BLT Ticking at Cold/Sporadic

Come home from work Monday night to notice the engine quite ticky when reversing into my spot.. got out of the car and gave it a little revs and the Ticking increased with engine speed..

Tuesday morning - cold start-up, experienced the same.. so took her for a good blast and once warm it disappeared.

Nothing yesterday.. but got to the car today and it's back.

It seems to increase with engine speed - although I can't notice it once into third gear, but that's possibly related to wind noise/engine noise.

Is due a service right now, 5.5k since its last. Any ideas on what I can check?

I've used search and read a few similar topics but no solutions. It could be sticky tappets, Injectors?

Video to follow

Edited by MidWalesVRS

Mines the same, goes away if you floor it even once around the rev range.

Can come and go every few weeks really.

I'll be doing a top end rebuild not that far away so will know more then, i've just put it down to a sticky tappet anyway.

i'll see if mines doing it later when i finish work.

Nah, it doesnt affect anything on mine either, just ticks... my old vrs was the same, it went away when i changed the camshaft, tappets and bearings so can only assume thats what it is!

Will be good to see what other people say also.

I had wondered whether the sporadic vibration that occurred at idle sometimes was due to camshaft wear or the DMF..

Is removal of the Rocker Cover an easy enough job to do? Can get some pictures taken then.

It does have a crap idle, but it's sporadic..

It's been serviced at the correct intervals all its life, covered 62k now.. Always had the correct oil (Skoda dealer) - I now use the Quantum stuff.

Is it a case of inspection and get it sorted sooner rather than later?

Strange, mines not much past 100k so low mileage for these engines, also full dealer service history at Skoda, i wouldn't expect the wear to happen with that sort of milage and history.

Rocker cover off is quite an easy job yeah, just unscrew all the 10mm bolts around the outside of it, the back ones can be awkward but easily removed with the right tools.

FYI my idle is always spot on and smooth.

Strange, mines not much past 100k so low mileage for these engines, also full dealer service history at Skoda, i wouldn't expect the wear to happen with that sort of milage and history.

Rocker cover off is quite an easy job yeah, just unscrew all the 10mm bolts around the outside of it, the back ones can be awkward but easily removed with the right tools.

FYI my idle is always spot on and smooth.

I had resolved to the idle being the DMF as the vibration topics on here seem to indicate. All idle values are normal, so put it down to suspect DMF and was going to wait for clutch to wear out with new turbo and get both DMF and Clutch done in one go.

But possible camshaft wear may point to another cause of a rough idle. Although I would of thought it would remain constant? My occasional vibration only occurs when the engines up to temperature..

Injector loom was another possibility.

It's best to replace Rocker gasket when inspecting isn't it?

I haven't had the bonnet open when this Ticking happens.. it's not likely to be anything DMF related is it - as I've noticed it's rattling a lot more on engine turnoff.

I've had plenty of DMFs rattle like that but as Ross said could well be the buckets,I'd be inclined to check the buckets first for wear

I had something very similar,

Turned out to be the wheel that the aux belt runs off,

It eventually disintegrated and the aux belt came off.

Edited by vRS Joe

I had something very similar,

Turned out to be the wheel that the aux belt runs off,

It eventually disintegrated and the aux belt came off.

This may be the ticket - when I had my Alternator replaced recently it was noted that the pulley would need replacing if it started to become noisy!

Will investigate anyway.

Can only find a Rocker Cover gasket for the ASZ engine code; presume it's the same as BLT?

Edited by MidWalesVRS

https://vimeo.com/166505798

Here we go. You can hear it slightly as the revs die down on this video..

Interestingly. I would accelerate in any gear and then release the accelerator.. the Ticking would be more noticeable now.. When I engaged the clutch though, the Ticking reduced to a stop and was no longer there.. doesn't seem to do the same in reverse?

Can't put my finger on where the noise is coming from when under the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Its hard to tell on the video, just sounds like a diesel :D

I can hear the noise, but only because i know what it sounds like.

I took the video and thought - brill I can hear it.. now it's uploaded I can't notice it? Lol.. ah well.

Rocker cover should be here Tuesday and I'll get it off Wednesday and take some pictures.

Mine sounded similar a few weeks after bought it. Lasted a few weeks then went. Very rarely I get ticking but only for a mile or so.

Was exactly the same noise I got a few times on my old vRS which was fine for 6 years until I sold it.

Edited by stevobeavo

Mine sounded similar a few weeks after bought it. Lasted a few weeks then went. Very rarely I get ticking for a mile or so

Was exactly the same noise I got a few times on my old vRS which was fine for 6 years until I sold it.

I went to see whether my local dealership had a Rocker Cover gasket this morning as it was by the shops! Was without the family, so as it was a nice day, and the main roads were busy - I took the back roads back and had a blast coming back.

Engine sounds sweet now and the Ticking hasn't been present for a few journeys now..

Still going to inspect the cam.. gives me an idea for the future of the condition then.

These cars do put a smile on your face! :)