Hit and run

Evening all. Just after some advice on my situation.

On Friday, went to our local supermarket and whilst at the till, we get the dreaded customer service announcement, can the owner of car registration xxx please report to customer service. Upon arrival, I found a man and his daughter there saying they witness a young girl reverse into my car, got out examined my car and hers and just drove off. They took photos of her car etc.

Rear drivers wing dented in and bare metal exposed and rear bumper damaged as well. Trolley attendant called security and they caught it clearly on cctv.

I went to the police station to report it and due to change of shift, I said I call back in the morning., and perhaps she would have the decency to attend the police station and report it.

Next morning I give my details, witness details and cctv available from the supermarket. They will make enquiries and get back to me.

Phone call this afternoon with her details , to say they visited the driver and she's all apologetic and her father wants to know that he is willing to pay cash as she only past her test a week ago. The officer is saying more or less to go down that route rather than go through her insurance.

Be honest I was quite shocked by her comments, so I say she basically gets off a serious traffic offence without any form of legal punishment as bank of mum and dad will bail her out, but i have been done in the past for going over the speed limit slightly and get points and fine, which I accepted.

I told the officer I will think about yet and I inconvenience myself to go to the dealer to get costs of repairs, cist of hiring another car, cancelling my tag for the Severn bridge as I work in Bristol, just so she doesn't get any further upset.

So just looking to know if anyone has been in the situation similar where money has been offered to repair the damage rather than go through the insurance.

Thanks

Richard

Hits a car in a car park, has a look, gets back in car and drives off without reporting?

What'll happen next time?

Yep, could have been a lot worse and someone might get hurt next time, she needs teaching a lesson, I know what I'd do

She might have had a skin full the night before, saving her bacon

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Your daily rate is £1000. Add that to the cost, it's what the insurance co's would do.

I think the observation that she got out, looked, then got back in and drove off... that for me is enough to go formally.

If she'd been clueless to the incident, perhaps bank of dad with the above day rate applied would work.

It's your life not her's, do you have time to chase after your own tail?

• Like 2

So just looking to know if anyone has been in the situation similar where money has been offered to repair the damage rather than go through the insurance.

Thanks

Richard

Yes, old giffer reversed into my VRS, nothing serious but gouged the rear bumper and smashed the reflector.

I went to the body shop I'd used before and got a price and told the old boy to pay him direct. He did and the car was fixed.

In fairness he did leave a note because where I was there is no CCTV or likely to be a witness.

• Like 1

Bloody hell let's incarnate the poor girl...passed her test a week ago has no real idea of the big bad car world and went home messing herself.

Just get hold of the dad as the police have advised and keep it away from the insurance if he is genuine and pays.

Go all official and have a non at fault accident/claim against your own insurance.

Give a break, she is probably only 18 or so!

Thank him upstairs there were decent witnesses otherwise it would of been a total loss :(

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 2

Going through insurance will put a non fault claim on your insurance. This is likely to increase your premium.

In my case it DOUBLED!

Take the cash and don't involve insurance IMO, will be less hassle for all involved.

Fingers crossed the old chap is genuine

• Like 1

All else aside, bravo to the folk who came in to the shop to report it on to you  :clap:

• Like 4

Remember that officially you're supposed to answer questions asked by insurance companies truthfully.  Last time I rang around for insurance (a month ago) I was very clearly asked whether myself or any named drive had been involved in any accident whether reported or not.

As for non-fault claims.  I've got 2 in the last 5 years and my insurance for the vRS was £180 this year for 15k miles (I'm 32 and male).

My Grandad did exactly the same a while ago (reversed into someone's car and s*dded off) the police tracked him down but did nothing either - too much paperwork to be ar*d I'd guess...  Guess who just did the same thing again the other day ..... 

I would say stick with the insurance company, although with a hire car etc to cover the time whilst your car is getting repaired the bill for mum/dad could be pretty high anyway especially if you need a 4x4 auto (nice Range Rover would do;)).

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 1

Urgh, I was involved in a hit and run a while back, the bloke was found after I searched long and hard for his sign written van, annoyingly the police didnt charge him either.

I'm sorry but I have very little sympathy for anyone who leaves the scene of an accident, irrespective of how long they've been driving, it's knowing the difference between right and wrong, my 6 year old cousin knows if you damage something you own up, let alone an adult. 

• Like 3

I would go the insurance route,hire car provided,your own car repaired and covered by the garage,let your insurance company do all the work that's what you pay them for and remember if she could have got away with the damage she would have as she left no note on your car with contact details and be very thankful to the witness for coming to your aid,without them helping you this could have turned out very costly for you.

• Like 1

If they're offering to just pay then go for it! It will be the least stressful route to go in the long run.

Get a quote and get them to pay UP FRONT then book your car in the for the work.

Going down the insurance route can really mess you around... then the next they you know they start disputing it with the insurance company etc.

Seriously just get them to pay, get your car fixed and move on.

Think she will get a grilling from mum and dad once the bill comes in anyway!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, sorry but the delay in getting back sooner. Since Sunday evening I been admitted to hospital for tests pending a heart transplant. So its been a stressful few days. I decided to go down the insurance route as I unable to get out to obtain the quotes I needed. For myself it's easier to let the insurance company deal with it and my missus has been back in touch with the police saying we ain't interested in getting her parents to pay for it, as she has enough on her plate to deal with, so they are going to issue a TOR document to the owner

Thanks for your replies and advice, but due to the current situation I have to put my welfare first, rather than trying to make things easier for her. Hopefully she will learn from this

Thanks Richard

• Like 1

Fair enough.

You have to think what's best for you in this instance. Perhaps if she'd done the decent thing and left her details you may have been more inclined to just let them pay but if that impacts further on your health then it's not worth it.

Hope you're back on your feet with a repaired car and new heart asap!

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 3

It's a sad state of affairs when the Police can't be bothered/to much paperwork or hassle to get involved. I run a large fleet of vehicles and the amount of times this happens is disgraceful IMO. Nothing worse than getting details of the vehicle, or even just the area time etc. and they won't look into it.

In your instance your health comes first so you must do what works for you. Hope you get it repaired soon and get yourself well again!

• Like 2

I think in the circumstances you've done the right thing. It's always a bit of a risk to do anything other than insurance, even thought he practices of the insurance companies are what drive it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, sorry but the delay in getting back sooner. Since Sunday evening I been admitted to hospital for tests pending a heart transplant. So its been a stressful few days. I decided to go down the insurance route as I unable to get out to obtain the quotes I needed. For myself it's easier to let the insurance company deal with it and my missus has been back in touch with the police saying we ain't interested in getting her parents to pay for it, as she has enough on her plate to deal with, so they are going to issue a TOR document to the owner

Thanks for your replies and advice, but due to the current situation I have to put my welfare first, rather than trying to make things easier for her. Hopefully she will learn from this

Thanks Richard

I'd get a formal complaint in as as much as you feel for her, she didn't come forward herself.  The law's quite clear on driving away from an accident.

• 4 weeks later...

2 weeks after passing my test I reversed into a fence damage to my rear light only. Very next day my wing mirrors broke a van rear light unit.

Called the number on the van, explained what happens and the guy was good as gold, told me not to worry. Came home ordered a new unit and went and sorted it for him when it arrived.

Actually thanked me for calling him