Wheel Arch Liner Deflectors

After replacing 4 rear wheel arch liners in 1 year due to the small deflectors in front of the tyre snapping off, I've decided that this can't just be unlucky. They're both the upgraded ones available to order from Skoda as I was told the originals (with sound deadening material towards the upper rear of the arch) were no longer available. The parts fit fine and the only modification related to the installation is the addition of rear mudflaps. Has anyone else any experience of these snapping? If so, how did you fix it? I'm considering trimming the deflector down but wanted to ask on here first.

• Like 1

TMB, that's what I thought but when I last washed the car I checked them and both were fine. Then driving down a dual carriageway at 70mph in the rain the nearside one snapped off while in the outside lane. Nothing on the road and it was only a couple of days after washing. If it'd happened once I'd say unlucky, maybe even twice. But after four times I'm not convinced.

t_reazy, so you're saying my recent attempts at drifting around my local Tesco car park might be a factor? Aside from that I'm not sure how I could change my driving to prevent a small piece of plastic from snapping.

hutchysrs50, £36 each from Pulman Durham.

• Like 1

I fitted new rear arch liners and the deflector broke off in no time.

I got another set and trimmed the deflector down by about half with a Stanley blade, that seems to have stopped them snapping again.

I'm sick of replacing mine, the new style ones seem to be made of something like peanut brittle, one of mine lasted about 3 months then I noticed it was broken again.

Jesus,they break when the cars just sat in the garage covered over?????

• Like 2

Way down to Castle Combe in Sept :p

Yeah,he says it was a accident he ran it over,but I heard the poor badger was waiting to cross the road and Joe mounted the verge to get it :o

• Like 1

So I started a post looking for help, and it turns into how effective the Fabia is at Badger culling! This is why I read these forums, always good for a laugh.

vRS Joe, that's what I was considering so will probably trim mine down too after reading your solution worked.

Both of mine snapped off since I bought the car about two years ago, I haven't a clue how either, one was definitely 'cracked' before it decided to jump ship, not sure how the other one looked.

I can't fathom either how they snap off, a particularly steep speed hump would be possible I suppose. Perhaps parking obscurely on a high kerb? Haven't bothered to replace them as it doesn't annoy me at all.

JRJG

Funnily enough, i noticed both of mine's had snapped yesterday. There are large speed bumps at my work but i always take them slow, the car hasn't been lowered and i've never once heard a scrape or snap when going over them.

I'll buy new ones at the end of the month and trim a little off them but if the sound deadened ones aren't available i will cry.

Edited by Kevin_Mc
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, i noticed both of mine's had snapped yesterday. There are large speed bumps at my work but i always take them slow, the car hasn't been lowered and i've never ones heard a scrape or snap when going over them.

I'll buy new ones at the end of the month and trim a little off them but if the sound deadened ones aren't available i will cry.