Adblue Issue

On 07/01/2017 at 20:07, GrahamGM said:

Seriously considered it but couldn't bear the extra visits to the fuel pump!

I would have but I tow a little coachman caravan and with the max torque coming in so high up the rev band it's like driving a two stroke which is all or nothing ,I suppose I'm used to the psa Peugeot lump which pulls from a low rpm .

Hello all

my uncle is planning to get some years old car most probably with adblue system. On the internet i did not found the answer. 

Is that adblue system could have the same fullness problem (or how to call it) like the DPF system, if the car is used more often  in the city?

More likely with the TDI with Ad-Blue the main issue will be high fuel consumption in the city.

Maybe worth giving one a miss.

My Alhambra gets about 10 miles to 12 miles to a litre of diesel on runs. 45-54 mpg.

Used in towns or cities short 5-10 miles use is about 5 miles for a litre. 25 mpg.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, Juhagpl said:

Hello all

my uncle is planning to get some years old car most probably with adblue system. On the internet i did not found the answer. 

Is that adblue system could have the same fullness problem (or how to call it) like the DPF system, if the car is used more often  in the city?

Hi the car is used every day and normally goes on the motorway and we pull a caravan as well which makes no difference to when the problem accurs .

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, just posting my experience in case it helps anyone.

My Skoda Superb (2015-Mk3 L&K 2.0 190PS DSG) developed this fault on my way home last Friday. I think I last topped up the AdBlue with about 6 litres in December and should have had at least 5000 miles to go. Suddenly the alert came on stating I had only 600 miles left. I had about 4 litres left at home so I topped up some more but it didn't register at all on the system. Started to panic because I had a couple of long journeys over the weekend. I took the car to my nearest Skoda dealer and they said it might have been me topping up with small amounts (but then why would it take 4 weeks to show up as an error??). I left the car with them yesterday and they drained the system off then ran it through some tests for an hour. I'm glad to say that so far everything is working perfectly, the work was done for free including the Adblue and a free car wash! All I need to worry about now is what to do in 8000 miles time (probably will fill it with a minimum of 10 litres)

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if the car will actually refuse to start after it has reached 0KM/Miles? I have this issue and have a time booked for Thursday but need to use the car before that, it is showing 90km to go but it seems to decrease at a much faster rate then I have realistically driven. Will it go to some sort of limp mode or refuse to start at all?

According to the manual, it will refuse to start, once the countdown has reached 0.

It will still continue to run, but once that engine turns off, it's not firing up again until it's had its Adblue dose (and at that point it might also want a service of the DPF and Christ know what else).

S.

• Like 1

Puuriit,

Why risk it?   Put at least a couple of litre of Ad-blue in and even though it might want more, that should see you OK.

24 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Puuriit,

Why risk it?   Put at least a couple of litre of Ad-blue in and even though it might want more, that should see you OK.

The tank is full, Adblue system developed an error two weeks ago and in the first visit the dealership blamed cold weather (we had around -20C) since it didnt show any faults. Took it to a warm garage but the error is still there and now I am going in for the second time since the fault is still present. They still have no clue what to do with it...so it will be interesting

When the error occured for the first time I immediately filled it with Adblue, took about 6 liters until the pump stopped. I tried to refill today and see if it had consumed anything and it had, took additional 0,7 liters so it seems to be working but something is wrong with the measuring system (my wild guess). 

Edited by Puuriit
  • Like 1

Appears to be not un-common now.  Just appears that Skoda do not have much in the way of a clue how to help Technicians fix things.

All the best with it.

Call Skoda Assist out? I believe the dealer they take it to has to look at it within 48 hours, and of particular importance in your case - they have to provide a hire/courtesy car for this period FOC.

Made it to the dealership with 20km left. Apparently, there was nothing wrong...the system needed recalibration - it didn't understand that there was enough AdBlue in the tank. They did not know how or why it developed the error. One thing they said is that the system should never be fully filled with the pump - you should only fill the quantity it is asking (suggested quantity).

Following this closely, I had the adblue error 650 miles until engine stop message last week. Added 10lts of adblue (vehicle said 1.5 to 2 gallons) which didn't reach the filler neck. Took it to the dealers and got charged 120 quid to drain 5 ltrs out of the tank! They have told me that I overfilled it causing the issue! On top of that they also damaged my rear bumper and attempted to cover it with filler! Long battle ahead to get my car fixed andy money back. And to top it off today the front park assist had packed up so it has to go back again! Losing the will to live with this car! 

Oh and the dealer told me that the superb has to be filled at the dealership on a computer, not to be filled by the user! Which they are happy to do at £1.50 a litre! 

Edited by Chrisd928
Forgot to add last bit of info

The overfilling causes an issue because the fill level is measured with an ultrasonic sensor - it needs an air gap between the sensor and the fluid level to operate. Why they chose this method - no idea.

The cost sounds about right - my dealer wanted 2 hours labour at 105 quid an hour. Turns out the issue with my car was that the ECU has soiled itself which took 8 weeks to locate and diagnose so whilst I was without the car for 8 weeks, meant I didn't get charged anything to correct the issue of me overfilling it, as the ECU claimed the tank was empty when it still had 5 or 6 litres within it. Not my fault when I added 1.5 gallons, as instructed and it over-filled.

The "must be filled by the dealership" bit is horseshít though - my dealer said they were happy to fill it for me, free of charge and only charge the cost of the Adblue, which I think they said was about 90p ler litre. Still more than you can fill up for at the pump but less hassle if it screws up. Your manual even gives you instructions on how to top up, how to reset the level after topping up and so forth - if it's a "dealer only" that wouldn't be in the manual. What's next - dealer only wash-wipe top-ups?

That last bit really gets my goat up to be honest - it's bad enough that there's this ridiculous situation of being able to "overfill" what is nothing more than a fluid tank and land yourself with a bill to "correct" the issue but to tell customers that they should bring the car in for the privilege of having someone pour several litres of liquid to a tube... 

If it was Dealer only it would be illegal in the EU.  

& as it is the people at a dealership are going to be in bother for the corrupt practice of telling that to customers.

So as well to name the Dealership, and Skoda UK can deal with them, and UK Trading Standards as well.

Edited by AwaoffSki

15 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

If it was Dealer only it would be illegal in the EU.  

& as it is the people at a dealership are going to be in bother for the corrupt practice of telling that to customers.

So as well to name the Dealership, and Skoda UK can deal with them, and UK Trading Standards as well.

So far that's where I'm at, in talks with skoda UK to get my money back and get the car fixed, have had 18 months of ownership and 18 months of problems related to computer systems. On top of this they also damaged my bumper and tried to fill it in hoping I wouldn't notice and then got shirty with me when I pointed it out to them. Really do love the car, when it works, unfortunately that seems to be a rarity. 

27 minutes ago, Mindbomb said:

The overfilling causes an issue because the fill level is measured with an ultrasonic sensor - it needs an air gap between the sensor and the fluid level to operate. Why they chose this method - no idea.

The cost sounds about right - my dealer wanted 2 hours labour at 105 quid an hour. Turns out the issue with my car was that the ECU has soiled itself which took 8 weeks to locate and diagnose so whilst I was without the car for 8 weeks, meant I didn't get charged anything to correct the issue of me overfilling it, as the ECU claimed the tank was empty when it still had 5 or 6 litres within it. Not my fault when I added 1.5 gallons, as instructed and it over-filled.

The "must be filled by the dealership" bit is horseshít though - my dealer said they were happy to fill it for me, free of charge and only charge the cost of the Adblue, which I think they said was about 90p ler litre. Still more than you can fill up for at the pump but less hassle if it screws up. Your manual even gives you instructions on how to top up, how to reset the level after topping up and so forth - if it's a "dealer only" that wouldn't be in the manual. What's next - dealer only wash-wipe top-ups?

That last bit really gets my goat up to be honest - it's bad enough that there's this ridiculous situation of being able to "overfill" what is nothing more than a fluid tank and land yourself with a bill to "correct" the issue but to tell customers that they should bring the car in for the privilege of having someone pour several litres of liquid to a tube... 

And yes, I agree I simply did what the car told me to do (admittedly I put in 2.2 gallons not 2)

12 minutes ago, Chrisd928 said:

And yes, I agree I simply did what the car told me to do (admittedly I put in 2.2 gallons not 2)

For info, the tank is 13 litres when full, which is 2.8 imperial gallons.

If you brim it to the filler-cap, as I ended up doing, that should be 15 litres. I managed to get 9 litres in to completely fill it meaning when the car was telling me it was shutting down in 600 miles, it still had 6 litres in the tank, which is about half full. I knew at that point there was something amiss and and 8 weeks later, after changing an exhaust sensor, the adblue tank and sensor, a manifold sensor and doing 400 miles in test drives, it ended up in a replacement ECU which (so far) has been faultless...

... OK - I have the issue with the headlights not always levelling but there's a patch for that which the car will get at it first service, which is due now, but we'll gloss over that! :)

Accidents do happen, and it's unfortunate that they damaged your car, but to try to cover it up is inexcusable. When you pointed it out was there any attempt to deny it was their fault or did they cough up for it immediately?

4 minutes ago, Mindbomb said:

For info, the tank is 13 litres when full, which is 2.8 imperial gallons.

If you brim it to the filler-cap, as I ended up doing, that should be 15 litres. I managed to get 9 litres in to completely fill it meaning when the car was telling me it was shutting down in 600 miles, it still had 6 litres in the tank, which is about half full. I knew at that point there was something amiss and and 8 weeks later, after changing an exhaust sensor, the adblue tank and sensor, a manifold sensor and doing 400 miles in test drives, it ended up in a replacement ECU which (so far) has been faultless...

... OK - I have the issue with the headlights not always levelling but there's a patch for that which the car will get at it first service, which is due now, but we'll gloss over that! :)

Accidents do happen, and it's unfortunate that they damaged your car, but to try to cover it up is inexcusable. When you pointed it out was there any attempt to deny it was their fault or did they cough up for it immediately?

I have the feeling that the ecu has been a t fault for a long time, we have had continuous electrical system failures and dealer visits. No when I pointed out the damage, they said they would check the cctv, when they had the car it was inspected by their people and the job card showed no damage. The damage had been filled(badly) and when I pointed Ted it out to them they got shirty and denied it. Currently battling with skoda UK to get things resolved. 

IMG_20180302_104908.jpg

That's pretty poor, and that's me in my most diplomatic mode.

Looks like it's been backed into a metal security post or something... I'm sad to say that it's almost at the stage where before you take your vehicle into a dealership, you have to go around it with a video camera / phone and film the car as you walk around it.

To get back on topic somewhat, after changing all of the parts of the adblue system for new kit, the dealership plugged the car into the net and requested that the Skoda Mothership checked it all out. They could find no diagnostics which failed, no error codes, no flaky signals, nothing untoward at all. Other than their own employees saying "No really, it doesn't work -  we've done 400 miles trying to reset the Adblue system and it just won't take it", it would have been declared to be absolutely fine.

Anyway, a new ECU was sent out (no idea what that would have cost me if I'd had to buy it) and as soon as it was plugged in, the "reset" applied immediately and everything was fine. However, other than the car insisting it was out of Adblue when it was still half full, everything else I could detect worked without any issue. If it hadn't been for the large "600 miles before death" message on the dash, I'd have no idea anything at all was wrong.

Have you pulled any of the codes from the OBD interface when you've had this litany of issues?