Adblue Issue

We went out for the day in the Superb on Saturday, before we set off home I was scrolling through the driving data on the maxidot, and the predicted Adblue range was 3000 miles. However, 90 miles later, I got a warning beep saying something along the lines of 'Engine stop in 650 miles - Adblue refill'. Thought it had used the remaining adblue rather quickly, error still there Sunday morning at home so took the car to the local adblue pump and filled it up - it took 11 litres. However - despite following the instructions in the manual about switching the ignition on without starting for 30 seconds to allow the refill to be recognised, I am still getting the warning - in fact it has now dropped to 600 miles. Anybody else out there had the same issue??

• Like 1

I had something similar with the oil on my C Class. Turns out a critter had chewed though some cables and the oil level sensor wasn't connected.

Was in Germany at the time, so with much gesticulating and pointing they were able to fix it. Relieving me of €40.

I had the exact same issue with the Yeti, ended up they had to replace the entire Adblue system !!!

Better in warranty than out of it I suppose... Doesn't bode well for (yet another) complex emissions system bolted onto previously simple and reliable diesel engines, though. :(

• Like 3

VAG are aware of the problem and the solution, but they have failed to share that information with Skoda! My case had to be escalated all the way back to the factory!!

If your dealership are having problems tell them to contact Karl in servicing at Mitchell Skoda.

• Like 2

Well - it wasn't just a reset of the system that was required.

The dealers have had to send a tech request off to Skoda. The technician told me there is a known issue, but it was not being helped by the fact that the system was showing as being over capacity by 2 litres - when I filled it I just kept going until the pump knocked off.

So I have a Rapid as a courtesy car in the meantime!! 

Well - it wasn't just a reset of the system that was required.

The dealers have had to send a tech request off to Skoda. The technician told me there is a known issue, but it was not being helped by the fact that the system was showing as being over capacity by 2 litres - when I filled it I just kept going until the pump knocked off.

So I have a Rapid as a courtesy car in the meantime!!

I demanded a 'like for like', at least they've admitted its a known issue but mine was weeks to resolve not days!

I demanded a 'like for like', at least they've admitted its a known issue but mine was weeks to resolve not days!

Ouch - I'm hoping they solve mine pretty quickly - we are booked to go away with the caravan next week!

Can't see them having a car with a tow bar available!!

• Like 1

We went out for the day in the Superb on Saturday, before we set off home I was scrolling through the driving data on the maxidot, and the predicted Adblue range was 3000 miles. However, 90 miles later, I got a warning beep saying something along the lines of 'Engine stop in 650 miles - Adblue refill'. Thought it had used the remaining adblue rather quickly, error still there Sunday morning at home so took the car to the local adblue pump and filled it up - it took 11 litres. However - despite following the instructions in the manual about switching the ignition on without starting for 30 seconds to allow the refill to be recognised, I am still getting the warning - in fact it has now dropped to 600 miles. Anybody else out there had the same issue??

I have a simmilar issue. The car is on it's third day at the dealer right now. Seems like the adblue-system is a cluster****.

• Like 1

Update from the dealer - they are waiting for a special tool - a vacuum box - to drain the system. They have no idea when the tool will arrive.

Update from the dealer - they are waiting for a special tool - a vacuum box - to drain the system. They have no idea when the tool will arrive.

Yep, all sounding very familiar !!

Going over to a petrol engine sounds like a good choice.

NOX emissions regulation will get stiffer in the future. Where do VWG go then?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well - got my car back yesterday, all fixed. Apparently it has taken 4 or 5 attempts to get the tech bulletins from Skoda, and get the software updated and some sensors reset - and fingers crossed all seems well so far 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Forgot to come back to this issue.  

It was fixed after several attempts. Turned out there was an (non critical)error message from an unrelated engine-pump that had to be cleared before the ad-blue system would consider resetting.* 

A couple of days later it asked for more adblue. My driver topped it off with 1.5 liters(all it would take) but the message did not go away and the car had to go back to the dealer. It went quicker that time, but this time they had to remove 1.5 liters of ad-blue in the system(?) and do a simple reset. 

I guess they had been in contact with someone with better knowledge about the system. They advised me to never fill ad-blue unless the car asks for it. When it asks for the ad-blue, it should be filled up** (no half/partial filling) and then you do the reset thing where you turn on the car without the engine and wait for 1/2 min for a confirmation message.

Apparently it might first have started because my driver who was used to the system Mercedes uses, where there is no gauge(only a dipstick) and important to keep the ad-blue topped off at all times. When he started driving for me, the car had been in service for about 3 months by another driver who had never topped up the ad-blue, apparently this is the right way to do it with VAG's system.

*My take from this is that one might be careful about buying a used Superb with ad-blue if the system is so sensitive and everything have to be in working order at all times. Might be some beginner errors from the workshop. But I would think twice about buying a clunker where everything in the engine have to be top-notch or the car might refuse to start one day.

**Be advised that some diesel pumps also have an ad-blue pump. It's a LOT cheaper than buying it bottled from a car-supply shop (1/2 price of diesel vs £10-15 for a couple of liters). There is an added bonus of not having to worry about where you put your ad-blue the last time you topped it up.

Not all pumps have ad-blue, if it's not at your local station, look for a station that cater to trucks/lorries. Know where you can fill it before you need it to reduce stress. If you live in a rural area with no ad-blue stations, you should buy a 10L bottle on-line or from a shop dealing with tractors and such, should set you back about £10.

Other stuff about ad-blue:

In earlier models of cars/trucks pure water could be used instead of ad-blue, it would not reduce emissions, but the system would not detect the difference and the water should not do any damage. This lead to some new regulations for engines with ad-blue. In the Superb it does some checks to verify that it's ad-blue, I think this is the root of the hassle with not being able to just top up as you go.

Ad-blue is highly corrosive, so clean if of with water (water soluble, it's basically synthetic urine) if you get spill when filling the tank.

Ad-blue apparently "creeps", so if you spill it close to something that can rust, you should still clean it off as it will move along any surface.

Both the last points mean that you really dont want a leaking ad-blue system.

Edit: Some weird wording. ;-)

Edited by Malawi

• 2 months later...

If it says 2 Gallons Max and that is Imperial Gallons that is under 10 litres so what do you mean '10L just about did it'?  you put in more than 2 gallons.

Edited by Offski

I've filled up twice. First time was when the warning first came on, said it needed 2 to 5 litres. Bought a 2.5 litre forecourt pack in Germany (much more geared up for this, sold just like washer additive), filled up with can, on my way, warning light off. This time I left it, until it said 2000 miles remaining and wanted 1 to 2 gallons. Bought a 20 litre container from eBay (£19.99 delivered with a screw on 'funnel') and filled with about half. Again warning has gone off. Hands up, didn't read the manual, didn't wait the 30 seconds...had no issues whatsoever.