Who's fitted a GTB1756 ?

In the process of getting all of the bits needed to fit the GTB1756 but two area's I'm still not sure about, would appreciate it if anyone can shed any light on them if you've fitted a GTB1756 to the Fabia VRS, I know it will depend on the exhaust manifold but still interested what people did as I want to and have everything I need here ready rather than getting stuck due to a silicon pipe which could take a couple of days to get delivered.

The turbo outlet is not at such a simple angle as the original turbo, did the strange angle cause you any problems connecting to the intercooler pipework?

Is it actually possible to connect to the intercooler pipework without fouling on the driveshaft or engine block due to the angle of the outlet pipe?

I have measured the turbo outlet pipe diameter at 53mm, all of the silicone pipes seem to be 54mm so I guess 54mm is the correct size? 

What did you use between the outlet pipe and the intercooler pipework? 90 degree angle bend looks like it will be to much and 60 degrees bend not enough? 

Intercooler pipe (Airtec) is 51mm so using two bends I need to go from 54mm to 51mm.

Not had chance to measure it yet but is connecting the air inlet to the turbo just a matter of getting the correct size straight silicone reducer to go between the turbo and inlet pipe? the new turbo inlet is 56mm, what diameter is the original inlet pipe?

Really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me, Thanks

brace yourself, big reply coming up!

The turbo outlet is not at such a simple angle as the original turbo, did the strange angle cause you any problems connecting to the intercooler pipework?

- No, was fine.

Is it actually possible to connect to the intercooler pipework without fouling on the driveshaft or engine block due to the angle of the outlet pipe?

- yes, easily.

I have measured the turbo outlet pipe diameter at 53mm, all of the silicone pipes seem to be 54mm so I guess 54mm is the correct size?

- Yes, that's fine.

What did you use between the outlet pipe and the intercooler pipework? 90 degree angle bend looks like it will be to much and 60 degrees bend not enough?

- 90° bend that came with my airtec kit.

Intercooler pipe (Airtec) is 51mm so using two bends I need to go from 54mm to 51mm.

- I used all the pipework they supplied, didn't change any apart from the TIP (turbo intake pipe)

Not had chance to measure it yet but is connecting the air inlet to the turbo just a matter of getting the correct size straight silicone reducer to go between the turbo and inlet pipe? the new turbo inlet is 56mm, what diameter is the original inlet pipe?

- As above, yeah, I just orderd the correct size reducer, no idea on original.

I wouldn't fit one with the original angle on the outlet,get it cut off and welded back on at 90 degrees like the original turbo outlet,way easier to pipe up and better clearance :)

Does the GTB mate up in the original position and same fitment (three bolts) to the EGR valve as the stock turbo? I have deleted the EGR, just wondering what the fitting will be like.

What is the difference between the 2260 and the 1756, is it the same housing with different internals or is the 2260 bigger overall?

Where is the actuator and stop screw positioned on the 1756 and is it possible to adjust them easily enough once the turbo is all hooked up and bolted in place?

Which bolt hole/alternative is best to fit a bracket for the turbo?

More questions still to come I'm sure :) thanks in advance. Apologies for clutterin your post Duck!

JRJG

As Kev has said - the outlet must be cut off and welded so it is horizontal - it is close to the driveshaft even then if running quite low on coils - must make sure boost hose clamps are well positioned away from potential drive shaft clashes too. 

• Like 1

I have read elsewhere about the pipes being close to the drive shaft on full lock or something? I'll be sure to keep clearance for the entire 'route' of pipes.
Where abouts is the MAP sensor located, and what is the connection like, I have a DS hard pipe kit, I just want to be sure the 'boss' is the correct fitment before I start swapping coolers over.

JRJG

The MAP sensor is located in the top of the original SMIC, when fitting the Airtec the wires to the MAP sensor plug need extending as the new mounting location is about 50-60mm further away on the top hard pipe.

This evening I have taken off the Airtec hose that connects to the turbo and it does fit onto the GTB1756 outlet pipe, its a tight fit but does go on.

I also tried to measure the air inlet pipe where it joins to the turbo, difficult to measure on the car but appeared to be 63mm, would be useful if someone knew for sure as need it off the car to measure accurately.

Edited by duck

The MAP sensor is located in the top of the original SMIC, when fitting the Airtec the wires to the MAP sensor plug need extending as the new mounting location is about 50-60mm further away on the top hard pipe.

Is it best to just use a length of ordinary wire, cut, twist and seal, to lengthen the map sensor then?

I assume the same will be required with a 4 bar map sensor will it?

JRJG

This evening I have taken off the Airtec hose that connects to the turbo and it does fit onto the GTB1756 outlet pipe, its a tight fit but does go on.

I also tried to measure the air inlet pipe where it joins to the turbo, difficult to measure on the car but appeared to be 63mm, would be useful if someone knew for sure as need it off the car to measure accurately.

Sizes are on here somewhere,they are in my work in progress thread for deffo

The MAP sensor wiring that needs extending is part of the car wiring harness so it won't matter what MAP sensor is fitted once you have extended the wires.

I soldered and heat shrink the new connections as they are exposed to the elements and need to be suitably protected.

coskev - I have read your build thread but don't remember seeing the sizes, I will re read the thread when I get a minute, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The MAP sensor wiring that needs extending is part of the car wiring harness so it won't matter what MAP sensor is fitted once you have extended the wires.

I soldered and heat shrink the new connections as they are exposed to the elements and need to be suitably protected.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I see - so it is the wiring previous to the map sensor that I am extending then, not the actual sensor wire itself?

I will have a re read through Coskev's thread, as I seem to remember reading measurements of reducers somewhere...

JRJG

Duck are you planning on fitting a bigger intake pipe? The PD160 would be the obvious choice but the price is ridiculous. Perhaps a S2000 cone filter then faff about with the sensors? Or are you just keeping with the original? I am tempted to fit a larger pipe, perhaps the pd160 size and just cut the 'trumpet' in the slam panel to fit.

JRJG

I already have the PD160 intake pipe, I got it years ago when it was available a bit cheaper than it is now, I have also cut the plastic flap out of the 'trumpet'

I already have the PD160 intake pipe, I got it years ago when it was available a bit cheaper than it is now, I have also cut the plastic flap out of the 'trumpet'

You must of foreseen the price increase then eh!?

I will have a read through the forum as to what cheaper alternatives there are. Consensus seems to be that a pd160 intake is useless for just a remap, however it can improve soot and slightly increase the power once you start plumbing bigger turbos on. So I may have to look at increasing it in some way.

JRJG

• 2 weeks later...

What alternatives are there to the pd160 intake option?

Jabba cone in a box? S2000 filter?

I'm worrying there may be restrictions on the turbo when it comes to mapping time due to the standard air filter and intake. Or should I stop fretting?

JRJG

What alternatives are there to the pd160 intake option?

Jabba cone in a box? S2000 filter?

I'm worrying there may be restrictions on the turbo when it comes to mapping time due to the standard air filter and intake. Or should I stop fretting?

JRJG

Standard filter is proven to 230bhp with the pd160 intake.

Standard filter is proven to 230bhp with the pd160 intake.

I'm only planning on the 220 region. But I still have completely stock intake and air box etc.

Unless you meant to write 'pd130' ??

JRJG

When I was running stock paper filter we did some logs and found that it was restricting air flow.

So I fitted a pipercross panel filter. No idea if that has improved anything tho lol

That was on a gtb1756vk with 2.3bar of boost

Really? I didn't have to anything of the sort when I fitted my Airtec 'cooler :)

When I was running stock paper filter we did some logs and found that it was restricting air flow.

So I fitted a pipercross panel filter. No idea if that has improved anything tho lol

That was on a gtb1756vk with 2.3bar of boost

I see - I will find out before long I suppose. Pipercross Panel filter is £38 from their website. Claims 30% more air flow. I assume you just sit it in place of the paper 'cartridge' and no other changes are needed then?

JRJG

Really? I didn't have to anything of the sort when I fitted my Airtec 'cooler :)

My DS hard pipe kit was fine too. But I have read several threads / project threads where people have had to extend their wiring for the map sensor.

JRJG

I see - I will find out before long I suppose. Pipercross Panel filter is £38 from their website. Claims 30% more air flow. I assume you just sit it in place of the paper 'cartridge' and no other changes are needed then?

JRJG

Quite a few people have run the Pipercross panel and suffered turbo failure from the filter not being filter out small debris. Lots of people now run the s2000 paper cone filter.