1987 Skoda 120 LX 21st Anniversary Edition

Zelandeth

Valve clearances checked this morning and were very close, but have not been set correctly.  No difference.  Checked for vacuum leaks by removing and plugging the brake servo line, no signs of leakage - I gave the area around the carb and manifolds a good blast around with carb cleaner to try to track down any other leaks without finding any.  The brake servo hose is on the to do list, but there's no sign of active leakage at present and it's not made any difference.

I had a chat with the chief mechanic at the garage I use and he agrees that with what I've already checked that there isn't much left that it can be and that fuel is a likely suspect.

Also today I picked up a little present for the fleet (especially the Estelle given its old school ignition system).

IMG_20160808_171032_zps63oe2zhm.jpg

Will spend a bit of time on it tomorrow and see how much work it will need to get up and running.  80s tech is very much up my street though so I should be able to find my way around just fine.

While I don't have it, there is apparently a companion unit to this which allows it to also display a %CO value, now finding that as well would be really handy...

• Like 1

Drained somewhere around 15 litres of fuel off today (left it just above the red on the gauge) then went and filled up with super unleaded at a less dodgy looking garage.

Strangely enough after about two minutes the running problems vanished - though I do now need to adjust the idle speed back to something sensible as I adjusted it up in an effort to keep it from stalling so has now shot up to about 1500rpm.

Also need to recheck the valve clearances as she is clattering like an 80s Fiesta so reckon I mucked one or two up. Easy check at least - or they were just well tight when I got the car.