Koni FSD reliability

Driving to work this morning, and I hear some slight clonking noises from the rear. I check, and one of the rear dampers has failed with leaking oil. :(

I'd be interested to hear if others have had similar issues. My main concern / annoyance is this is my second set. The first one was replaced under warranty, and like the first set, it was the rear that failed.

So I appear to be suffering the same issue.

Fronts have been fine.

Anyone else had this? I need to check what the warranty / support status is. They were sourced via JKM who were excellent first time round in helping organise replacements.

Could old Eibach springs contribute to the problem? They seem fine, but maybe they've worn or lost their stiffness putting extra pressure on the dampers? I don't think it would be that as the fronts have been fine and still on the same set of springs.

Thanks.

Ran these on my Octy, had one front and one rear go just under 40k miles which I found disappointing,considering they replaced OEM ones that were still OK after 66k, expensive for what they are, replaced with B8's.

I had the same problem with Koni's on my Fabia

They were second hand, so no massive surprise.

I've got KW's now and they ride much better

Edited by vRS Joe

• 8 months later...

OEM dampers last 20k km on bad roads...most don't even notice they have bad dampers and I don't know anyone who is willingly attending dampers test ;-)

Most "feel" their dampers are ok until they start leaking ;-)

My suspension setup is rally spec manufacturer suggests 65k km till refurbish

So called tuning dampers or premium dampers are rarely different from OEM dampers...they have just different valving and rebound characteristics...that's whole magic ;-) Unlike, OEM parts...you can refurbish them and they are as new

Edited by Gizmo68
link removed, see recent warning for reason

• 1 year later...