Dashcam wiring - Nextbase kit

I phoned mine and told them as my next years quote is due - they said it makes no difference to the quote and won't bring it down but the industry as a whole will take notice of them in the future. Don't know whether I believe that lol.

Looks good!

Sounds like it's working perfectly so don't worry about electrics etc, mine has been running this way for months and no issues. Using the hole for the red wire is perfectly fine aswell.

I think there would be a bit of leeway for fitting a dashcam, it's easily removed after all and is safety oriented.

Usually the warranty would only come in to question if it could be directly proven that fitting a dashcam via the fuse box has caused the problem i.e it won't void the entire warranty on the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just fitted mine following Flash's excellent guide.

Took me about half an hour tops.

Had to fully remove the fuse box right hand screw in order to get the wire through, but it fastened back up no problems.

Hardest part i found was trying to tuck the wire behind the a pillar trim. In some parts its only under the rubber , not the plastic.

All in all though, I've done a pretty professional looking install, with everything taped up neatly.

Time for a cuppa now after all that hard work :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have my dashcam wired exactly the same way. Works good, but..

..It would be much better if camera was powered not only after ignition is being switched on, but let's say then the key is in, or even better then the car is unlocked. I had no luck finding a fuse for this. Anyone tried anything similar?

User's manual says there is an automatic battery discharge protection which shuts down power consumers in the car then the battery gets low on charge, but does not say at what voltage, does anyone know? Just wondering if it let's battery drain a lot before switching off. 

On 07/07/2016 at 07:13, anst11 said:

I have gone for a next base duo dashcam. Ok quality and saves on the installation of two separate cameras.

Bought the hardware kit.

Which exact fuse slot can I use? Any open one? Will my first time opened fuse box look exactly like the first picture?

I have been looking at the duo camera, looks like you are pleased with it, any chance of a picture as I can't quite picture where to mount it so that both cameras can do their job.

11 hours ago, Big Steve said:

I have been looking at the duo camera, looks like you are pleased with it, any chance of a picture as I can't quite picture where to mount it so that both cameras can do their job.

It's ok, I have had some SD card trouble - make sure it's a genuine sd card from maplin not off the internet, however genuine the shop. 

Also lost an SD card down the central heating vents when taking it out once as it's from the underside....keep the flaps downwards when removing sd card - top tip.

the clock doesn't keep to the time, always 1 hour ahead, settings doesn't remember when i change it. 

still for me, it's worth it - havign 2 shots is more peace of mind for me. so many dashcam vids of people being hit in the rear and not actually seeing anything but the front view - doesn't prove anything.

not total HD quality but captures what you need.

attached pics is where I have placed it - i don't find the screen a distraction, I found it hard to hide away and also be able to see and have a view....

strongly recommend hardwiring.

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a Viofo A119 dashcam using TheFlash metod. I used a piggyback fuse with fuse 29 like him and found a ground in the side panel.

The installation took me abou 15-20 minutes and everything seems to be great.

I will try to upload some photos later.

• 2 months later...

Used TheFlash's method to wire in my Nextbase 312GW dashcam and made the job very easy.

Interestingly looking through the images people have posted mad me curious about the legality of where the Cam should be mounted.

Apparently there are very strict guidelines on this, particularly within the sweep of the windscreen wipers and the screen must NOT be viewable by the driver. (I.e. goes blank whilst driving or behind the rear view mirror.)

Dash Cam placement - the law

Better go and move mine and my partners in her Fiat 500. :o

On my Nextbase 312, my screen goes blank after the first 10 secs of starting up.

Think you can alter the time it stays on

Ive got mine just at the side of the rear view mirror (but not on the dotted sunshade) it's out the way and offers the best view IMO.

IMG_0240.JPG

Edited by Damo

I've also black vinyl wrapped over the writing on the camera and the silver ring around the lens, so it's really stealthy from the outside.

You really have to strain to see there is a camera there (not sure if the pic captures it)

I know you can see the suction ring for now, but when I get chance I will be adding a sunstrip 

IMG_0238.JPG

Edited by Damo

1 hour ago, Damo said:

On my Nextbase 312, my screen goes blank after the first 10 secs of starting up.

Think you can alter the time it stays on

Ive got mine just at the side of the rear view mirror (but not on the dotted sunshade) it's out the way and offers the best view IMO.

IMG_0240.JPG

Exactly where mine is

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Curious to know, has anyone managed to use a dash cam on the rear window? And if so, where do they have it wired to? 

Had someone tailgating me today through a 50mph variable limit. The driver was so close to me that they couldn't see what was happening on the road ahead; they obviously thought I was travelling too slowly (despite doing the prescribed 50mph) and then picked their phone up (!) and took a photo of my car. They continued to get closer and all I have is their reg number. Can see why a dash cam would be useful in these circumstances. 

Any thoughts on rearward facing cams would be good! 

14 minutes ago, Octy09 said:

Curious to know, has anyone managed to use a dash cam on the rear window? And if so, where do they have it wired to? 

Had someone tailgating me today through a 50mph variable limit. The driver was so close to me that they couldn't see what was happening on the road ahead; they obviously thought I was travelling too slowly (despite doing the prescribed 50mph) and then picked their phone up (!) and took a photo of my car. They continued to get closer and all I have is their reg number. Can see why a dash cam would be useful in these circumstances. 

Any thoughts on rearward facing cams would be good! 

I'm thinking something like this, the front camara powers the rear on

blackvue-dr650S-2ch-dashcam

1 hour ago, Octy09 said:

A-ha! Interesting, I'll take a look at that. Thanks. 

I'm currently using the same camera set. 

Moved it it from my A6 into the new car.

I also use the BlackVue power magic pro (allows to use the camera in parking mode)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mmobile said:

I'm currently using the same camera set. 

Moved it it from my A6 into the new car.

I also use the BlackVue power magic pro (allows to use the camera in parking mode)

Thanks. Was it easy to install? Can be hard wired in etc?