Anyone worked out the Hidden boost gauge screen for VRS?

Some of you may have seen this clip for the 2016 MK7 golf gti pp

https://youtu.be/nvHs_iDUN9k

It shows a boost gauge in the car screen under selections, sport.

Australian spec cars come standard with the 8" Columbus but no sport screen.

Does anyone have this in there Vrs, maybe a 230 has it as it's similar the the gti performance pack drivetrain wise.

We don't get the 230 in Aus.

I have had a look on VCDS to see of it can be activated but the coding for the infotainment module dosnt have explanations unexpected to the tick boxes.

Anyone worked this out. Shouldn't be to hard to add as there very similar.

• Like 1

As it stands at the moment it is not possible, people have tried it on the Octy and the new Superb without success. It appears that it is only possible on the VWs (Golf/Passat) it maybe a hardware thing.

The boost gauge is of limited actual use in reality as (like the phone apps) it does not take into account ambient pressure so it will vary a lot each day and always over-reads.

Not as fancy as a boost gauge, but the offroad angle gauges seem to work though

As it stands at the moment it is not possible, people have tried it on the Octy and the new Superb without success. It appears that it is only possible on the VWs (Golf/Passat) it maybe a hardware thing.

The boost gauge is of limited actual use in reality as (like the phone apps) it does not take into account ambient pressure so it will vary a lot each day and always over-reads.

Not as fancy as a boost gauge, but the offroad angle gauges seem to work though

Not so much a want for a accurate boost gauge as i prefer the old bum to seat gauge. More a do it cause you can and not let the big brother VW get all the good grapes.

It's surely just a software change as the hardware is the same.

• Like 1

It's a firmware change. GTI/GTD cars as of MY17 will have the sports display in place of the Think Blue monitor.

I'd wager those with earlier MIB2'S who end up getting firmware revisions at some point due to warranty issues will end up getting the sports display.

Unfortunately I won't be able to prove the pudding there as I no longer have my Mk7 GTD.

Not so much a want for a accurate boost gauge as i prefer the old bum to seat gauge. More a do it cause you can and not let the big brother VW get all the good grapes.

It's surely just a software change as the hardware is the same.

The coding changes that activate it on a VW do not do the same on the Skoda. I have compared a few admaps from a GTi and cannot see a coding change that would have any effect on this. Others have done the same with no success.

It it was not a good use of my time as I was drawing a blank and spent too much time on it already. There was no obvious extra coding changes that would allow the VW coding to work, so the feeling is it is hardware.

All ears if you have any ideas. Any changes (apart from the obvious ones in 5f) you find, shout them out and we will have a look.

May be better to move this to the VCDS section as a lot of useful input comes from the Superb and others

The coding changes that activate it on a VW do not do the same on the Skoda. I have compared a few admaps from a GTi and cannot see a coding change that would have any effect on this. Others have done the same with no success.

It it was not a good use of my time as I was drawing a blank and spent too much time on it already. There was no obvious extra coding changes that would allow the VW coding to work, so the feeling is it is hardware.

All ears if you have any ideas. Any changes (apart from the obvious ones in 5f) you find, shout them out and we will have a look.

May be better to move this to the VCDS section as a lot of useful input comes from the Superb and others

Not sure what the uk cars come up with but in the Aus spec when you go to the infotainment module there are no descriptions of what each byte and bit does. It's just tick boxs. I think this is all the changes to my sat Nav and radio as module 37 navigation and radio say there is no module.

Read a few threads about this and the general census of opinion is that, it's not possible, even on some mk7 Golf R's let alone other models on the platform.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I stand corrected - it seems according to the video they managed to enable it, but it seems it is hit and miss and it is only possible on MIB2, and even then no one knows what are the dependinces to get it to work.

It is not just some VCDS coding.

I have the performance gauge screen in my new Passat Alltrack, same as the one shown in the YouTube video.

I also have an additional off road screen, which brings up an altimeter, inclinometer and compass ;)

All the screens can be personalised, so each of the three dials can be flipped to a different performance / off road gauge :)

I've got the off road screen to semi work on mine (provides only 2 options), but I've yet to get the performance screen to work.

Last time I tried I lost a few of the standard stuff.

On the golf r forums it seems that it's a software thing that's not enabled by VCDS

The offroad screen is working in mine with all three options. But I have not played with it since. 

From what I read the SportHMI needs a dealer SWaP code (Software as Product) for this and then the adaptions in 5f will work.

Not impossible but outside of the range of VCDS for now

• 1 year later...

In the Aus O3 RS this OneApp screen shows a number of customisable dials (one large and four small) one of which is turbo pressure in %. I'm not sure how valuable it is, but the interface for the other levels, which could be hp, gas %, ambient temp and OneApp points (?!?),is worse than the previous version of OneApp. It's only activated when the iPhone is connected via CarPlay. 

If you can be bothered to drive round with your phone plugged in and you use android you may as well use the Torque App and use mirrorlink to display the screen.

You will need to enable video/mirrorlink in motion with either VCP or OBDeleven. VCDS can't do it at the moment

Had this on my 2017 golf match edition 1.6tdi and it was on the superb sportline I test drove last week. Nice little gimmick. What it does highlight is that when the car is in eco mode you don't get full power, only 85%ish, but when you press the throttle into the kickdown it then gives the full power.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/02/2018 at 20:58, themanwithnoaim said:

Its standard on the vRS245

20170825_175012.jpg

I wonder if it's just on the 245 but not the 230. What's the navigation path on the infotainment that you follow?

1 hour ago, SunsetZed said:

I wonder if it's just on the 245 but not the 230. What's the navigation path on the infotainment that you follow?

Yeah as far as I know, its 245 only in the Skoda range, it's found under Car menu, then Lap timer, then side arrow