One of 'those' days...

Thanks to some tight turns on the small road outside the school, and awkward parking by the local residents, I was forced to clip a corner with the near side rear wheel when I collected the kids earlier

It didn't go well...

50ff086f75c4394d4cb0d53a2b521574.jpg

[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30][emoji31][emoji31][emoji25][emoji25]

The wheels are one of my most favourite part of my rapid sport.

I'm hoping the local non-franchised smart alloy repair dude can sort it. I doubt the 'from £45 a wheel' claim on his website will be anything other than optimistic though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely won't get a £45 repair on diamond cut alloys - that price is for patching up and repainting normal silver painted alloys. Reckon you would be looking at about £80-£100 to put that back to immaculate.

You've got my sympathy!

Thought I'd done the same in Asda the other week, but the tyres overhang enough for them to have escaped unharmed this time.

Didn't realise these were 'diamond cut' - I'll be more careful in the future too.

I've had a quote based on the picture above for £65, so that's actually not so bad.

And without getting too heavy, my bad day was nothing compared to Others' in places like Nice and Turkey. Perspective and all that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

£65 is very cheap - just be careful you don't get a slapdash job for your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We fitted gator protectors to ours as the damage to the rims was awful.

I understand that these protectors will not "help" the life of the rims as they will trap moisture and dirt causing premature corrosion, BUT they look cool until I get around to getting new rims.

Cost £25 per wheel fitted.

image_zpsiyvapopj.jpeg

image_zpsvo9ysx4h.jpeg

They look great, but are taking quite a beating. I skim off the scuffs with a sharp knife.

They do look very good indeed

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

They do look very good indeed

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I'd say that's subjective! 

Silver and black wheels, then adding in another colour? Not a fan personally.

• Like 1

Another reason why the OE Contis are better than the Dunlops - built in rim protection.

The dunlops I have fitted appear to have a bit of a lip - and I've had 'rim protection' tyres before (on a E93 3 series touring). I doubt these would have saved my blushes in this circumstance though. Maybe they would stop gentle rubbing (ooo err!) when parking, but to catch a curb with the inside rear wheel on a 90 degree bend at 10-15mph, not so much...

Anyway, I've got the local guy coming to do a repair on Friday. I'm going to ask him to have a look at the slightest, barely noticeable scrape, on the front nearside too (careless parking) which I had decided weeks ago not to bother sorting, too. Seeing as he'll have the tools out and paint open anyway I hope he'll do a '2 for 1' type deal for cash... (as ever I'm a wild-eyed optimist!). I'll let you know what it turns out like.

As for the alloygaters, I have considered them - but not in body colour. Can you get them in bright silver to match the edge of the wheel? I reckon that would give the illusion of 18" wheels rather than 17" (well, maybe 17.5" - not that size really matters) and probably would save any further embarrassment once the repairs are done.

Yes you can get the allygators in bright silver and they do make the wheels look bigger.They can take quite a bit of punishment but stand so far out from the wheel and the tyre that it is very easy to scrape the protectors.You are provided with a tool to remove the burs but it is not perfect and if you scrape them enough times they start to look tatty.

Edited by Robbydazzler
  • Like 1