Up GTI .... will there be a Citigo version ever?

vrskeith

Not sure if that's good news of bad news??

It's good in that the Skoda facelifted version is not too far behind the Up. But not so much as a sniff on news regarding whether the 1.0 Tsi will find it's way into the model. I wonder if Skoda may be content with simply upping the 60ps to 75ps across the range?

Good news if you want an umbrella, bad news if you want a PID?

If Skoda are planning on creating a Citigo vRS then they aren't doing it as part of the facelift, and if they were going to offer only one version of the current engine I would expect them to stick with the 60ps as it's the base specification and most people don't bother to "upgrade" to the 75ps.

• 2 months later...

I popped into my local Skoda dealer yesterday to have a look at a pre-reg car they had up for sale. They had a '17' model year SE in the new Crystal Blue Metallic, It's a cracking colour in the flesh. Other than the tweaked dash-pad and some new fabric finishes, the "facelift" is very subtle indeed.

Apparently the 1.0tsi simply will not fit into the CitiGo. The Up! has had a new front bumper and grill mods done specifically to make room for the new Tsi engine. As the CitiGo has only really had  cosmetic changes it is limited to the 75ps unit until its next incarnation.

• Like 1

So it could have fitted if VW had allowed Skoda to have them to fit, and to change the front bumper and grill as needed.

'Simply Clever', simply a little modifying in a car manufacturing factory.

So it could have fitted if VW had allowed Skoda to have them to fit, and to change the front bumper and grill as needed.

'Simply Clever', simply a little modifying in a car manufacturing factory.

I guess so. I suspect someone, somewhere has decided it wouldn't be appropriate for Skoda to steal Vdubs thunder. I also think that the 1.0Tsi has been available in Brazil for a while so the tooling may well have already been in place.

That said after a "Quick Google" over in Brazil they appear to be able to squeeze it into the old model??? (unless that is the new front end, I can't tell for sure. It has no indicators of the wings?)

Who knows what they were thinking???

Edited by DampDog
  • Like 1

I remember the articles last summer when the 1.0TSI 105 ps was about to be introduced in Brazil, and they ran on ethanol.

Edited by Offski

The Up! for the Brazilian market has always had the larger front end and wind down rear door windows on the 5 door models.

How odd is that?

I would have expected it to be the other way around with the European models having generally higher spec levels. Vdubs penny pinching on spec and quality is bubbling to the surface. A 5dr, 90ps version of the Up is North of £12.4K so not really a budget-buy in anyone's world. They are generally spec'd better than the CitiGo but little cars like the Picanto, & i10 have them beat hands down. 

The Up! for the Brazilian market has always had the larger front end and wind down rear door windows on the 5 door models.

It's also registered for five persons to sit and thus have 5 belts. It's bit longer and has a partly metallic tailgate like Citigo, instead of glass one and does have indicators on side mirrors.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

• 4 weeks later...

The Autocar article was in June & EVO in December. Why the drawing out of this, and why 2018 as a time for it.

Does this mean that sometime in 2017 VW will get around to selling them when VW Dealerships are getting even less potential customers in than they are now.

By 2018 is it not going to be time for a new Up!MiiCitigo replacement not another facelift.

It is lovely that a small hot Hatch is coming, but i do feel that the VW Spin Machine needed a story on a VW that will appear if anyone googles VW just to be sure that 

a article on Audi A3 TDI's might not appear in the first 10 on page 1.

£15,000 in the UK & by 2018 is just a guess as it is what was being spoken about 2 years ago as well.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 02/06/2016 at 16:00, VRS Mike said:

no chance, £15k is a lot of money for an Up!. Could be tempted by a second hand one in a few years though

Top Gear Mag’ is now predicting £14000-00 for the GTI.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Can't see why anyone would buy one over a Fiesta ST ???? 

If running/purchase costs are an issue then a 125ps 1.0 Zetec S is still a better proposition.  

Coz’ it’s a Ford, be walking home... 

47 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

Coz’ it’s a Ford, be walking home... 

Owned 4 Fords.  Owned 4 Skoda's;  sorry but the Fords have been trouble free whereas the Skoda's haven't. 

Wife currently has a Zetec S, great little car.  Almost 3 years old and not a single problem. 

22 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Owned 4 Fords.  Owned 4 Skoda's;  sorry but the Fords have been trouble free whereas the Skoda's haven't. 

Wife currently has a Zetec S, great little car.  Almost 3 years old and not a single problem. 

Other way round for us, parents have had two fords both had problems. Had two Skoda’s and so far no problems. Best car manufacturer I’d say is Honda!! 

Probably many will not buy one over a Fiesta ST, they will lease / rent one, where maybe those buying a Ford ST will buy if a keeper, or as many do rent them as well.

On tick is a wonderful thing for many.