EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 1

gadgetman

Theresa will get us a rebate and likely a better one than Call me Dave did.  & the UK is doing pretty damn well on moneys coming into the UK for many projects.  The BBC 2 programme last night on Who by & how the Billions are spent in the UK was interesting.   Some would say spent others would say wasted in paying out on contracts to be part of the gravy train.  Pricewarerhouse Coopers is doing rather well in Consulting on how to cut back public spending,  then all the other companies making huge profits from austerity.

It is spelt PricewaterhouseCoopers FYI.  (They paid a lot of money for that and other logos I gather !).

Vault Accounting 50 has ranked PwC as the most prestigious accounting firm in the world for seven consecutive years, as well as the top firm to work for in North America for three consecutive years.  PwC is a network of firms in 157 countries, 756 locations, with more than 208,100 people. As of 2015, 22% of the workforce worked in Asia, 26% in North America and Caribbean and 32% in Western Europe. The company's global revenues were $35.4 billion in FY 2015, of which $15.2 billion was generated by its Assurance practice, $8.9 billion by its Tax practice and $11.3 billion by its Advisory practice.[4] 

Yes, we get a choice between accepting the EU deal or leaving without a deal.

Actually "we" wouldnt be getting a choice, that's the problem, but if they want to take us on then so be it, they'll lose in the long run.

You're talking about the owner of MGN, yes, he did but then came to a fortunate end.

Yes, the Mirror is leftist but then one could equally argue how far right its contemporary The Sun is.

Or the Mail, or the Express. You can only have an opinion as long as it agrees with theirs going by the comments sections.

Pretty sure a lot of them are made by rabid Britain First supporters TBH

As you brought up history (Maxwell's been dead a long time now) don't forget the DM's connections to Hitler.

An hour? Or was all mouth and no trousers?

Nah it's nothing but a G thang. On a serious note I'm trying to steer the direction down a more positive route but It's a lot harder than I imagined. :)

Edited by theezenutz

Where's the choice? Leave the EU or leave the EU?

That was what the vote was for, it was quite clear, as was the Government prior to the vote, moving the goalposts now isn't going to wash I'm afraid.

That was what the vote was for, it was quite clear, as was the Government prior to the vote, moving the goalposts now isn't going to wash I'm afraid.

What??

We are talking about what choice parliament gets on the deal? It's either accept the EU deal and leave or don't accept the deal and leave???

What??

We are talking about what choice parliament gets on the deal? It's either accept the EU deal and leave or don't accept the deal and leave???

What "EU deal"? No deal that involves staying part of the EU will be accepted by the majority of the British people.

Well this is getting a bit old now 90 pages full of the same repetitive stuff.

How about we do something different? Rather than waste time regurgitating political spin why don't we discus what we want to see come from Brexit? We've heard many reasons for voting or not voting Brexit but now that it is a reality what changes do you want to see on behalf of the People?

All I want is the least damaging option for me and my family, friends etc. Some are already struggling, and their employers are struggling due to the uncertainty and rise in day to day costs. Leaving may tip them over the edge.

Too much us interwoven with the EU including jobs. It's 2 years of squeaky bum for a lot of people I know.

Immigration doesn't concern me as the majority is for low paid jobs no one here wants to do (picking veg, cleaning toilets etc) or highly skilled stuff which can be hard to fill too or a huge shortage of UK people (software engineering, bioscience engineering, medical staff etc).

EU regulations do not bother me. I see very few as ridiculous, and most reported by eurosceptics and the media are proven nonsense. Most of the regulations will still apply to companies trading with the EU and even if you don't, but the other company largely does these UK companies will almost certainly still need to follow eu legislation and regulations (especially manufacturing companies).

Certainly you have to be pretty brave or completely insane starting a business in the current climate unless its a debt collection business.

• Like 2

What "EU deal"? No deal that involves staying part of the EU will be accepted by the majority of the British people.

We have to have a relationship with the EU, we can't not have one. Thinking otherwise is beyond dumb.

• Like 1

Forget about it it's a non story we have the power end of. Start to realize this and their is nothing we can't achieve.

This is kids stuff, if want better you have to go out and take it because these Politicians and those on the take want to keep things the same. Why? Because they are benefiting from the system and they know how to play the game.

Time to smarten up People :).

The same politicians we've supposedly given more power to, and some which will pick their desired brexit over what is best for us the people?

You have some strange overly simplistic views my friend oof the world.

• Like 1

That's fine, as long as it's not a political one, no problem, otherwise it's game over.

We have one group of politicians making a deal with another group of politicians who make up a large supranational entity which will be based on political ideals and requirements? What the **** do you think we will get? That's what international trade is!

We have one group of politicians making a deal with another group of politicians who make up a large supranational entity which will be based on political ideals and requirements? What the **** do you think we will get? That's what international trade is!

No, international trade is not based on political union, other countries trade with the EU and are not in a political union, that's the whole point, or didn't you realise that? Which part of "Brexit means Brexit" did you miss?

Which part of "Brexit means Brexit" did you miss?

The bit we find out what it actually means. None of the leave champions know, no one in government knows what it means.

We know the BS promises Leave told us though. But not what is actually deliverable and what was complete fantasy.

Clearly you believe it's all possible without any negatives at all.

• Like 1

No, international trade is not based on political union, other countries trade with the EU and are not in a political union, that's the whole point, or didn't you realise that? Which part of "Brexit means Brexit" did you miss?

Cheese means cheese but that doesn't tell you anything about cheese.

If we trade with the EU we will have to accept their rules and regulations on the things we sell them. So if their politicians set rules saying we can only sell them cars if we wear blue socks then blue sock salesman will have field day.

If they say we can only sell them cars if we use paint that's environmentally friendly then that's what we have to do. At that point foreign politicians are dictating what we can and can't do.

We can dictate things back just the same and then our politicians are telling EU citizens what we can do.

Now take somewhere like the US, in my old job the US did not recognise British qualifications for certain kinds of work involving US companies, so I couldn't legally do stuff for US based clients. So we have US politicians telling us what we can and can't do. We don't have a trade deal or political union with them.

• Like 2

Yes, we get a choice between accepting the EU deal or leaving without a deal.

No, under article 50 a deal has to be agreed between the UK and the EU, otherwise any member state could just walk away.

Other countries who trade with the EU have to meet spcific criteria.

So you'd be happy to import good from China or Vietnam or The Phillipines which haven't been CE marked then?

In which case those goods would need the old fashioned Kite mark.

That means two differing standards for one product.

That means increased cost.

• Like 1

Other countries who trade with the EU have to meet spcific criteria.

So you'd be happy to import good from China or Vietnam or The Phillipines which haven't been CE marked then?

In which case those goods would need the old fashioned Kite mark.

That means two differing standards for one product.

That means increased cost.

Do you know how many items are imported into the UK without a CE mark?

All I want is the least damaging option for me and my family, friends etc. Some are already struggling, and their employers are struggling due to the uncertainty and rise in day to day costs. Leaving may tip them over the edge.

Too much us interwoven with the EU including jobs. It's 2 years of squeaky bum for a lot of people I know.

Immigration doesn't concern me as the majority is for low paid jobs no one here wants to do (picking veg, cleaning toilets etc) or highly skilled stuff which can be hard to fill too or a huge shortage of UK people (software engineering, bioscience engineering, medical staff etc).

EU regulations do not bother me. I see very few as ridiculous, and most reported by eurosceptics and the media are proven nonsense. Most of the regulations will still apply to companies trading with the EU and even if you don't, but the other company largely does these UK companies will almost certainly still need to follow eu legislation and regulations (especially manufacturing companies).

Certainly you have to be pretty brave or completely insane starting a business in the current climate unless its a debt collection business.

This is more like it :).

We have to remember we are all in the same boat so it is in our interest's to work together. We have some intelligent People in here we can put it to better use together.

Let's stop the doom and gloom and fear mongering because it doesn't do anyone any good all we get is panic and a loss of consumer confidence, as we are seeing now.

We've had a financial catastrophe already, in recent memory....2008. We came out of that alright many businesses have started since then.

It's not about a fairy tale it's about focusing on the positives instead of the negatives. It's a change of mindset. We've been waiting for the "Establishment" to get their act together for long enough now and they repetitively have let us down. Einstein allegedly said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result". Well we've been doing the same thing of and over....... Time to regain our sanity. :)

Do you know how many items are imported into the UK without a CE mark?

Well, obviously straight bananas don't require a CE mark but there's many products that do; they've been certified as safe after rigorous testing. Much like NCAP for cars.

Yes, cheap **** gets imported that isn't safe or fit for purpose so I ask you; would you advocate that?

All I want is the least damaging option for me and my family, friends etc. Some are already struggling, and their employers are struggling due to the uncertainty and rise in day to day costs. Leaving may tip them over the edge.  Too much us interwoven with the EU including jobs. It's 2 years of squeaky bum for a lot of people I know.  Immigration doesn't concern me as the majority is for low paid jobs no one here wants to do (picking veg, cleaning toilets etc) or highly skilled stuff which can be hard to fill too or a huge shortage of UK people (software engineering, bioscience engineering, medical staff etc).  EU regulations do not bother me. I see very few as ridiculous, and most reported by eurosceptics and the media are proven nonsense. Most of the regulations will still apply to companies trading with the EU and even if you don't, but the other company largely does these UK companies will almost certainly still need to follow eu legislation and regulations (especially manufacturing companies).  Certainly you have to be pretty brave or completely insane starting a business in the current climate unless its a debt collection business.

Don't forget doing the customs entries as well as consultancy on all sorts of customs issues.  Expecting big growth in the whole customs area of course and maybe thousands of jobs not only in the freight industry but also the civil servants who must enforce ie replacing all of it as thousand were moved from the duties in 1992/3 (It is what I did then). Then all of the admin to support that ie the civil servant HR and pension schemes etc.  Cost to be carried by exporter/importers admin charges for receiving/sending goods to the EU in addition to the existing non-EU export and import movements.