• 2 weeks later...

When was this water pump modified as a lot of the cars on here seem to be 2014 - am I safe(ish) with a MY2016 model?

I'm interested in this too - with a 66 plate vrs currently on the boat!

When was this water pump modified as a lot of the cars on here seem to be 2014 - am I safe(ish) with a MY2016 model?

IIRC early 2015, Fault caused by sticking sleeve. The pump doesn't circulate water until the engine reaches a certain temperature. Then a valve in the pump opens, or not if the sleeve has changed shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear ... I'm the newest overheating club member.

Noticed water temp increased a couple of days ago, today it briefly hit red before returning to normal.

Each time for me this was 50mph on the M60 through the road works, almost always along the same stretch of road on the way home from work!

2014 vRS, 34k miles.

Will call local dealer tomorrow to get booked in!

My own car is doing the same '14 reg 1.6TDi with 27,000 milea, made a separate post on the forum.

Main dealer has acknowledged the issue and will replace the component along with servicing it the same day.

Edited by SkodaCB

• 1 month later...

Looks like I am just about to join this club - 2014 vrs cr with just over 60k on the clock.  Will phone around the dealers tomorrow and see if any of them will do it under warranty.

I had no problems getting this changed under warranty. Only thing to note was that not long after the pump change I got a low coolant warning. Probably down to the levels settling after the replacement. So I would also ask the dealer for some extra coolant incase it happens. Levels have been stable since the top up.

I just flicked through all those complaining of the water pump problem and they are mostly vrs.

Anyone know if the pump in the 1.4tsi on a 2014 Octavia is likely to have the same problem?

No problem so far but with low mileage (about 20k miles) and nearing the end of the 3 year warranty period I'm worried that Murphy's law will apply and it would fail soon after.

2 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

I just flicked through all those complaining of the water pump problem and they are mostly vrs.

Anyone know if the pump in the 1.4tsi on a 2014 Octavia is likely to have the same problem?

No problem so far but with low mileage (about 20k miles) and nearing the end of the 3 year warranty period I'm worried that Murphy's law will apply and it would fail soon after.

I'll admit to wondering the same thing.  My 2014 1.4 TSI is on 32,000 miles now and warranty runs out in March.  There have been no water pump issues that I've noticed...

44 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

I've had an EPC with an oil temp of 131C and as yet no water pump issues so I'd say they are pretty bullet proof 

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well, mines in now. Intermittent sudden rise in temperature after about 15 minutes on the road, flashing lights, stop the car etc. Pull over, let idle and temperature drops back to 90 after a few seconds. Fans blasting away and no loss of coolant. Ok for the rest of the journey. Doesn't always do it, sometimes rises to 3/4 then drops back.

The garage have decided it's the electric water pump (what electric water pump?) as I was going to get them to replace the cambelt at the same time (cars almost 4 with 50k on the clock). As they're nowhere near the cambelt, that's a job for another day.

Semi-good news is that they've gone to Skoda who have offered a goodwill 50/50 split on labour and parts - but still leaves me 250 notes lighter :-(

Let's see if that cures the problem...

Pump replaced but confused as the lassie on the desk said it was the electric pump, but the paperwork states TPI 2039483/7 replaced coolant pump part no 04L121011EX.

This is the mechanical pump so why they couldn't change the cambelt beats me.

Anyway, let's see how long this lasts.

I bitched and moan to SUK (mine was just outside of warranty) and got mine changed FOC although it did take a lot of effort.  I paid the cambelt kit price (£197) and had that fitted at the same time.  Was a right old faff and took a week to get my car back.

Twice in the last couple of days I have stopped the car and found the cooling fan running (after a reasonable drive - not crawling through traffic), so wonder if there may be an air lock somewhere.

34 minutes ago, mbames said:

Twice in the last couple of days I have stopped the car and found the cooling fan running (after a reasonable drive - not crawling through traffic), so wonder if there may be an air lock somewhere.

Almost certainly DPF regeneration. If the regen doesn't finish when you stop the car the fan will keep on running because the normal regen hasn't finished. Probably a good idea to take the car for a fairly fast drive and use Sport mode for a while. Another indication of the DPF regen in operation is that tickover will be at about 1000 rpm. Also, if you have stop/start, the engine won't stop when stationary.

On 10/03/2017 at 11:43, bertJ said:

Almost certainly DPF regeneration. If the regen doesn't finish when you stop the car the fan will keep on running because the normal regen hasn't finished. Probably a good idea to take the car for a fairly fast drive and use Sport mode for a while. Another indication of the DPF regen in operation is that tickover will be at about 1000 rpm. Also, if you have stop/start, the engine won't stop when stationary.

My normal work trip (each way) is 60 miles, so I'll whack it into sport for the twisty A-road drive in.... (if I have enough fuel in the tank!!)

I think my 2.0 (non vrs) diesel has just joined the overheating club.  

I'd noticed a couple of times while on dual carriageway at 70 stop start a month or so ago it saying it couldn't stop as it wasn't maintaining operating temperature.

Last night running through some of the smaller B roads home at traffic lights, with what appeared plenty of warmth it didn't turn off with that same reason, and then a mile or so from home I started getting the red "stop car immediately, overheating" message with the water at 130C

I eased off (not that I was going fast with the dogs in the boot), turned the heat up to full and after a few moments it suddenly dropped back to 90C 

With my eye on the water and the maxi-dot set to oil temp I watched it carefully on my normal commute, and it appears the wind chill of 70 MPH kept the water to about 110 and oil at 106 before something seemed to open and it went back to its normal steady 90C.  

The last time I'd seen a car behave like that was my old rover 214 after it had blown its head and started to drink coolant, but all the levels looked fine and I couldn't see any blow fuses anywhere

Annoyingly, it went out of warranty 3 weeks ago!  But its booked in to the dealers on thursday.

39 minutes ago, cobaltfish said:

Annoyingly, it went out of warranty 3 weeks ago!  But its booked in to the dealers on thursday.

3 weeks out of warranty is nothing really (especially if you are under the mileage limit).  Mine was over the miles, but under in age.  Eventually I got the outcome I wanted, but it took a lot of phone calls - dealer, SUK x 3 and facebook before they eventually caved in.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 13:44, themanwithnoaim said:

I've had an EPC with an oil temp of 131C and as yet no water pump issues so I'd say they are pretty bullet proof 

Were you being a little "enthusiastic" with it at the time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mabnz said:

My car is about week 17 MY16, do you know when the revised pump came into effect?

Hi Mab, MoggyTech (post toward top of this page) says that these pumps were changed in early 2015 - so yours should be ok. What part of GodsOwn are you from?  

Edited by Warrior193
typo

On 3/14/2017 at 11:20, mbames said:

3 weeks out of warranty is nothing really (especially if you are under the mileage limit).  Mine was over the miles, but under in age.  Eventually I got the outcome I wanted, but it took a lot of phone calls - dealer, SUK x 3 and facebook before they eventually caved in.

It's not going so well at the moment.  It was 3 years and 21 days since I'd collected the car when I reported the issue, and it has done about 49k miles.

My progress so far is  90% of the cost of the pump from the dealership, but they can't offer anything on the cam/timing belt which is "recommended".  That will leave me with approximately £250 to get the car working again.

Skoda UK customer services say that they no longer have a good will policy, that it is solely the dealerships that provide goodwill now.  

It is being escalated to a SUK CS manager, but I'm not holding my breath.  

Hopefully the work will be done by close of play today, and I can return the Citigo I've had over the weekend!

I got the same; that the goodwill comes from the dealer and not SUK.  I assume the dealer has to claim it back SUK afterwards.  It seems (least what my dealer said) was that SUK would cover 50% of the pump costs.

When I took mine in, initially they said it would be 100% covered, so I said "well if you are in there, can you do the cambelt too - I'll just pay for the kit".  Afterwards, it went a bit backwards,  when they said they'd only cover 50% of the pump.  Eventually I went through Facebook and eventually one of their agents phoned me, and I was quite blunt "design fault", etc and that my expected outcome was I didn't want to pay for the pump.  Yours is well under miles then.

I did play the card of this is my 4th Skoda (and 5th in the family), and never had I seen such a failed designed in any previous Octavias.....

End bill for me was:
Supply of Cambelt and kit - £197
Supply of waterpump - £0
Labour - £0

Daily loan car costs (was meant to be: £10 per day, I had it 6 days in all) - £0
Key fob battery replaced - £0
Total - £197

Not sure they ever want to see me in their again though.  The service manager said "we have lost out on the cambelt fittting, timing, etc and we've changed your fob battery too'.  I thanked him most kindly (over the phone - he wasn't in when I collected the car, probably down the pub having a few beers to drown his sorrows).