Disappointed in Chris Knott Insurance

Bete Noir

Twice I have phoned Chris Knott Insurance looking to take advantage of the "special insurance rates available", and twice I have been left unhappy. When I requested a quote for the Felicia Pick-Up I was told that special rates did not apply because it is a commercial vehicle. Today I phoned for a quote on the 1.8t Felicia, and was told that they were not able to provide cover. Given that I am a middle-aged bloke with a long history of driving modified cars (and not crashing them or having them stolen) I have to say I am really surprised and disappointed.

• Like 1

Since they do not want to cover you, can i suggest you try

http://lancasterinsurance.co.uk

I am very happy with the policy they sold me for a modified pickup which is PLG Class / VED (Private Light Goods) so not commercial since i am not using for business.

Agreed Value as well and not expensive.

Twice I have phoned Chris Knott Insurance looking to take advantage of the "special insurance rates available", and twice I have been left unhappy. When I requested a quote for the Felicia Pick-Up I was told that special rates did not apply because it is a commercial vehicle. Today I phoned for a quote on the 1.8t Felicia, and was told that they were not able to provide cover. Given that I am a middle-aged bloke with a long history of driving modified cars (and not crashing them or having them stolen) I have to say I am really surprised and disappointed.

Postcode? They wouldn't insure me either despite age, no claims, no accidents, convictions, etc., etc., but they seem to be the only insurer in the UK that doesn't like my postcode. Rubbish IMO.

• Sponsor

Hi, I'm sorry we couldn't quote you. None of the insurers on our panel liked the fact that it was a 1.8 (Golf GTI?) petrol engine going in a car not designed for one and the effective bhp increase was too much for their appetites. I believe the only 1.8's Skoda offered for the car were diesels?

We have referred it to insurers again, to make absolutely sure, and even given your experience on your other cars they're still declining to quote.

It's a shame because we hate losing business as much as you get frustrated when we can't quote. Our hands are tied unfortunately.

All the best and I hope you find cover at a reasonable rate elsewhere.

best,

Nick

• Like 3

Plenty of insurers will cover your car out there..

Chris seems to be only a middle-man and not an insurer, trying to earn a crust, so as said his hands are well and truly tied..

Edited by giandougl
  • Like 2

Chris Knott lost my business this year on my vRS, but only coz they were unable to match a competitor.  I was really surprised, and think they were too.

I'm a middle aged bloke too (except I have stuffed one fast car).

Never had anything but exemplary service from them though.

Gaz

Nothing but great things to say about Chris Knott, even though they were unable to match a competitor's quote (competitor wouldn't send a quote with price of insurance??) have been more than happy in the past, will try them again next year!

• Like 1

• Sponsor

Nothing but great things to say about Chris Knott, even though they were unable to match a competitor's quote (competitor wouldn't send a quote with price of insurance??) have been more than happy in the past, will try them again next year!

Please do. We could have helped this year if evidence of the alternative could have been supplied (not your fault).

Since they do not want to cover you, can i suggest you try

http://lancasterinsurance.co.uk

I am very happy with the policy they sold me for a modified pickup which is PLG Class / VED (Private Light Goods) so not commercial since i am not using for business.

Agreed Value as well and not expensive.

Thanks, I know there are plenty of insurers who will cover me, but it is always good to get a personal recommendation.

Postcode? They wouldn't insure me either despite age, no claims, no accidents, convictions, etc., etc., but they seem to be the only insurer in the UK that doesn't like my postcode. Rubbish IMO.

No we did not get as far as my postcode. I live in a sleepy seaside town where TWOC is more likely to apply to mobility scooters than it is to cars.

Hi, I'm sorry we couldn't quote you. None of the insurers on our panel liked the fact that it was a 1.8 (Golf GTI?) petrol engine going in a car not designed for one and the effective bhp increase was too much for their appetites. I believe the only 1.8's Skoda offered for the car were diesels?

We have referred it to insurers again, to make absolutely sure, and even given your experience on your other cars they're still declining to quote.

It's a shame because we hate losing business as much as you get frustrated when we can't quote. Our hands are tied unfortunately.

All the best and I hope you find cover at a reasonable rate elsewhere.

best,

Nick

Thanks for the reply, but this does not change the facts of my first post. I have been around various car forums for many years now, and they all tend to have an insurance company associated with the forum, many of whom I have done business with as I tend to have three or four cars insured at any time. I have never previously encountered the situation where the insurer offering special rates to forum members has failed to cater for my cars. That is why I am disappointed.

If there was any possibility of your insurers being persuaded to change their minds, I would have expected you to refer back to them when I made my enquiry, and not only in response to this thread appearing.

I work in the industry.

We recently had a problem with our company not being picked up on MoneySuperMarket.com (as in our company didn't feature at all). 

I was asked to try to obtain a quotation (which I did).......£1791 when my present cover cost me £165!!

Turns out as a safe driver, shedloads of NCD, car parked in a locked garage at night, premium paid in full, almost no chance of me cancelling the policy and 7,000 miles a year meant

(a) minimalistic broker fees

( B) minimalistic commission fees

© zero chance of cancellation fees

(d) zero finance arrangement fees

(e) zero income from any finance agreement

I didn't fit their underwriting profile.

Brokers make their money from the fees and commission - not the cost of underwriting your policy.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

• Sponsor

...If there was any possibility of your insurers being persuaded to change their minds, I would have expected you to refer back to them when I made my enquiry, and not only in response to this thread appearing.

Which is why I said we'd "referred it again" - not for the first time. Be assured that we don't lightly turn away business and, if we have to, it's outside our control. I'm aware that my response doesn't change the facts of anything but it is at least an explanation.

Which is why I said we'd "referred it again" - not for the first time. Be assured that we don't lightly turn away business and, if we have to, it's outside our control. I'm aware that my response doesn't change the facts of anything but it is at least an explanation.

I think you have mis-understood my post which you quoted. The phrase "to refer back to them" means to refer to them again, i.e. not for the first time. If I had meant the first time I would have used "to refer to them".

I am not trying to start some sort of a campaign here. I believe you when you say that you do not lightly turn away business, I accept that some people on here have good things to say about your service, and I genuinely wish I could be in that group of satisfied customers (as evidenced by my phoning you, twice). 

• 4 weeks later...