Water in the Spare Tyre Well !

petrev

Hi,

Haven't found a Roomster specific thread on this (though there may be one?).

Water in the spare tyre well - took out the polystyrene tray and ther was a lot of wate under it.

Dried it out but it returns - though not when I am watching it - and may come with rain or cold weather ??

Water seems to be fresh and has appeared overnight (?? thus not rear screen wash presumably?)

I have tried pouring water all round but nothing appears to get in - need a power washer I guess . . .

I have found an Octavia thread and it has a few possibles -

Air Vents behind Bumper (seem OK?)

Boot/Hatch seal needs drain holes (??)

Rear light cluster cable entry seals  (seem OK but may be issue ?)

Any further ideas or Roomster specific issues/threads ?

Thanks,

Pete

Fracture of the rear window washer pipe is a known problem on the Roomster.

Does the water that has collected in the wheel well smell of washer fluid?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/258248-rear-window-washer-pipe-fractured-07-roomster/?hl=%2Bwasher+%2Btube

Thanks for the info.

No smell of screen clean and looks like fresh water ???

• 3 weeks later...

Answer . . .

So the answer is (in my case) - Gaps in the rear seam between inner and outer skins.

Water was getting inside the U-channel of the boot seal and tracking down, and in through the seam gaps.

Comes out into the Boot here, and the same spot on the other side.

(I thought it was around the Air Vents so I put Sikaflex round them but it didn't help :( )

1-Water-In-ThruHere_zpsa5aw11hz.jpg

Remove the Boot/Hatch seal and this is what you find ......

Gets into the inner space through gaps in the seam here

2-Water-In-ThruHere-OutsideSeam_zpsdcx3p

and also down the edge here (same both sides)

3-Water-In-ThruHere-OutsideSeam_zpswkzpa

I put Grey Sikaflex 221 along the entire length of the seam - all along the Boot/Hatch seal line.

4-Sikaflex-Top-OutsideSeam_zps4vzglzqh.j

Bottom

5-Sikaflex-Lower-OutsideSeam_zpshzz4fnxg

I was getting a few inches of pooling during big downpours - Fingers crossed no more ingress !

HTH

Pete

Edited by petrev
  • Like 1

How did you suspect there was water in the well? I looked at mine last night and saw how much trim had to be removed to lift out the polystyrene inset and left it for another day.

How did you suspect there was water in the well? I looked at mine last night and saw how much trim had to be removed to lift out the polystyrene inset and left it for another day.

Hi,

My polystyrene insert just lifted out without removing any trim. Lifted from the front edge (furthest from boot opening) then it comes out from under the boot lip trim.

Had to remove the boot lip trim in order to see the drips coming into the tyre well just above the air vents (2x Torx screws by the warning triangle slot and then unclips from the bottom inwards first, I think). Then I removed the rubber surround all around the boot opening to see the seam gaps where the water was entering the system (just pulls off).

I marked Top-Middle with some tape before fully removing rubber seal so that I could refit in correct position.

HTH

Pete

Edited by petrev

p.s.

No need to remove the trim to Sikaflex (mastic) the seam, if you need to.

Just remove the rubber hatch seal.

Pete

Edited by petrev

Just looked at mine and it is dry as a bone. Noticed that you have a silver lining to your wheel well. Mine is plain unpolished paint

Edited by edbostan

Just looked at mine and it is dry as a bone. Noticed that you have a silver lining to your wheel well. Mine is plain unpolished paint

Soundproofing - Silentcoat sheets.

• 3 months later...

Hey man did this fix the problem? Iv got a simpler leak on mine one both the same spots both sides of the boot going to lift the seal to morrow

Yes - This fixed my problem. Hope it fixes yours too.

• 11 months later...