Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

Enormous progress this evening...

IMG_3191.thumb.JPG.c1e0f5c6e9d9e07db479add2d7b089bb.JPG

fitted this!

The boot lid will be clayed and machine polished when it's all back together, its in a disgusting state.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rear brakes are off for some custom machine work at the moment so just doing other fiddly jobs off the list. 

Fitted new genuine VW glow plugs, smear of anti seize paste and nipped up to 11nm with the torque wrench.

The braided oil turbo feed pipe was a swine to route discretely but I did it..

Lots of folks loop it towards the bulkhead but I wanted it as close to the original path, ended up putting a rivnut into the wiring loom bracket and secured it with a p clip 

IMG_3307.thumb.JPG.809ca5d186d57bb188e9f5c4cb20fc92.JPG

IMG_3308.thumb.JPG.37744117964cf1da600021e30be67066.JPG

I fitted the powdercoated Darkside large bore TIP, along with the inlet boost hose

IMG_3309.thumb.JPG.99334708ff6be28e88835ad0cb5fa211.JPG

The Darkside TIP comes with a hose for the breather, so fitted that..

IMG_3312.thumb.JPG.a4afa4f3bee9bee37799cae87b9b139b.JPG

I'm acutely aware of the fact that I'm not running an aftermarket catch can (yet) but I will wait until the engine is back in the bay before I start looking into some custom mounting place for one. My big thing is I MUST keep the OE engine cover as that's the whole plan, and most of the aftermarket stuff sacks that off, but where there's a will there's a way etc...

The Darkside 80mm silicon pipe from TIP to airbox was offered up and yes I'm relieved to say the engine cover still fits..

IMG_3311.thumb.JPG.8dfbb8f6421bb8da84ceb054a95a4658.JPG

Remeber a while back I located the Water/methanol injection nozzle into the bottom of the gutted EGR.... I've had a change of plan. I was going to run the meth pump under the drivers inner arch but research is telling me to run the pump near the reservoir, so I'm gonna have to go boot mounted... so the meth pipe will come through the bulkhead on passenger side. Luckily the inlet had a hole that I blanked before, reused that and it'll mean an easier run for the pipe 

IMG_3310.thumb.JPG.36f69c99c591cf8951af76a28b6025ef.JPG

New 90 degree meth pipe fitting is on its way.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Really struggling with motivation on this at the moment, so have been quite happy to leave the garage doors shut for a few weeks. 

The rear brakes have have been sent away for a very light bit of modification with Adam (Southy on here), so I'll get those back in the next couple of weeks then get back onto it. 

I have managed to construct an oil drain solution for the GTB2260 Turbo that's both effective and simple, albeit it using blue oil resistant silicon hose for now, don't worry the Black is on order...

Once I've got the black hose I'll do an exploded picture showing the three parts I've used but all in its less than £30 and fits and works. Much better than trying to bodge the OE pipe.

IMG_3353.thumb.JPG.c5a118d5785f5b872ecf463708a3db09.JPG

IMG_3354.thumb.JPG.3d58f2b3222f6db9f68c284f887ae122.JPG

The 90 degree methanol pipe fitting arrived as well.

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.c0f927ffd14c54ac6967d4900679924e.JPG

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.fcc0402720d1e61e59c82f068c2e9490.JPG

Ordered some new flywheel retaining bolts as well, so theoretically once I've finished the oil drain, made an extra support for the turbo to block I'm at the point then I can think about getting the engine mated to the gearbox and fitting it back in the car... shock horror lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

Really struggling with motivation on this at the moment, so have been quite happy to leave the garage doors shut for a few weeks. 

The rear brakes have have been sent away for a very light bit of modification with Adam (Southy on here), so I'll get those back in the next couple of weeks then get back onto it. 

I have managed to construct an oil drain solution for the GTB2260 Turbo that's both effective and simple, albeit it using blue oil resistant silicon hose for now, don't worry the Black is on order...

Once I've got the black hose I'll do an exploded picture showing the three parts I've used but all in its less than £30 and fits and works. Much better than trying to bodge the OE pipe.

IMG_3353.thumb.JPG.c5a118d5785f5b872ecf463708a3db09.JPG

IMG_3354.thumb.JPG.3d58f2b3222f6db9f68c284f887ae122.JPG

The 90 degree methanol pipe fitting arrived as well.

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.c0f927ffd14c54ac6967d4900679924e.JPG

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.fcc0402720d1e61e59c82f068c2e9490.JPG

Ordered some new flywheel retaining bolts as well, so theoretically once I've finished the oil drain, made an extra support for the turbo to block I'm at the point then I can think about getting the engine mated to the gearbox and fitting it back in the car... shock horror lol

Great to see you back at it :)

did you replace the screws on the air box? If so do you have a link to the ones you used?

Still looks like it’s coming on well!

Motivation is always an issue this time of year... cold, dark, cold... dull.

Hopfully the thought of getting the engine back in will help push things along :D

I’ve done the same with the oil return on the last 2 GTB builds I’ve done by the looks of it ;) tried it on my own about 2 year ago after being disappointed with the xman kit and it’s still going strong.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:34, Dark_Hero said:

Great to see you back at it :)

did you replace the screws on the air box? If so do you have a link to the ones you used?

I've never been able to find the screws that hold the air box lid down anywhere, even TPS don't list them. I chanced across a tdi in a scrappy with mint ones so "acquired " those

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...