Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

I've done a fair bit of digging regarding the supposedly correct way of aligning the PD injectors in the head. General opinion was to just lob them in and be done with it but the official VW workshop instructions give precise measurements for the injector bodies which is measured from the outside RHS edge of the cylinder head.. 

This meant sourcing a suitably long vernier caliper which came today. 

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

The suggested tolerance is 0.8mm so these are as damned close as I can get them. They all sit now ever so slightly off square which is apparently how they're supposed to be. 

IMG_1648.JPG

The retaining bolts (new genuine ones of course) have been torqued down to 12nm then 270degree tightened.

13 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Rear beam has been collected today, as usual Bournes powder coating has done a lovely job.

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

They masked all the threads that I asked them to and it'll be much nicer once all the new bearings and stub axles are built up

Will be a shame to put that on! Looks awesome!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darren_vrs said:

Wicked motor mate just picked my 07 mk1 vrs up the other week looking to lower it and put some nice shoes on it soon and maybe a map. What fmic is that ?

The front mount that was on it was the Forge one. Not got to the point of sorting a front mount out for this build yet but have a feeling it'll be something bespoke 

Cheers guys, ordered the GTB spec TIP this morning, along with the required 80mm silicon pipe work so I can run the standard air box. 

Looking at the crankcase breather next, I'm 100% keeping the engine cover so there will have to be some clever thinking to route the breather hoses out of the way

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I keep been distracted by the other daily Fabia that's sapping my attention and enthusiasm but I have been progressing albeit slowly. The black one needed new suspension and it made sense to take the ultra low mileage Bilstein B8 from the yellow one and fit that to it. 

The suspension had got to come one off the daffodil as I need to start the underneath resto in earnest so it's now sat in the garage with all four corners empty and just the rear beam, fuel tank and heat shields left on. I'll make a start prepping and painting in the next few weeks but the need to source new suspension has been satisfied by the arrival of these...

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

Bilstein B14 PSS coilover kit. Having run Bilstein dampers on the last 6 cars of mine I know the quality and performance of them is beyond reproach hence pulling the pin on these. 

Ill update more with pretty and not so pretty pictures of the car as we progress 

• Like 2

Front legs built up using new strut top mounts and bearings. 

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Had to order a cranked 22mm ring spanner so I can tighten the top mounts up properly but apart from that almost ready to go back on the car... eventually lol

• Like 4

Used everything I could find! To get the grub and grime off the block I used Bilt Hamber Surfex, quite a strong mix, pressure washed off, then attacked the block with scrapers, wire brushes, scotch pads etc. The heavier rust actually chips off easy with a screwdriver and a small hammer.

Get as much crap off as you can then a few coats of Bilt Hamber hydrate 80 rust convertor then zinc primer etc