yes but only when it fails so you'll end up with a tow :(

well that sucks. happened twice today out of nowhere really. coolant was near minimum, so will top that in the morning and fingers crossed the matter will be resolved.  both times was after a few miles and then returned to normal, no signs of any leaks and far from heavy driving.

yes but only when it fails so you'll end up with a tow :(

Not necessarily; if a part is faulty and the vehicle is still under warranty, then it will be fixed under warranty. You also won't necessarily need a tow either, if there's still enough coolant left or it's topped back up the car will run fine to be driven to a garage.

well that sucks. happened twice today out of nowhere really. coolant was near minimum, so will top that in the morning and fingers crossed the matter will be resolved.  both times was after a few miles and then returned to normal, no signs of any leaks and far from heavy driving.

How old is you car?

The level is probably just teetering on the point that the light comes on, mine came on intermittently too. Also I could never see a leak or wet patches on the road, however when the guys at the garage looked from underneath they could see it clearly leaking.

Not necessarily; if a part is faulty and the vehicle is still under warranty, then it will be fixed under warranty. You also won't necessarily need a tow either, if there's still enough coolant left or it's topped back up the car will run fine to be driven to a garage.

I was assuming he meant the sticky valve problem.  Mine never lost any fluid. It just packed up on the motorway and errored saying stop the engine immediately so it required a tow to the garage

Sorry for being a bit dim but I've never had an oil temperature gauge. Mine on a hard drive goes up to 105 degrees and usually between that and 90. Is this a normal temp range? Ta.

Is there any way of changing that so the gauge reads accurately, simply to appease my OCD?? :)

I don't know but a bluetooth ODB adaptor and app like Torque will show you oil and coolant temps along with a host of other stuff, if you are a data hound like me!

Sorry for being a bit dim but I've never had an oil temperature gauge. Mine on a hard drive goes up to 105 degrees and usually between that and 90. Is this a normal temp range? Ta.

That's normal, my previous car (RS4) when driven hard would get up to 110 Celsius - and people who took them round the Nurburgring regularly got the oil temperature into the low 120's.

• Like 1

checked the coolant when cold and it was below minimum so I have now rectified that and no issues driving to work today (about 25 miles). absolutely no sign of a leak. may just have been low and causing the issue. will monitor before looking into the valve situation.

That's about the same as me. 14 plate and around 36000 when I started getting the overheat problem. Just rang the garage and they knew immediately what the problem was and said it would be sorted under warranty.

Car never needed to be towed.

One thing that did happen just after the water pump was changed was that the coolant dropped to below minimum. Had to go back to the garage to get it topped up, but has been fine since.

That's normal, my previous car (RS4) when driven hard would get up to 110 Celsius - and people who took them round the Nurburgring regularly got the oil temperature into the low 120's.

I got an EPC at 133

Changed the oil afterwards just to be on the safe side though

I got an EPC at 133

The SSP for the EA211 engine says that when the oil temperature exceeds an upper limit it turns on the EPC and goes into limp mode - sounds like that's what you had happen.

This is timely. My 14 plate, 20K miles did this twice last Monday but been fine since. Each time I immediately pulled over. I put it down to a faulty sender as no sign of overheating when I opened the bonnet. Coolant level fine etc. After letting it return to normal all was OK.

Now I know I'll get it booked in.

Well I have joined the vrs overheating community mine did it 3 weeks ago 4 times, the same thing as other people temp gauge hits the red pull over turn the engine off then back on then the gauge settles back to 90 took it to Harlow skoda and voiced my concerns of what I have read here. And surprise surprise water pump problem my mine is a 2013 bought it 2 and half years ago as an ex demo with 10 k on the clock I have covered only 24 k in total 34 k on the clock but it's 3 months out of manufacturers warranty and yes skoda don't want to know so I'm 485 pounds lighter today.

To say my skoda experience has taken a Royal dump is an understatement and sadly I won't be trading in now for the superb sports line because I my eyes skoda know about this problem and are not willing to help and that's crap customer care.

• Like 1

Well mine is booked in at the local vw garage who now do skoda services. Only done it once since.

Guy I spoke didn't know about the problem but if a parts failure warranty would cover. The guy was the warranty admin guy though not the garage.

Edited by Wodge

Well I have joined the vrs overheating community mine did it 3 weeks ago 4 times, the same thing as other people temp gauge hits the red pull over turn the engine off then back on then the gauge settles back to 90 took it to Harlow skoda and voiced my concerns of what I have read here. And surprise surprise water pump problem my mine is a 2013 bought it 2 and half years ago as an ex demo with 10 k on the clock I have covered only 24 k in total 34 k on the clock but it's 3 months out of manufacturers warranty and yes skoda don't want to know so I'm 485 pounds lighter today.

To say my skoda experience has taken a Royal dump is an understatement and sadly I won't be trading in now for the superb sports line because I my eyes skoda know about this problem and are not willing to help and that's crap customer care.

I would be writing a letter to Skoda HQ, as it is clear that this is a defect with the early water pumps, and under trading standards regs Skoda are still liable. You just have to prove that there is a defect, which this thread is clearly doing. To many are failing with the same problem.

When I phoned about mine, the technician had it diagnosed before I had even finished the sentence, it is that common a problem.

Might also be an idea to mention Watchdog in the letter as well. I'm pretty sure they don't want to appear on there.

I would be writing a letter to Skoda HQ, as it is clear that this is a defect with the early water pumps, and under trading standards regs Skoda are still liable. You just have to prove that there is a defect, which this thread is clearly doing. To many are failing with the same problem.

When I phoned about mine, the technician had it diagnosed before I had even finished the sentence, it is that common a problem.

Might also be an idea to mention Watchdog in the letter as well. I'm pretty sure they don't want to appear on there.

You might find that your poor experience has actually been with your dealer and not Skoda U.K.

If your dealer had bothered their arse to check on the Skoda goodwill matrix they would have probably found that you'd be entitled to most if not all the repair costs to be covered by Skoda U.K. With a car of that age and mileage and with a well known fault I would be astounded if they refused to pay.

Instead it would seem that they've taken the best part of £500 off you and fobbed you off.

If you want to get somewhere with this then I'd start with customer services.

• Like 1

34,000miles and 39 months old and "Skoda didn't want to know" just doesn't add up. They'll offer goodwill on practically anything within a certain age and mileage range and yours fits well within that spectrum, I'm sad to say it sounds like the dealer just had your pants down.

its in. having a new water pump fitted. rolling in a fabia...it is ****

Hi Wodge, I have to agree with your opinion of the Fabia - I had a 16 plate on loan while my ex-dealer finally fixed my stop-start problem, did not impress me either.

Warrior193. 

• Like 1

Hi Wodge, I have to agree with your opinion of the Fabia - I had a 16 plate on loan while my ex-dealer finally fixed my stop-start problem, did not impress me either.

Warrior193. 

was actually surprised how pony it was. was obviously a low level one for a courtesy car but people buy these! shocking.

• Like 2

was actually surprised how pony it was. was obviously a low level one for a courtesy car but people buy these! shocking.

I had one on loan for a day. Hottest day of the year and the air con only just about coped. Not a nice car at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I joined the Overheating Club today, Lots of red lights on dash and messages to stop immediately, always when you're in the outside lane at 70! Skoda Assist to the rescue...  failed water pump. Car at dealers, now waiting for a loaner from Skoda.