Amundsen Satnav update

I have read the comments on this topic and I am encouraged to try fixing the card contents.

I have tried the download several time and hit snags each time.

The big disappointment was that Skoda UK help desk couldn't and the dealer did not seem to know either.

It seems that my Octavia/Amundsen has a 32GB card but Skoda's unpacker said there's no space.

So, following suggestions here, I'll delete the card contents and try again.......

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a three year old Octavia from a main dealer and found that the maps were still the 2013 version. I've finally succeeded in updating to 2016/17 version but it was so difficult to get a straight forward list of instructions on how to do so I thought it worth sharing.

Background:

1. Do it on a pc - it just won't work if any stage is done on a mac
  2. You have to use the original Skoda SD card

The method that worked for me:

1. Back up the contents of the Skoda SD card to a folder (call it what you like - I named it 2013 version)
  2. Go to http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com and download the new version to a new folded (named e.g. 2016 version)
  3. Download 7-zip to use when unzipping the download. You must use 7-zip.
  4. Wipe the SD card by formatting it. Choose MS-DOS not NTFS. The Skoda instructions here state you should choose NTFS format but I found this led to getting an error message (Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data) when I put the updated SD card back into the car.
  5. Read and follow the 7-zip extractor guide here - follow Method 2. Basically 7-zip extracts from the downloaded file and copies onto the SD card.

If for any reason this doesn't work you've always got the back up. I was glad of this as when various other update methods failed I was able revert and also demonstrate that there wasn't a problem with the card itself.

When you say MS-DOS ?, what file system are you referring to? (FAT12, FAT16?) or FAT32?

I'm trying to format the card on a windows 7 machine and the only options I have are FAT or FAT32

I tried to format the card which is 7GB as FAT and it fails saying that the card is too big for the FAT.

Just to mention in the instructions printed in the Amundsen manual says use a computer that has NTFS file system to download the zip file! as it's a large file ( which it is, approximately 6 GB ) , the manual doesn't actually tell you to format the SD Card as NTFS ( this will never work! ) , it just makes the assumption that your SD card is already formatted and that all you need to do is clear the contents from it before unpacking the new files.  When I tried to do this using the unpacker it failed to remove the files. So I formatted the SD card as FAT32 then used windows build in unzip to de-compress the files and copy them to the SD card.

I did have a weird problem with my Windows 7 PC though See:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/410416-amundsen-satnav-update-problem/#entry4704516

But in the end I got it working.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought a three year old Octavia from a main dealer and found that the maps were still the 2013 version. I've finally succeeded in updating to 2016/17 version but it was so difficult to get a straight forward list of instructions on how to do so I thought it worth sharing.

Background:

1. Do it on a pc - it just won't work if any stage is done on a mac
  2. You have to use the original Skoda SD card

The method that worked for me:

1. Back up the contents of the Skoda SD card to a folder (call it what you like - I named it 2013 version)
  2. Go to http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com and download the new version to a new folded (named e.g. 2016 version)
  3. Download 7-zip to use when unzipping the download. You must use 7-zip.
  4. Wipe the SD card by formatting it. Choose MS-DOS not NTFS. The Skoda instructions here state you should choose NTFS format but I found this led to getting an error message (Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data) when I put the updated SD card back into the car.
  5. Read and follow the 7-zip extractor guide here - follow Method 2. Basically 7-zip extracts from the downloaded file and copies onto the SD card.

If for any reason this doesn't work you've always got the back up. I was glad of this as when various other update methods failed I was able revert and also demonstrate that there wasn't a problem with the card itself.

Thanks for this - it worked.  I had gone through the full procedure on my Mac, including erasing/formatting the card in MS-DOS, but the SatNav in the car did not recognise the card.  I read your post and borrowed my daughter's laptop.  Mind you, it is still a lot of hassle compared with my TomTom which has free lifetime updates that come through every 3 months...  I'll not be doing this in 3 years' time when I have to start paying for updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks from me too - it worked also. 64 plate - MIB1

But most importantly it gave me a chance to edit the - AMZoomConfig.xml  file :peek:

so now the Auto-zoom doesn't zoom out to a crazy long way (1.5miles and more ) when I'm in a built up area doing less then 30mph

:D

• 1 month later...

Trying to download latest version from Skoda Update Portal.

I enter my VIN, press check for updates & it comes back wth 'Unexpected Error, please try later'

Been like that for a couple of days, anyone else having problems?

Managed to update mine yesterday with no issues at all. Used a Windows 7 machine and the standard Skoda issue memory card.

Cut and paste the old data onto the laptop then downloaded the update and unpacked it directly on to the card.

Took some time but went smoothly.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought it was time to update the maps in my Nov 2015 reg Scout's Amundsen since I'm shortly off on a road trip to Austria.

I've just put the vin into the Skoda update portal & was surprised to get the report no updates available. Hard to believe my Skoda dealer would have done an unasked for update while the car was in a few months ago for an early oil change but guess I'd better check the software version on the car itself.

Anyone else had this experience .... would have thought there must have been at least one update since the car was built c. mid/2015?

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2017 at 13:59, Tanglewood said:

I enter my VIN, press check for updates & it comes back wth 'Unexpected Error, please try later'

Just tried this and got the same error.
When I tried it back in August it worked OK

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 14:26, MikeM46 said:

Thought it was time to update the maps in my Nov 2015 reg Scout's Amundsen since I'm shortly off on a road trip to Austria.

I've just put the vin into the Skoda update portal & was surprised to get the report no updates available. Hard to believe my Skoda dealer would have done an unasked for update while the car was in a few months ago for an early oil change but guess I'd better check the software version on the car itself.

Anyone else had this experience .... would have thought there must have been at least one update since the car was built c. mid/2015?

Just check which version you have. Latest version is EU 2017

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 13:59, Tanglewood said:

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:23, DavidY said:

Just tried this and got the same error.
When I tried it back in August it worked OK

I tried again today and it seems to be downloading now.

My original card which came with the car is only 8gb so I put the new update to another SD card (32gb formatted in FAT32 before putting the update) but satnav doesn't work from that card. when i put that update to original SD Card it works. Does anyone encounter this problem? do i have to always stick with SKODA SD Card?

17 minutes ago, automass said:

My original card which came with the car is only 8gb so I put the new update to another SD card (32gb formatted in FAT32 before putting the update) but satnav doesn't work from that card. when i put that update to original SD Card it works. Does anyone encounter this problem? do i have to always stick with SKODA SD Card?

Yes, you have to use the original Skoda card for the Sat nav.

2 hours ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

Really!!! what if i need more than 8gb for the next update..

2 hours ago, automass said:

Really!!! what if i need more than 8gb for the next update..

Well since Skoda supply the card and their website supplies the update, I imagine they're well aware and would do what they can to keep the size of each update under 8GB.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

Yes, you do and there are a lot of threads on this subject, especially in the early days when the first updates were coming out.

Thank you so much for this. I've been struggling with this for a few days. I got a 63 plate Skoda Octavia 1.4TSi Elegance on Friday. I followed the "destructions" on the website and of course they don't say you need to use the original SD card, so I'm very pleased I found this forum post.

By the way the format definitely needs to be Fat32. Fat 16 only goes up to 2048MB maximum partition size.

• 3 weeks later...

When I download the update file (using a mac) I get a large number of folders e.g.: markets/eu/map  and markets/eu/vde and these all have sub folders.

I cant find anywhere in the thread where someone has stated which folder is the one to transfer to the SD Card, I guess it is markets/eu/maps and all its sub folders? Or is it the whole folder structure  which is called STD1_P64_EU_2017?

Skoda's instructions are not very clear at all.

Grateful for any advice.

• 2 months later...
On 29/03/2017 at 23:15, DavidY said:

Well since Skoda supply the card and their website supplies the update, I imagine they're well aware and would do what they can to keep the size of each update under 8GB.

I'm now wishing I hadn't posted that... :sad:... because I just tried downloading the latest "ECE 2017/2018" version which seems to have appeaed today, and it indeed doesn't fit on my SD card. The actual file sizes added up would probably be OK, but the 'Size on Disk' figure is just a bit too much. :(

Not sure if using a different computer might help?
I'm a bit reluctant to try reformatting the SD card (it seems to be FAT32 at present), in case I lose whatever magic piece of data marks it out as a genuine Skoda card.

Anyone else had this problem?

6 hours ago, DavidY said:

I'm now wishing I hadn't posted that... :sad:... because I just tried downloading the latest "ECE 2017/2018" version which seems to have appeaed today, and it indeed doesn't fit on my SD card. The actual file sizes added up would probably be OK, but the 'Size on Disk' figure is just a bit too much. :(

Not sure if using a different computer might help?
I'm a bit reluctant to try reformatting the SD card (it seems to be FAT32 at present), in case I lose whatever magic piece of data marks it out as a genuine Skoda card.

Anyone else had this problem?

Don't worry, you can't destroy the secret data on the card by formatting.

I had the same problem so I re-formatted it with 4k cluster size (original was 32k).

After this all data fits on the card.

So stupid that Skoda haven't tested if the data fits on the card with the original format...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aki78 said:

I had the same problem so I re-formatted it with 4k cluster size (original was 32k).

So stupid that Skoda haven't tested if the data fits on the card with the original format...

I posted this problem and this exact fix in this Forum  a few weeks ago... and got comments that clearly didn't understand that FAT32 offers options of the cluster size to be used. Oh well!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aki78 said:

Don't worry, you can't destroy the secret data on the card by formatting.

Ah brilliant - thanks for posting - I'll give that a go tonight.
And yes it is bad they haven't tested it, given they supply the cards. I even used the downloader tool from Skoda, which you'd have thought could have included the capability to re-format the card in this situation.

8 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I posted this problem and this exact fix in this Forum  a few weeks ago... and got comments that clearly didn't understand that FAT32 offers options of the cluster size to be used. Oh well!!!

Thanks for that. Sadly I don't come on here much these days so I missed your earlier posts.