Amundsen Satnav update

6 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I also have a MIB1 Amundsen and use a couple of original Skoda SD cards (one with the current maps and one with the previous version) both of which are only 8GB.

I found that to fit the maps on I had to reformat them to FAT32 but with the cluster size set to 4KB otherwise all the files wouldn't fit (there are many very small files but they occupy the cluster size even if they are only 1 byte long).

Might be worth installing BlueHarvest on your Mac as that can clean all the 'extraneous' Mac generated files from the SD card.

Blueharvest downloaded and hidden Mac files removed but roads still not displaying with numbers in boxes. Mystery...

1 hour ago, Octaviarse said:

well i've checked and the official sd card is only 16gb. so are we supposed to go ahead and update to the latest maps or not? bit confused by skoda's advice.

The maps will fit on a 16gb card. Skoda have no idea what they're talking about (or someone is scaremongering).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JacWorth said:

Once you've put those files on, try following the routine posted by OscarTheGrouch above also - repeated below:

After files have transferred, tidy the SD-card up. Being a Mac there isn't a straight forward way of doing this. The quickest way is with the Terminal, which you can open from Spotlight and run the following.

cd /Volumes/NO\ NAME/

rm -Rf .fseventsd/ ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ ._maps

exit

Then whip the sd-card out without ejecting it and return the write protect tab to read only. Test out the new maps on your Amundsen, if everything is ok you can remove the download and empty the Trash Can on you Mac.

Thanks so much - almost sorted. Exact same problem as you though as I now only have blank boxes instead of road names - at least I have a map now though! I've tried using the terminal but it says operation not permitted. Might have a go with that other software and if push comes to shove then I'll try find a PC to use.

Thanks again,

Danny 

Don't bother with the BlueHarvest tool - I downloaded it, tried again, and it made no difference. Total waste of time.  Perhaps somebody else can help advise on how to get the road names back... ?  

Note that even if you don't see the road names on the map on the main console, they do show up on the little screen in the middle of the controls console - at least you know what road you're on... 

Edited by JacWorth
added more info

Ok - glad BlueHarvest worked for you.  It didn't for me unless I missed a step.

For any other Mac users who have the same problem, try also the CleanEject App - which I've just tried on basis of advice on another string and it works also. 

http://www.javawa.nl/download.script/software=CleanEject&lang=en  

Launch the app AFTER installing the SD Card. The App finds the SD Card itself. Click Go to run the program and wait. It dismounts the disk itself and closes itself and seems just to disappear. Once done you will see that the SD Card has been ejected by the CleanEject.  Give CleanEject a bit of time (a few secs) to do its thing. Initially it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. 

Road names now back. Crikey what a palava.

The advantage of CleanEject is that it is FREE for ever. BlueHarvest give you 1 month free then you have to pay £13 so it wont work for next map update...

Note that I've managed to update the maps on the Amundsen M1B1 model using the original 8Gb card - I didn't have to buy a 32Gb card or do any tricks. The 2019/20 data for all of Europe still just fits on the card. Maybe it wont be big enough next update

Edited by JacWorth

I wasted lots of time and effort and ended up buying one online for £34, I recommend you try this guy for any update, the thing is, you don't have to pay until you know it works! He sends it 1st class post and he trusts that you will be good enough to pay him if all goes well! not worth fiddling about and the card is guaranteed on top of that.  You just get an email bill later!!
His name is David, and easy to send your car details and he will tell you which one you need.
AND no!!! I have nothing to do with him whatsoever and paid full price for mine.
https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/

Oh, this old chestnut again...

All he does is download stuff off the internet and sell it for lots of profit. You paid £34 for something you can do yourself for free, or worst case I can do for about half that price with genuine cards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Oh, this old chestnut again...

All he does is download stuff off the internet and sell it for lots of profit. You paid £34 for something you can do yourself for free, or worst case I can do for about half that price with genuine cards.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Just updated my Amundsen to 2019/20 map.

what a bloody faff.  Had to babysit the file download and make sure the unzip worked. Needed the blueHarvest to strip the metadata files and allow everything to work properly. Also needed to do the SD card format.

should be easier next time around.....

Edited by Excision

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2019 at 19:53, Excision said:

Just updated my Amundsen to 2019/20 map.

what a bloody faff.  Had to babysit the file download and make sure the unzip worked. Needed the blueHarvest to strip the metadata files and allow everything to work properly. Also needed to do the SD card format.

should be easier next time around.....

Also did the upgrade for my 2016 Scout today. Checked the version before and that was ECE 1 (13gb) so I downloaded the europe map ECE A1 2019/2020, unzipped (WinRar), backup previous version, formatted SD card (NTFS) copied the new unzipped folders and files to SD card and put in the slot in the car. Loaded without any problems but when checking version it is just empy, no version what so ever... weird. The map seems to work fine though. Checked the dbinfo.txt file on the computer and it is there...

Did the get the version to show on your car @Excision ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I can not seem to get the unzipped file to transfer to my SD card. I keep getting a "The semaphore timeout period has expired" error, whatever that is.

This is with the full European map and a smaller Western Europe version. 

Any ideas guys? 

• 3 months later...

Hello there, wondering if anyone can help me on this.

I am collecting a used (but new to me) 2016 Superb MkIII tomorrow. From looking at previous posts on here I think it is an Amundsen system because one of the pictures on the ad on the dealer website showed the "jukebox" option in the source selection menu.

Do I need when I collect to make sure that I get an official Skoda SD card with the vehicle so I can update it to update the maps? So I can check will the SD card already be in an SD card slot in the glove compartment area of the car?

Thanks for any help!!!

44 minutes ago, thekidfromkensington said:

Hello there, wondering if anyone can help me on this.

I am collecting a used (but new to me) 2016 Superb MkIII tomorrow. From looking at previous posts on here I think it is an Amundsen system because one of the pictures on the ad on the dealer website showed the "jukebox" option in the source selection menu.

Do I need when I collect to make sure that I get an official Skoda SD card with the vehicle so I can update it to update the maps? So I can check will the SD card already be in an SD card slot in the glove compartment area of the car?

Thanks for any help!!!

if it's an Amundsen unit you have to use an official Skoda SD card. An ordinary SD card will not work. Make sure it's there

If it's a Columbus unit no SD card required

• Like 1