Adblue Issue

Dealer can't fix before the middle of next week, but.............after 100 miles the warning has gone and AdBlue range is now 4,000 miles! The fill up max has also changed to 1.25Gals max as well.

I did notice that a little yellow DEF bottle symbol illuminated randomly in the MaxiDot display, almost as if it was telling me it was trying to draw fluid.but not succeeding. Then it all cleared. Given others experiences I would guess - and it is a pure guess - an airlock or similar caused the problem and once the pump had enough goes it self cleared?

I'll talk to the Dealer again tomorrow, however if their techs are as clueless as other makes, if the fault is no longer present they won't have enough info from the computer fault analysis to fix it. Just have to monitor it I suppose. I'm sort of relieved and not, at the same time as I know it will fail again at exactly the wrong time (like Xmas) when no one is about who can sort it. :-(

Thanks for the input though.

A stupid question - does the adBlue car still has DPF?If yes, does the additive help regeneration cycles - like less of those, or at longer intervals?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Yes - I still have a DPF on my car with AdBlue. My understanding is that the Adblue works in the catalytic converter to reduce the Nox emissions, whereas the DPF works to reduce/eliminate the particles (soot) emitted from the engine. So it will have no effect on the DPF regen cycle

• Like 1

As above. AdBlue, or Diesel Exhaust Fluid, is used in vehicles equipped with DPFs and Selective Catalyic Reduction systems. If the DEF system fails then the engine will not start.

Having spoken to the Dealer they don't want the car if it has cleared as they don't think enough detail is stored to help track it down. What they did say was if it happens again call Škoda Assistance out as they should have a diagnostic system in their vehicle and can therefore identify what is not working correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

My problem isn't quite the same but probably related. I purchased the car with 6000 miles on the clock and the AdBlue range was 5500 miles. I've done nearly 3000 miles since then and the AdBlue range is ...... 5500 miles. Absolutely no change. It also shows the minimum top up up is 0.75l and the maximum top up is .... 0.75l. It goes into the dealer next week. The car was built September 2015 so I don't know if others with the problem were built around the same time. Will try and post when I get it back from the dealer.

I have a new SEAT 2.0 TDI and the Ad-Blue Range was 7,000 miles until i had covered 1,500 miles and then it went to 6,500 mile range.

450 miles later (1,950 miles) the Adblue range is 6,500 miles.

Well I've got it back from the dealer. The day before taking it in the addblue range came down from 5500 to 5000 and it started to show how much for min and max top - up. Discussed this with service and agreed not to investigate as it seems to be ok. They have met one other Superb where the person filling the addblue didn't take any notice of the amount recommended and just kept adding until he couldn't get any more in. It seems to be that the tank holds more than the limit of the sensor - if there's liquid at the max sensor level then that is all that is recorded. When you've used enough to go below the max sensor then things return to normal. Phew, that's put that one to bed.

Now whilst I was there and as they were expecting the car in they did a "campaign" update. It seems there is a problem with the door seals. Some need re-glueing apparently. Anyway got the car back with everything done, washed and hoovered with no cost. A good day in Skodaworld!

I have a new SEAT 2.0 TDI and the Ad-Blue Range was 7,000 miles until i had covered 1,500 miles and then it went to 6,500 mile range.

450 miles later (1,950 miles) the Adblue range is 6,500 miles.

It's possible the figure the car is giving you is changing because you're driving the car in a way that allows it to cut most of it's NOx emissions through EGR without making much use of SCR. Not using full power on the engine very often and less stop/start driving should give the SCR system a quiet life.

I'm also admiring the Jimni in your avatar :D. What do you think of the Jimni for the odd daily drive with off roading on the weekends? After test driving one a friend had a couple of months ago I've been thinking of getting one to go playing on the mountain trails around here... Anything to watch for/walk away from on second hand in 1.3 litre petrol models from early to mid 2000s? Any essential upgrades for offroading? I would have sent you a message, but messaging seems to be disabled on your account.

2,400 miles now covered and Ad-Blue range showing 6,500 range (Min Max top up .75 gallons)

Driving is not short journeys.

I also have a 2003 Jimny Auto i bought new, standard other than 2" lift springs & big wheels tyres and done 45,000 miles.

Needed welding at the body mounts this year. 

A new Cat 2 years ago. Nothing else much in 13 years, rear dampers, front bearings, discs & pads. 

Rust in the chassis and on the body near the mounts to the chassis is the issue to look for.

So many different engines, 1298, 1328 cc, 8 or 16 valve,

an Auto worth getting and the manual change transfer box not a push button one.

A standard one will go  most places (& get back).  There is an old thread in general car chat.

KAP Suzuki built the Orange Pickup for me 7 or 8 years ago.

http://kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk

http://bigjimny.com

post-86161-0-83558500-1481057139_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-33378500-1481057727_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-18978600-1481058102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Quick one on adblue issues.

Let it runn low...650km to no start...I wasn't bothered about letting it down as I've a forecourt down the road with a pump so waited until I was going that way.

Anyway I filled it up until the pump stopped...all detected fine and 14500km range reported until about 50km further down the road I get a warning about 1000km to no start!

This was a Saturday on my way across the country to my folks. The car continued to report this issue when driving a couple of times on Saturday and when starting my journey back Sunday evening. Not far from home I flick through the maxidot and it's back to 14500km!

Car has been in for a service in the interim and I told them about the issue...seemingly they found no faults recorded or anything amiss.

That was early December and it's been fine since.

• Like 1

Reading this, I'm so glad I went for the 150! ☺️

Adblue was a major contributing factor in me deciding to do the same on my order.  Lots of problems reported in the various VW and Audi forums. 

• Like 1

Adblue was a major contributing factor in me deciding to do the same on my order.  Lots of problems reported in the various VW and Audi forums. 

Wondering about this - genuinely unsure rather than wanting an argument.

I would have been put off by SCR (additional complexity / stuff to go wrong) until I had an Octavia 3  2.0TDI  150 Euro 6, as I have mentioned elsewhere non-stop active regens. I am beginning to think that the only way to achieve Euro 6 without SCR is through a massive amount of both EGR and active regens. Does the SCR not cut down the active regens?

Wondering about this - genuinely unsure rather than wanting an argument.

I would have been put off by SCR (additional complexity / stuff to go wrong) until I had an Octavia 3  2.0TDI  150 Euro 6, as I have mentioned elsewhere non-stop active regens. I am beginning to think that the only way to achieve Euro 6 without SCR is through a massive amount of both EGR and active regens. Does the SCR not cut down the active regens?

Though the systems are independent of each other, and from my understanding, I believe the SCR system does reduce the need for DPF regens.  Apparently the inclusion of the SCR means that a more efficient EGR system can be used which cuts down on the amount of soot being produced. 

In 4 VAG cars, with DPF's fitted and a few hundred thousand miles I've never experienced a single issue relating to the DPF and nor have I noticed an excessive number of regens taking place, certainly not enough to be an inconvenience.  In contrast I see and hear tales of woe regarding the maintenance (topping up, etc) of AdBlue and red herring range/top up messages.  That was something that put me off. 

So in theory and SCR system does mean a more efficient car/engine but for me, the real world benefit vs. the inconvenience of it's teething problems aren't worth it. 

• Like 2

So in theory and SCR system does mean a more efficient car/engine but for me, the real world benefit vs. the inconvenience of it's teething problems aren't worth it. 

Good point

They seriously need to get this sorted out, seems to be stretching customer loyalty to breaking point and beyond.

The next fix, the next big idea, really needs to be adequately tested before introduction and work with total reliability.

As you say teething problems.

Teething problems should be sorted out at prototype stage.

With the current speed of change I fear that genuine prototyping is a thing of the past

Edited by Octy0GG

Better move over to petrol then ;)

That's what I've just done

Octavia 3 SE Sport 1.4

Can't say I'm enjoying the fuel consumption or lack of low down torque though.

Edited by Octy0GG

That's what I've just done

Octavia 3 SE Sport 1.4

I think that derv for cars is likely to become a less attractive proposition in the future especially in major cities like London where congestion charges and parking charges are likely to be geared to fuel used as well as emissions, its never really been an option for me as my mileage is far too low to warrant the expense and potential issues of a diesel engine.  

Octavia 3 SE Sport 1.4

I've moved from a 1.9 pd Superb I to a 1.4tsi Superb II and my mpg only dropped by less than 10% (Was 50mpg now 46mpg)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Petrol engines are due to start getting Gasoline Particulate Filters in the next couple of years. Direct Injection petrol engines have been found to be far 'dirtier' than the good old indirect systems were (up to 1,000 times worse). Expect an SCR equivalent to come along too :-(

If I had known how poor the mpg was on the 190 I would never have bought one. A friend of mine has an X6 M50d (3-litre triple turbo) and that produces better mpg! Something has gone seriously wrong with the way the emission controls have been implemented in these SCR equipped engines.

• Like 2

Though the systems are independent of each other, and from my understanding, I believe the SCR system does reduce the need for DPF regens.

As far as I am aware the DPF collects soot particles which are then burned off in a regen and AdBlue reduces NoX emmisions. They are totally different and unrelated.

Petrol engines are due to start getting Gasoline Particulate Filters in the next couple of years

Don't worry about it very different to a Diesel Particulate Filter. For starters petrol exhaust temps are much higher and will burn off the particles continuously even on short trips from cold. They are also supposed to be much cheaper to produce meaning replacements will be cheaper.

I remember back to about 1990 when the cat was due to become a legal requirement within the next couple of years. Papers like the Daily Mail were saying that the technology for fuel injecting cars did not exist (quite amazing since I was on my 3rd injected car at the time) and that the costs of the cat would virtually double the price of cars. They also said cars would only have a short lifetime since replacing a cat would not be economic.

Well 25 years later all petrol cars are fuel injected (think they all were by the time cats were fitted - carbs cannot control fueling accurately enough) and cars never seemed to increase in price when cats were fitted. In those 25 years I know only one person who has had to replace a cat, was on a 15 year old Corsa and was not that expensive, still worth keeping the car on the road. When he sold it the buyer used it for Pizza deliveries.

As far as I am aware the DPF collects soot particles which are then burned off in a regen and AdBlue reduces NoX emmisions. They are totally different and unrelated.

Reread my post.  Yes they are totally separate systems but cars equipped with SCR have a more efficient EGR system which cuts down on the amount of soot being produced, meaning the DPF will require fewer active regens.   I didn't say that SCR/Adblue is used to get rid of unburned soot particles.