Drive!

snapseller

Hi,

I've been reading/posting to this forum for around 18 months & am constantly surprised by the variety of topics which arise. Most appear to me to be items which have little relevance to driving the car. 

Why get concerned about stripes, wheels, messing with various electronic bits? Why not just get with using the car & if something goes wrong post a query or return to the dealer/your favourite garage?

I can only speak from my own experience, but as a car enthusiast I am interested in every aspect of my vehicle, far more than simply just "driving it". Having said that, many of the topics on offer here, such as suspension mods, "chipping", tyre choice etc etc, have a very real bearing on that "driving" experience and often also on the wallet.

Just don't read topics which doesn't interest you. That why it's important to think (even a bit) which title you give for a topic. "Drive!" may not be good title for a topic. ;-)

• Like 4

so full of information about common faults, economy, features and how they work

very useful if buying a car so you know common faults to look for on test drive so the salesperson can't baffle you with BS  "they all do that" etc

so many queries about features or kit without the need to visit dealers

as well as how to actually go faster and uprate the other bits like brakes and suspension to keep it safe, unlike some of the local yoof with baked been can exhausts and 1.0l engines in a corsa lowered without sorting out the suspension geometry

• Like 1

I'm like you, I literally just drive my car. I don't do anything to it other than put some petrol in it and do some visual checks every now and then.

But while researching cars, I found this forum incredibly useful and it's one of the reasons I picked the VAG trio over the alternatives, as there seemed to be a bigger online presence of Citigo/Mii/Up! owners than the i10, Picanto etc owners. This meant I was much more likely to find some online help in diagnosing problems etc, just because there'd be more folks around who could help.

The other reason I went for the VAG trio was because due to the online presence of owners, I knew what problems were likely to be present, and thus, I knew what I was getting myself into, whereas it was difficult to find owners of the alternative choices online, meaning I didn't know as much about the other cars I was researching.

This meant at the end of the day, I felt much more assured in my choice of car, and then I simply went for the Citigo as it appealed to me the most out of the trio (for two reasons alone.

- I knew our local Skoda dealer and enjoyed dealing with him much more than the VW and Seat dealers.

- I find the DRL and indicator design at the front of the Up! and the Mii incredibly irritating [DRL is positioned right above the indicator making them awkward to see]).

So yeah, I don't personally feel the inclination to post on a forum every day talking about my car etc, but I really appreciate having the assurance that there are knowledgeable people who are just a post away from helping me sort out any potential issues with my car.

So I am thankful for this forum, and the members who choose to post on it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, that started something.

I quite agree, I have found the Forum very interesting & helpful.

'Drive' was intended to mean what it says rather than treating the car as hobby object. I do appreciate that many younger drivers see their cars in this light. In my youth I did too, although the cars in those days tended toward 3-wheel Morgan, Austin 7 Chummy, engine rebuilt in back garden, & a Morris Eight, which was once decoked on a Sunday morning prior to taking the then current girlfriend for a drive.

'Nuff said. Best wishes.

• Like 1

I'm only 41 years young, but I'm interested in all technical items. Also these shopping carts called Citigo. When I ordered our 3rd Citigo I knew more about Citigo than my dealer did. Thanks for Briskoda and members. :-)

• Like 1

snip....

a Morris Eight, which was once decoked on a Sunday morning prior to taking the then current girlfriend for a drive.

'Nuff said. Best wishes.

a lot on here wouldn't know what a decoke was or how to do it,

oh the fun of stripping a head, cleaning all the carbon off the valves and piston crowns (leaving a ring of carbon around the edge), my old MK3 Cortina 2.0 Ghia got the treatment and boy what a difference

oh what weekend fun modern fuel injection and additive packs in petrol and oil prevent

and don't forget balancing twin SU carbs with the little vacuum gauge, setting points, and adjusting tappets and making sure you got the relevant hot or cold gap depending on engine temp

oh the bad old days, but you could fix just about anything on the engine with a few spanners an a set of feeler gauges

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 2

I put some dust caps on my tyres with the Skoda logo on it,and now the car goes a lot faster. I'm almost 60 years old :nerd:

• Like 3

Bluecar1 has caught the drift of my original post. Unless you are a 'chip' whizz kid there appears little the owner can do with modern cars other than change the appearance. Now 82 2/3 I'm thinking of a vintage car as one to play with (or 'with which to play' for the pedants). Best wishes to all my readers.

You would probably like my Austin A40 Farina :D

My dad had one of those when I was a kid. Grey with a white roof. He swapped for a white Anglia. All I remember of the Anglia is the rust stains running down the bodywork where the chrome strip was riveted on. :)

Bluecar1 has caught the drift of my original post. Unless you are a 'chip' whizz kid there appears little the owner can do with modern cars other than change the appearance. Now 82 2/3 I'm thinking of a vintage car as one to play with (or 'with which to play' for the pedants). Best wishes to all my readers.

After spending 6 years and £9,000 "playing" with a 1992 MX-5 I am appreciating the Citigo as something that just needs air in the tyres, petrol in the tank and the occasional wash. :)