

Avoid fad diets and fat clubs. They're designed to make you fail to keep you coming back. 

You just need to stick to a calorie limit and exercise and you'll see rapid results. As in within weeks not months or years. 

You should be looking at 2000 calories and add them up. Don't use stupid point systems. 

Use an app like myfitnesspal (free) and track everything you eat. 

Follow people like LDNM muscle and Clean eating Alice for good meals which will keep you full, aren't difficult or expensive and not wreck a diet. 

From there you'll find others who will set you right. 

• Like 1

Read the original post and found it quite moving. All our metabolisms are different and modern life is crap in many ways. So many articles in recent times tell us what we already know. Shift work for starters is bad for us. Well I work on the railway on a 3 shift rota and involves getting up before 5am. I can’t remember the last time I slept for the recommended 8 hour’s. 

I am 5ft 6 and a bit of chub. We hardly ever have a takeaway, just occasional fish and chips, I take a meal to work on lates. The worst time is nights, when I’m really tired I snack. And most of the time I am too damn knackered to do any exercise. 

• Like 1

Find something you enjoy and it won’t feel like a chore. Cycling is great for weight loss and can be very sociable, racket sports are great as you can do it regardless of weather. 90% of it will be diet unfortunately as you can’t out train a poor diet (although I do try). 

Keep it going mate

• Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 15:55, gadgetman said:

Avoid fad diets and fat clubs. They're designed to make you fail to keep you coming back. 

You just need to stick to a calorie limit and exercise and you'll see rapid results. As in within weeks not months or years. 

You should be looking at 2000 calories and add them up. Don't use stupid point systems. 

Use an app like myfitnesspal (free) and track everything you eat. 

Follow people like LDNM muscle and Clean eating Alice for good meals which will keep you full, aren't difficult or expensive and not wreck a diet. 

From there you'll find others who will set you right. 

Thats pretty close to what I'm doing at the moment. MyFitnessPal is great, I'm just counting calories no other fads. I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake as I've got a real sweet tooth though. 

On 3/19/2018 at 17:18, threadbear said:

Read the original post and found it quite moving. All our metabolisms are different and modern life is crap in many ways. So many articles in recent times tell us what we already know. Shift work for starters is bad for us. Well I work on the railway on a 3 shift rota and involves getting up before 5am. I can’t remember the last time I slept for the recommended 8 hour’s. 

I am 5ft 6 and a bit of chub. We hardly ever have a takeaway, just occasional fish and chips, I take a meal to work on lates. The worst time is nights, when I’m really tired I snack. And most of the time I am too damn knackered to do any exercise. 

All that sounds familiar, I've got a lot better recently with learning when to eat and how much, depending on my shift. It's still tough though. 

On 3/19/2018 at 18:17, VRS Mike said:

Find something you enjoy and it won’t feel like a chore. Cycling is great for weight loss and can be very sociable, racket sports are great as you can do it regardless of weather. 90% of it will be diet unfortunately as you can’t out train a poor diet (although I do try). 

Keep it going mate

Yeah, I need to get my bike out again in the summer but I would still like to get into a racket sport if I can. 

Having had a full colonoscopy a few weeks ago (cancer scare related to burst appendix) I had to go on a "low fibre" diet for three days prior to the procedure. 

This brought to light what I take for normal re my eating habits. I have a high fibre diet....wholemeal/whole-wheat everything, pasta, rice, bread. Porridge in mornings winter & branflakes/home made musili in summer. Home made greek style set yogurt at lunchtime, loads of dried fruit/nuts as snacks (I just buy big bags from the whole food shop & make my own mix so no added sugar).

So having to do without all that & eat white bread & rice crispies for breakfast I was starving 1hr later...reason?...LOW fibre....Fibre makes you feel full...& the body works better as its long slow release energy & not instant "high".

Most of the low fibre items have way higher sugar content compared to high fibre stuff as this is how the energy is delivered...

P.S. I still eat meat, just 15% fat stuff, have a flat spoon of sugar in my tea/coffee etc...& have a two finger dark chocolate KitKat at lunchtime....that's another good alteration...swap all the milk/normal "vegilate" for dark chocolate...less sugar & saturated fats...& I have olive spread on bread.....& I do NOT eat any "low fat" branded products....so long as the fat is "normal" not "artificial" then the body can cope with it...

So start reading the ingredients listing on the foods you buy....

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

Self control is key. 

Big mistake people make is cutting too much fat out of their diet. 

You need the right mix of carbs, fat and. Protein. Fat in the diet (the right kind, not bad trans fats) actually helps burn fat as you exercise ;)

I read something about cutting out sugar from your diet, it apparently retrains your body to use fat as an energy source when doing exercise. I have found after long bike rides that my body fat can drop 1 % or two. My diet is my biggest issue, I'm basically training so I can eat ****e