HID Kit - Programming needed Hampshire

VAG started to use a single BCM in place of separate central electronics and central convenience modules around 2009. Why has it taken 7 years of folks frying their BCMs before hitting in this system which is now becoming accepted as safe???

My thoughts exactly.

Most people have fitted HID kits directly to the power outputs from the BCM using the existing halogen connections, meaning aftermarket ballasts can damage the MOSFET in the BCM.

This in my opinion remains unsafe!

However, by using a relay to connect the HID kit, it no longer has a direct path to the MOSFET in the BCM thus protecting it. The only worry in my mind is the inductive load from the relay, this is commonly solved by using a flyback diode to prevent the reverse surge when the relay is de-energised.

I would be genuinely surprised if there were any risk to the BCM when used with a correctly installed relay kit.

I would also expect zero issues when an OEM spec ballast is used, mostly as my original halogen BCM seems to be working perfectly with OEM ballasts :)

• Like 1

I think in addition to a flyback diode I'd put another diode in series with the lights or relay, one of the schottky diodes would be a good choice due to low voltage drop across the diode. This will stop any spikes or A.C. ripple on the BCMs pins. My FL has been fine with HIDs for three years so I'm now not worried but I was thinking of doing this as an insurance policy, can't hurt probably don't need a relay if one of these was in series with the HIDs to protect the BCM.

http://cpc.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/mbr1045g/diode-schottky-10a-45v/dp/SC07390

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

I drive a 2011 Octavia and I went through a lot of pain trying to get after market HID's to work but I finally came upon the kits that have the canbus-pro ballasts. they have been in the car for 5 years now and work fine with no mods and no re-programming etc. You can get them on the Bay from a seller called hids-direct for around £60. No affiliation with the seller..

You have to get the canbus-pro ballasts. I found other ballasts with resistors etc did not work. If you can, try and buy the HID bulbs with the metal bases. I had to buy the bulbs and the ballasts seperately to do this, but it makes fitting easier.

You can also get the modified bulb retaining clips on the Bay to fit the HID bulbs in the standard headlight fitting, or you can do like I did and dremel a slot in the existing ones. You need to do this because the HID bulbs come with the cables already attached and you can't get them through the existing clips. 

I went for 5000k temp as they give a white light with no blue, these or 4300K are good.

• 5 years later...

Installed aftermarket HID kit with relay bypass kit, the hid is working fine but cannot get rid of blow bulb warning on dash. Does anyone know how to get it off with VCDS?

or do i need physical resistor installed?