Replace Columbus with Skoda sound system?!

Hi.

I've just installed the 8" android head unit from joying.

Everything works fine, except of that I have no sound at all in my sound system. The speakers are completely dead. Is the sound system amp turned on by Canbus?

Everything works fine, with climate etc etc. Is there anything I can do to make this work?? Please answer asap. My dashboard is in pieces now :/

I don't think any after market system support the factory amps as they need CAN bus commands to turn on and change DSP etc.

You'll either need to replace the amp for an aftermarket one or rewire the speaker outputs as not to pass through the amp.

I'm sure one member used an old headunit in a plastic tub to turn the factory amp on for an aftermarket HU. Was a bit of a hack though, I'll see if I can find it later.

Thank u sir... Its a canbus box on harness of the player... But it must be a harness that can turn on the sound system via canbus?

This is some info about a harness ive found:

"The RP4-VW11 interface allows the replacement of a factory radio in select Volkswagen vehicles with LSFT-CAN databus radios. Using this interface will retain factory features such as steering wheel controls (SWC) and the factory Volkswagen amplifier whenever the original radio is removed. Use of this interface also allows you to program two radio functions to each SWC button by using short press long press dual command functionality. The RP4-VW11 also provides data bus driven outputs such as retained accessory power (RAP), vehicle speed sensor (VSS), illumination, reverse trigger and parking brake."

Edited by LasseTheDude

Hello. First post. Long time lurker.

I am in the same situatiion. Trying to upgrade my headunit.

Its a MY14 Superb with the 10 speaker system.

I hadn't had able to find a specific can adapter for the skoda amplifier.

However I found some successes stories with the Dynaudio or Fender systems. So there is some hope there.

I had check with the vagcom cable and interesting enough the system is coded as a "Vw premium audio" not a skoda audio. However there are other specific coding for Fender and for Dynaudio, adding to the uncertainty about what is different in each system.

I had saw as well the RP4-VW11, but I need some reassurance that i could work or be able to return it., as is a American product, they will not have a clue about Skodas and of top of that customs will make things more difficult as that money will be lost in case nothing works.

My other option is the connects2 interface, there is one specifically for the Fender audio. I'm tempted to get one as well and try it on the car and see what happens. There are local suppliers, so returns should he straightforward.

But first step, I would try to code the existing RNS with the fender audio coding and see what happens.

Other concern is the audio input levels, the connector should be rewired to let the line level outputs, not the speaker level output.

So, long short. I believe there is no tested solution (i do really what to be proven wrong), that works with our integrated amplifier.

Edited by timerider

Update today.

Tried all the different codings available to the RNS510. And the only coding that worked is the original coding. Nor Dynaudio or Fender activated the amplifier properly.

Fender coding was rejected by the RNS. So still is unknown if is a viable workaround. 

Open to suggestions. But seems pretty bad that there is no way to use a 3rd party head unit on a Skoda with the Premium sound...

Open to suggestions. But seems pretty bad that there is no way to use a 3rd party head unit on a Skoda with the Premium sound...

There is, if you want to use a 3rd party head unit, you'll need to remove the factory amp completely and either fit a 3rd party amp or bridge the connections to allow the new head unit directly power the speakers. ;)

Ideally, you need a 3rd party head unit manufacturer to reverse engineer the commands sent to the factory amp. They have already done this for OPS and plenty of other CAN messages so if the demand is there, I'd expect them to sort it pretty quickly.

You have to remember, the factory amp isn't just an amp. It also has a DSP built in and is controllable via the head unit making this much more complex.

Removing the factory amp is something that I had researched as well, more like bypassing it, but I wasnt able to find a ready made harness.

My key requirement its that evething should be reversible. Things change and I don't what to permanent changes :)

To add to the complexity there is several oem amplifiers, so it not clear if there any other harness available that could be compatible with our dear Skoda.

Used to be the case that cars were fitted with rubbish stereo (or none at all - yes, I am that old!) and upgrading was easy and straightforward.

These days they still fit rubbish stereos and make it damn hard to upgrade. That's progress.

Probably the riskiest thing I ever did was flashing - literally - the earth on an original mini from positive to negative for a Pye cassette player.

Removing the factory amp is something that I had researched as well, more like bypassing it, but I wasnt able to find a ready made harness.

My key requirement its that evething should be reversible. Things change and I don't what to permanent changes :)

This is an interesting thread: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/mobile-electronics/315415-my-stereo-install-w-custom-monsoon-harness-adapter.html

Looks like they took a scrap factory amp and removed it's connector. Once you have that you can either wire the four inputs from the headunit to all the appropriate tweakers/mids/woofers or even make a converter for an aftermarket amp.

Only bonus points would be running a new remote wire from the hu to the aftermarket amp. Everything should be completely reversable as you'd unplug your adapter and plug the original map back in when done :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi.

I've just installed the 8" android head unit from joying.

Everything works fine, except of that I have no sound at all in my sound system. The speakers are completely dead. Is the sound system amp turned on by Canbus?

Everything works fine, with climate etc etc. Is there anything I can do to make this work?? Please answer asap. My dashboard is in pieces now :/

Hi, i had the same problem with my Skoda Superb 2012 with 10 channel  DSP Sound System but i found a very easy way to solve the problem.

1) disconnect the old Head Unit (in my case was an OEM Bolero unit)

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

3) connect the new aftermarket Head Unit

4) connect the battery

After this the amplifier goes in a special mode were is activated by the key-on can-bus message and deactivated by the key-off can-bus message and doesn’t need the activation message sent by the original head unit.

I have tested this on my Skoda Superb 2012 with 12 channel DSP Sound System and it works!

Max

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2016 at 20:07, mspider65 said:

Hi, i had the same problem with my Skoda Superb 2012 with 10 channel  DSP Sound System but i found a very easy way to solve the problem.

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

4) connect the battery

After this the amplifier goes in a special mode were is activated by the key-on can-bus message and deactivated by the key-off can-bus message and doesn’t need the activation message sent by the original head unit.

I have tested this on my Skoda Superb 2012 with 12 channel DSP Sound System and it works!

Max

This worked on a facelift Octy 2 - was able to make the amp work with an aftermarket radio (but did not sound as good as stock bolero radio)

This did not work for the older type of amplifier seen in the Octavia II pre FL.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

There is no need to code.

Did you follow the procedure shared in previous posts?

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

4) connect the battery

This does work and you can install any after market radio as long the wiring is done properly.

5 hours ago, makky1984 said:

can you help me with VCDS coding?

Add an autoscan so we can see how everything is configured and any fault codes that are stored.

4 hours ago, timerider said:

2) disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes (just the minus pole is enough)

4) connect the battery

This does work and you can install any after market radio as long the wiring is done properly.

They aren't fitting an aftermarket headunit, they are fitting a Bolero which is a Skoda headunit.

4 hours ago, langers2k said:

They aren't fitting an aftermarket headunit, they are fitting a Bolero which is a Skoda headunit.

Indeed. I Missed. that.

Then yes. is a Coding Issue.

I am not familiar with the Bolero unit.  But there will be the coding for the "Sound System"

This is a good starting point.

https://www.my-gti.com/1411/volkswagen-rns-510-coding-when-installing-with-a-factory-amplifier

On 5/18/2018 at 15:29, langers2k said:

Add an autoscan so we can see how everything is configured and any fault codes that are stored.

please check the attached pic. 

Error1.jpg

Error2.jpg

Run an Autoscan, save the details, post the full autoscan text. Pictures of a screen showing a fault code mean nothing at all.

If you still have the original head unit, it would also be great to reinstall it, run a full autoscan, and post that text here.

• 7 months later...
On 18/05/2018 at 07:36, timerider said:

4) connect the battery

yes but if is aftermarket eu hu navigation this step is not working 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 16:37, mspider65 said:

4) connect the battery

Max

This works fine also with Yeti pre facelift 2009 bolero with 12 speaker sound system.

• 5 months later...

have you guys with rcd330 have working voice guiding in navigation apps with carplay? 

i have basic sound system (10ch panasonic amp under driver seat) did coding with vcds -> sound is working but when using maps, tomtom go or google maps it fades the music correctly but i cannot hear any voice guides its just silent. After music comes back balance is shifted to passenger side so its sounding weaker in driver side. Can be fixed by changing to radio side or asking something from siri. Tried to disconnect battery for 20min but didnt help, tried with iphone se, iphone 7, iphone 6s same problem with every phone. Also adjusted volume when it should give guides and increased my navi/app volume to max but no luck. 

should this work with rcd330?