No filament bulb project...

@hrvrs You only mentioned you couldn't find an LED that would last a year. What you actually meant to say is that you couldn't find a cheap LED that would last a year ;)

One of the reasons I went for LED is reliability so I expect anything I fit to outlast the car. I did try some cheap Chinese LEDs as my DRL but they died very quickly, even after replacing the resistors with something more appropriate. That was enough to put me off using cheap LEDs in applications where permanent running is required.

Hope you remember where you left the pack if/when they fail and if I notice any branded LEDs going cheap I'll let you know!

Haha, that sounds about right... :D

I also forgot to mention, When I took the car in for it's annual yesterday the tech was able to code out the main beam failure warnings, didn't even mention it as I thought it was impossible!!

Also fixed my upside down window issue too :D

On 30/01/2017 at 18:13, hrvrs said:

So we're down to the small stuff now, and because it's a vRS and therefore I'm allowed to be a bit chav I ordered two of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Custom-Courtesy-Light-Specified-Car-Door-Ground-For-SKODA-Octavia-2004-2008/32740063147.html

"Comments welcome" ;)

I had the plain "Skoda" ones of these. Not bad, but you are very reliant on what the light is being projected on to. Virtually nothing I used them on gave a good image, with the exception of an tar-mac indoor car-park. They were nice and bright though. I do recall having to adjust the connectors as they didn't have the right connector on the end.

Decided not to get the BMW ones on the BMW though ;)

Update:

I fitted my 10 LED Diamond White (6000k) eBay LED sidelights. They work fine. The colour is slightly bluer than the HIDs but I would say it was a decent match. 

One little gotcha in the installation process: If you plug the LED in the wrong way round so it doesn't light then switch it round with the lights still switched on, it still doesn't light. It seems that the car shuts the port down if it doesn't detect a valid bulb when the lights switch on. If you then cycle the light switch off and on, it will work.

There is a small oddity, when you switch the ignition on, the LEDs can be seen flashing softly until the engine is turned over, then they stop.

Edited by Papfox

8 hours ago, Papfox said:

There is a small oddity, when you switch the ignition on, the LEDs can be seen flashing softly until the engine is turned over, then they stop.

This is normal, Skoda calls it "Cold Start Testing" or something similar

When you first turn on the ignition, the CANBUS system tests each bulb by sending a very short pulse of electric through the circuit

The pulse is shorter than the time it takes for a filament bulb to heat up and produce light, but LEDs illuminate instantly, so you see the flashing routine you witnessed :)

Ans yes, if the CANBUS detects a fault with a bulb it will refuse to send more current to that bulb until you cycle the ignition :)

Edited by hrvrs

• 1 month later...

Update: The eBay W5W bulbs haven't been working out well for me. I got a pair of 6 and a pair of 10 SMD ones (two different cars, the Octy with intelligent light control unit and the other basic light switches). One bulb of each pair started flickering and failed after about 2 weeks. Not impressed.

Going to try again with decent brand bulbs.

12 hours ago, Papfox said:

Update: The eBay W5W bulbs haven't been working out well for me. I got a pair of 6 and a pair of 10 SMD ones (two different cars, the Octy with intelligent light control unit and the other basic light switches). One bulb of each pair started flickering and failed after about 2 weeks. Not impressed.

Going to try again with decent brand bulbs.

Sorry to hear you had such problems, I'm onto my second order now and lots of them have been distributed to friends, all not having issues so far, maybe a bad batch?

Hope you find what you're after, langers2k posted previously in this thread about some more expensive but branded options :)

On 08/02/2017 at 23:06, RainbowFire said:

I had the plain "Skoda" ones of these. Not bad, but you are very reliant on what the light is being projected on to. Virtually nothing I used them on gave a good image, with the exception of an tar-mac indoor car-park. They were nice and bright though. I do recall having to adjust the connectors as they didn't have the right connector on the end.

I totally forgot to reply to your comment, they're now fitted and are every bit as tacky and wonderful as I expected, they drive the missus mad which is brilliant :D

Completely invisible during the bright daylight, but at night they project well onto just about any surface, even gravel :)

Und zo.......

I've gone almost filament free on the BMW (LED rear clusters, repeaters, sidelights and dipped beam - oh, HID is so last century now ;);) ) I've also done the front indicators, but ended up (for quickness) with some cheapo ones. What I'm after now is a pair of P21's that are a good, deep, amber, instead of a washed-out ones.

Any suggestions?

• 6 months later...
On 5/13/2016 at 18:48, hrvrs said:

Right, I'm back home now!!

I tested the H1 LED units on a bench battery and they're extremely bright, so much so that I think they'll be wasted on fog/DRL lamps

Do you have a link please to these? I am desperately looking to upgrade the following but want to find the RIGHT LEDs that will not only last but provide excellent light output and still be legal;

H7

H1

H8

FYI I also have a MK2 PreFL Octavia vRS...

4 hours ago, vrsRob said:

I am desperately looking to upgrade the following but want to find the RIGHT LEDs that will not only last but provide excellent light output and still be legal

There are currently no drop in LED bulbs that are road legal in the UK...

On 20/10/2017 at 16:29, vrsRob said:

Do you have a link please to these? I am desperately looking to upgrade the following but want to find the RIGHT LEDs that will not only last but provide excellent light output and still be legal;

H7

H1

H8

FYI I also have a MK2 PreFL Octavia vRS...

You dont need H8 for the fogs. You need H1

On 5/5/2016 at 14:49, hrvrs said:

Following on from the last post I'm impressed with the quality of these bulbs

I've ordered an identical pair for the reverse lamps when the Dectane units arrive (with the correct base of course) and have also taken a punt on these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152069142120

I'm hoping I can get the little control boxes in the fog lamp housings without cutting holes and allowing moisture in

The flexible heat sinks should also be a bit easier to get in than the larger solid ones

Updates when I have chance to fit them...

Just ordered the same LED H7/H1's from this ebay store... safe to say I am very impressed and thank you for posting the link!! :biggrin:

I just need to plug the neutral wire into the bulb holder for the H1's - bit of a pain but will be worth it as when tested they are very bright!!

H7's - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2017-ALL-IN-ONE-50W-5000LM-H7-CREE-LED-SUPER-BRIGHT-WHITE-HEADLIGHT-CAR-KIT/162710985292?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

H1's - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALL-IN-ONE-50W-5000-LUMENS-H1-CREE-LED-SUPER-BRIGHT-WHITE-HEADLIGHT-CAR-KIT/152741255880?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648