Decorative foils and insurance

Gyp

The lad passed his test last month so we've been looking out for the best deal we could find for an 18 year old.

Insuring the free-from-his-grandad 1993 Rover 214 SEi was scarily expensive (roughly £2.5k TPFT), and provided neither the image that an 18 year old wants nor the safety features that a parent requires.

Insuring a Citigo SE would work out at about £750 if we moved the fleet to Admiral Multicar. That ticked the boxes.

After lots and lots of searching and looking, we brought this home last week.

IMG_20160506_142546.jpg

We're currently driving it on the Skoda drive away insurance which is valid for the next couple of days

Having got home we ran the quote again to get cover sorted out. It had gone up by a few pounds, but I'm used to these online quotes changing daily so that wasn't entirely unexpected.

However... making sure we declared everything...

I added the non-standard wheels to the quote - quote goes up by £10

I added the PID to the quote - quote stays the same

I added the decorative foils to the quote - quote goes up by £540!!!

It seems that I've either got to start the insurance search all over again, or remove the foils. Nightmare. It never occurred to me that the price would go up for inexpensive peel-off stickers. A permanent paint job, perhaps but not stickers.

Aren't they a factory fit?

Not on the SE, no.

They were on (I think) the Monte Carlo that year, but these stripes, asking with the wheels, were not factory fit on the car. I got the Skoda config printout just to be sure

Correction - they were standard on the Citigo Sport

Edited by Gyp
  • Like 1

To be honest do you really need to declare the foils? The other bits I can understand but not really the foils!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the web site - "Has your car been modified in any way? This is a cosmetic or performance change to the car away from the manufacturer's standard specification (including optional extras)"

I reckon so.

The standard foils on the Sport or Monte Carlo wouldn't need to be declared as they were standard specification

A quick call to Admiral and ...

yes, they need to be declared and yes the cost of having them on is an extra £540!

I can see a hairdryer in the lad's future...

...and they're gone.

A real shame as they made the car stand out, but at the moment, proper valid insurance is a much higher priority than stripes

• Like 2

Ridiculous

How far does this go?

Should we declare Brisky stickers as cosmetic changes to our cars? :wall:

Probably not, but the Skoda foils are far from a subtle window sticker. Definitely "go faster" stripes

I insured my Yeti and my wife's Mii last year with Admiral but they made such a fuss about a non blame claim on her car we told them where to go this year!

Her car was hit when parked in a disabled bay whilst we were away from it. The perpetrator left his phone number and admitted full liability and she didn't even have to claim her excess back. The other insurance paid up with no problems but Admiral treated her as if she had caused the damage herself. When we queried it Admiral said it made her more of a risk!  

As far as I'm concerned Admiral can sail away.......

Fred

A quick call to Admiral and ...

yes, they need to be declared and yes the cost of having them on is an extra £540!

I can see a hairdryer in the lad's future...

Completely absurd. What is their justification for this -- i.e., where is the increased risk coming from? Does having foils make it a more attractive target for criminals? Do they think your teenager's going to spontaneously transform into a boy-racer because there are some strips of black plastic stuck on the car?

...They do know what a decorative foil is, yeah?

Edited by ettlz

It was Admiral who hoisted up Sheila Hancocks premium by 100% because she was old and because of no blame claims said that she was an increased risk -  statistically older drivers are safer, but due to age are more reliant on their cars - so why not bump up the premium ! the old can afford it !!!!!!!! ( joke )

• Like 1

Completely absurd. What is their justification for this -- i.e., where is the increased risk coming from? Does having foils make it a more attractive target for criminals? Do they think your teenager's going to spontaneously transform into a boy-racer because there are some strips of black plastic stuck on the car?

...They do know what a decorative foil is, yeah?

I'd say that yes, stickers *do* make it appear more appealing to thieves and are also more likely to appeal to "boy racer" drivers.

£540 is a ludicrous increase though.

• Like 1

Me having an SE L spec car is £670 a year on insurance from Admiral, but for an SE, it's £640ish.

A £40 increase due to having a start stop system fitted along with electric wing mirrors and heated seats.

Not sure where the logic is but there we go.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

So if the car got bumped and the car was inspected by the insurance company's assessor and had the stripes on it,the cover would be null and void?

So if the car got bumped and the car was inspected by the insurance company's assessor and had the stripes on it,the cover would be null and void?

Who knows, I never used to declare any of my mods in the past but it seems these days insurers will do anything to get out of paying up.

I insured my Yeti and my wife's Mii last year with Admiral but they made such a fuss about a non blame claim on her car we told them where to go this year!

Her car was hit when parked in a disabled bay whilst we were away from it. The perpetrator left his phone number and admitted full liability and she didn't even have to claim her excess back. The other insurance paid up with no problems but Admiral treated her as if she had caused the damage herself. When we queried it Admiral said it made her more of a risk!  

As far as I'm concerned Admiral can sail away.......

In my experience, no one is delighted by their insurer, and the best you can do is not give them an excuse not to pay out

• Like 1

It was Admiral who hoisted up Sheila Hancocks premium by 100% because she was old and because of no blame claims said that she was an increased risk -  statistically older drivers are safer, but due to age are more reliant on their cars - so why not bump up the premium ! the old can afford it !!!!!!!! ( joke )

Whilst there's no denying that insurance companies are there to make money, but their premiums are based on the statistics of accidents across the populus, and they will set premiums based on their risk exposure and their willingness to carry that risk.

Statistically young drivers are very high risk, and the premiums they are asked to pay are huge and there's no doubt some insurers are setting the prices high simply because they'd rather not have the business; they don't want to carry the risk.

The figures show that as drivers age, they are less and less likely to be in accidents (whether causing them or not) and this is why premiums drop, but this trend sharply reverses for drivers in their 70's and older when the risks leap up again. What can make it worse for older drivers is that many insurance companies won't take on the over 80's, so their ability to shop around disappears.

The no-blame claims is tricky too, as the statistics may well show that those involved in non-blame accidents may be at increased risk of accidents that they may be at fault. If this is the case, then it is right that the insurance company set the premiums accordingly.

That said, I know I'm happy when my premiums go down because of the accident stats of other people, but feel totally victimised when they go up for the same reasons

Get your lad to join IAM take the driving course. Once he has joined, get a quote from IAM Surety Insurance ... for IAM members and families only. They are brilliant tomdeal with and sholdcsave him/you some real money.

And the IAM driving tuition might well save his life, one day.

• Like 2

Adrian Flux, doubt they'd be bothered about the wheels, changing mine to VW wheels cost £0, I can imagine the sport stripe also being £0 as Adrian Flux tend to only be bothered about mods that add horsepower 

Get your lad to join IAM take the driving course. Once he has joined, get a quote from IAM Surety Insurance ... for IAM members and families only. They are brilliant tomdeal with and sholdcsave him/you some real money.

And the IAM driving tuition might well save his life, one day.

Sound advice and would undoubtedly reduce the chances of grief...especially for a youngster. (I started my first advanced lessons and tests at 18).

But likely to fall on deaf ears. A glance on most forums and a earwig in on most conversations (and this one is no exception) reveals far more interest in chipping your engine, fitting LED lights to various parts of the trim and swapping wheels for smarter ones. The question of road safety rarely crops up. Just look through this particular site as an example and see how many references to road safety or NCAP figures and compare them to the number of threads on which colour suits a particular car best or how to reduce the sound of stone chippings hitting the wheel arches.

• Like 2

Would you have been any different at that age?

I'm no saint but I did say above that I took an interest in improving my driving at an early age when I said I started taking lessons and doing advanced tests at around 18. That was in 1969 or thereabouts.

But wasn't exempt from messing about with cars admittedly.

But I do suspect that the driving classes and tests kept me from driving like a lunatic - especially at that age, when the inclination to think you're as good as Stirling Moss is strong for most young drivers, I think.

Seems like I must keep all rolls of black PVC tape away from the Citigo at all costs. (Well, at a cost of £540 anyway.)