Shifter knob flaking

On 20/09/2017 at 19:13, courty said:

The same has recently started to occur with my manual knob.

Car is only 26k old, coming up to 2yrs next month; I don't have sweaty palms and moisturise? Erm, no. 

Is is this something the dealer will replace FOC or will they use the "wear and tear" strap line?

No idea, I hope they change it under warranty. I'm already out of warranty so I need to find a different solution. 

Let me know if you manage to get it changed. 

I wonder if the new facelifted version will have the same shifters and the same problems 

hello guys and hello from croatia, i found your forum and i must say i found alot of good advices. I need your assistenence for same reason this topic was started. I have problem with leather shift knob. It started to disintegrating slowly. i took picture so you can see it, I need your advice on how to handle this, should i report it to our local service since my car is just 18 month old. Does that go in regular warranty? Do you have any advice,

Best regards

IMAG4654 (1).jpg

Edited by zolmajstor

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2017 at 10:48, zolmajstor said:

hello guys and hello from croatia, i found your forum and i must say i found alot of good advices. I need your assistenence for same reason this topic was started. I have problem with leather shift knob. It started to disintegrating slowly. i took picture so you can see it, I need your advice on how to handle this, should i report it to our local service since my car is just 18 month old. Does that go in regular warranty? Do you have any advice,

Best regards

IMAG4654 (1).jpg

Zolmajstor I'd go to the local official servis and complain. Even if it's wear and tear item, it should last years after warranty ends. Or back to the sales guy that sold you the car, he may be able to help as well.

On 19/09/2017 at 00:07, Magget said:

40K miles later the new shifter started flaking as well. Seems I'll have to try an aftermarket one, as these Skoda ones aren't lasting long.

If anyone has any recommendations please let me know!

That's quite a lot of miles in just over a year!

Do you wear rings and/or rest your hand on it when you're not changing gear?

Interior wear like this can be down to the driver (or their rings) although in this case it seems like poor quality materials.

You could get a metal aftermarket one. Only problem with metal is it's cold in the winter and can be hot in the summer.

58 minutes ago, vrsTom said:

That's quite a lot of miles in just over a year!

Do you wear rings and/or rest your hand on it when you're not changing gear?

Interior wear like this can be down to the driver (or their rings) although in this case it seems like poor quality materials.

You could get a metal aftermarket one. Only problem with metal is it's cold in the winter and can be hot in the summer.

I've thought about the same things and once I started paying attention to it, I realised I don't rest my hand on it. 

Being a European I actually do the opposite, I hold the wheel with my left hand whenever I'm not changing gears, as that was my window arm for 15 years of driving. 

As the original shifter lasted 2 years and 23k miles with the previous owner, I just think it's a really badly made shifter. 

I have my eyes on an A3 and A4 S-line knob which I'll probably try before going to BFI or any other aftermarket ones, as those are quite expensive actually, and often require customisation to the shifter itself

• 6 months later...

Hi, I had problem as you can see above. I solved it by going to official car seller where i bought my new Octavia and they accepted my complain and i got new shift know in few days. If your car is under factory warranty they have to replace it.

• Like 1

“Chrome” sharp and flaking along the top edge of my DSG shifter as many have said, dealer not interested on used approved warranty, quoted around £160 ish for part they said they’d fit it for free as it only takes a couple of mins.

Im going to try to dress it with a needle file first, also seen replacement vRS shifters around €60 but the supplier doesn’t have very good reviews.

Not ideal to have a control surface with a sharp edge on it, design or material failure- SUK also not interested but fully aware.

On 4/9/2018 at 20:23, the_r_sole said:

does the mk7 golf one fit? quite fancy the golf ball style one

As far as I know yes. I've also been looking at A4 s-line knobs as they look great and fit as well. 

Also check BFI knobs, they fit all MQB cars. They're not cheap but look gorgeous.

• 11 months later...

Bit of a thread revival here but does it matter if it is LHD or RHD?  Surely they are all the same?

I have had mine replaced twice under new car warranty in 3 years and 40,000kms.

I am sure the new one will be flaking within 6 months so not sure what I will do at that point.

Can't be too hard a job to design a better coating/finish for the stick?

I've given mine a bit of a paint with some Skoda Silver touch up. Not the best of fixes but it has made it nice and smooth and prevents further flaking and chipping on my DSG knob. The colour isn't a bad match.

Certainly a cheap part and poorly designed I think.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It must be possible, because those parts are purchasable:
Octavia III - original Skoda shift knob plate - VRS

Octavia-III-original-Skoda-shift-knob-plate-CLICK-version-6M

Oh.. unless you mean the whole top part without the gaiter, not seen that anywhere

Edited by Squirrelz

On 19/09/2017 at 02:04, Bidey said:

The chrome on my DSG shifter is flaking off and very sharp. This happened on my Rapid also and was changed under warranty. Hoping i can also get this done on Octi??

It was replaced and 1 1/2 year later as bad as ever and even worse as leather now gooey and got told no replacement warranty so stuck wit it!!

On 13/09/2019 at 15:10, ccosmin said:

Just that one indeed, but that is for manual. Did not see it for DSG.

I've had a bit of a search on EKTA and I think you're right, you can only get the "badge repair" kits for the manual gearbox - presumably because there are quite a few variations on them. The DSG one only seems to be available as a full replacement for the gearknob and gaiter

• Sad 1