Hi 

I have seen posts for older Octavia's overheating, is this a common fault?

My 63 Plate Octavia has just 40343 miles on it has today overheated (in the red) and yesterday evening (not in the red) on the way home from work. When I've pulled over it's dropped back down to normal, so have gently plodded on. Due to the bank holiday I cannot get Mertle (My Octavia) to the Skoda Garage till Tuesday. 

I would never thought a car under 3 years would have such a problem.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have the same car, so will be interested to find out what the problem turns out to be. I don't think this engine is particularly prone to overheating issues, so I hope it is easily sorted for you.

Don't keep driving it!

If you damage the engine the dealer could invalidate your warranty as you drove it showing a major fault

Have you checked the coolant level?

Coolant level is fine. Oil is fine. Just very surprised such a new car would have an overheating problem, the last car I had that overheated was over 18yrs ago and that was a 1983 Mk1 Astra which need a new radiator.

Looks like taxis to work to work tomorrow for me then. :-( 

Edited by BigBlueSootMachine

Yep mine is doing exactly the same. Does it most days at some point and as soon as the warning comes on the temp drops back to normal and stays there no problem. Booked in this week to main stealers

Coolant level is fine. Oil is fine. Just very surprised such a new car would have an overheating problem, the last car I had that overheated was over 18yrs ago and that was a 1983 Mk1 Astra which need a new radiator.

Looks like taxis to work to work tomorrow for me then. :-(

Can (with engine cold of course) you remove the cap from the expansion tank then start engine to check for coolant circulation within the expansion tank? If coolant is flowing back in then your pump is fine so should then narrow down to thermostat.

The water pump used on this engine has an electronically operated sleeve used to regulate pump output or prevent it form circulating in some case. This gives the ECU better control of the temps and allows for a much faster warm up time from cold.

Sadly the pumps are prone to failure in the form of a swelled rubber seal that jams the sleeve and prevents it from operating correctly.

The pump can only circulate the coolant at half pressure and during prolonged journeys, usually on the motorway the engine will sporadically overheat.

Your dealer should be aware of this and be able to rectify this fault within a day (parts stock pending).

Will this problem with the Water Temp affect the Oil Temp, on a recent trip on the M62 at Motorway speeds the oil temp on my Vrs hit 105/106 degrees.

ease off and the temp drops to about the normal running temp around the 90/95 Degree mark

Just to Add, the Water Temp Gauge always stays at 90 Degrees

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

marginally yes but you'll find that if you were to monitor the actual temp of the coolant in digital form that it would not always remain on 90 degrees C despite what the gauge shows. The gauge will show 90 degrees fixed when operating between 85-105 degrees c. It does this so it doesn't cause concern. The same would occur if an analogue oil temp gauge was fitted, it would be designed to stick to a certain temp, say 105 degrees and would only stray away if the temp became too low or high.

oil temps below 130 degrees are no cause for concern. The boiling point of oil is also much higher than that of coolant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

marginally yes but you'll find that if you were to monitor the actual temp of the coolant in digital form that it would not always remain on 90 degrees C despite what the gauge shows. The gauge will show 90 degrees fixed when operating between 85-105 degrees c. It does this so it doesn't cause concern. The same would occur if an analogue oil temp gauge was fitted, it would be designed to stick to a certain temp, say 105 degrees and would only stray away if the temp became too low or high.

oil temps below 130 degrees are no cause for concern. The boiling point of oil is also much higher than that of coolant.

Thanks for that James, mind put at rest.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The water pump used on this engine has an electronically operated sleeve used to regulate pump output or prevent it form circulating in some case. This gives the ECU better control of the temps and allows for a much faster warm up time from cold.

Sadly the pumps are prone to failure in the form of a swelled rubber seal that jams the sleeve and prevents it from operating correctly.

The pump can only circulate the coolant at half pressure and during prolonged journeys, usually on the motorway the engine will sporadically overheat.

Your dealer should be aware of this and be able to rectify this fault within a day (parts stock pending).

My car appears to have suffered this problem today. Do you know if the rectification is with a 'like for like' pump or has there been any modification carried out?

• 4 months later...