Jacking up the Yeti

Clive

So the manual tells me where the front and rear jacking points are , and these are fine for changing a wheel . 

But I notice there's a similar 'jacking point' in the middle of the sill , can this point be used to jack the whole of one side of the car up , for example to swap the wheels from front to rear ? 

I'd be using a trolley , but I don't want to jack it up in the middle if it's unsafe or going to bend my Yeti 

Thanks .

Can't help with the centre jacking point, I wasn't aware of it when I had my Yeti.

What I would urge you to do however before you use a trolley jack is to fit the supplied scissor jack to one of the jacking points and lightly tighten it until it is holding in position, then look under the car and you will note that the load is taken on the strengthened area of the floor pan inboard of the plastic trim with the seam. It is not in any way taken where the "u" shaped part of the supplied jack fits over the seam. It appears to me that the "u" shaped section is just to fit the jack snugly over the seam.

I mention this because you may see references to using a hockey puck or similar, to merely fit over the seam and into the cup on the trolley jack. If you do this the weight of the car will not be taken where it is designed to do so. I made up a fitting from strengthened rubber that mirrored the shape of the supplied jack, fitted the cup of the trolley jack and ensured the car weight was taken correctly.

• Like 2

What I would urge you to do however before you use a trolley jack is to fit the supplied scissor jack to one of the jacking points and lightly tighten it until it is holding in position,

I suspect not many will be supplied with a scissor jack, and that will be the reason for using a trolley jack.

I suspect not many will be supplied with a scissor jack, and that will be the reason for using a trolley jack.

I have the Yeti scissor jack in the car , but I feel it's easier and safer to use the trolley jack when possible .

I do not know of any "central" jacking point, and can see no mention of it anywhere.

Why do you think it is there?

It's not that I think it's there , but as I said in my first post , " there's a similar 'jacking point' in the middle of the sill " , and I wondered if it was in fact a jacking point .

This looks the same as the officially designated jacking points at either end of the sill .

This is the point I'm referring to in the middle of the sill . . . . 

post-146200-0-91265700-1469113098_thumb.jpg post-146200-0-64666800-1469113103_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression that if you had a spare wheel, you were also supplied with a scissor jack. I certainly was.

I have the Yeti scissor jack in the car , but I feel it's easier and safer to use the trolley jack when possible .

So did I. All I was suggesting was that when using a jack other than one which may, or may not, be supplied with the car, you should ensure that the part that takes e weight should have a similar profile to the OEM scissor jack.

• Like 1

They look like drains to me.

Jacking point usually has a downward pointing triangle on that seam.

Thanks , yeah they could be drain holes . The diagram in the manual pointed roughly to those areas so I thought they must be the jacking points , I've seen pictures of the triangles (arrows) you mention , but I can't see them on my car .

It's not that I think it's there , but as I said in my first post , " there's a similar 'jacking point' in the middle of the sill " , and I wondered if it was in fact a jacking point .

This looks the same as the officially designated jacking points at either end of the sill .

This is the point I'm referring to in the middle of the sill . . . . 

attachicon.gifP7210001.JPG attachicon.gifP7210002.JPG

They are just drains in the sills, and NOT jacking points.

I think you will find that the jacking points have a strengthener plate behind them.

The triangles are not easy to see!

• Like 2

You need to get right down low to see the triangles properly.  It might even be easier to feel for them!  I marked the ones on my Yeti with a dab of yellow enamel paint.  There's still some clinging on there five+ years later - enough to make it easy to spot them still.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Theres a video on youtube just search for car jack stand,It does entail the use of some wooden blocks, a hockey puck and mirrors I think the mirrors are a bit OTT.

Not knowing how the supplied jack locates on the under sill of a Yeti I cannot decide If the gadget would be usefull or even safe to use but I am sure it would provoke some comments on here.

Of course I would only consider using this idea for swapping wheels round etc never for working on the car.

I must say reading about the lack of suitable jacking points on the chassis Is a little concerning to me would worry about tyre fitters lifting car on trolley jack and causing damage .

Edited by ywyetinym

On 21/07/2016 at 13:44, x19 said:

Can't help with the centre jacking point, I wasn't aware of it when I had my Yeti.

What I would urge you to do however before you use a trolley jack is to fit the supplied scissor jack to one of the jacking points and lightly tighten it until it is holding in position, then look under the car and you will note that the load is taken on the strengthened area of the floor pan inboard of the plastic trim with the seam. It is not in any way taken where the "u" shaped part of the supplied jack fits over the seam. It appears to me that the "u" shaped section is just to fit the jack snugly over the seam.

I mention this because you may see references to using a hockey puck or similar, to merely fit over the seam and into the cup on the trolley jack. If you do this the weight of the car will not be taken where it is designed to do so. I made up a fitting from strengthened rubber that mirrored the shape of the supplied jack, fitted the cup of the trolley jack and ensured the car weight was taken correctly.

Any chance of you putting an image of what the the fitting you made up? The hockey puck system with milled out channel to fit over the seam seems to be the favourite method so far, anyway it has worked for me for the last 5 years of swapping winter/summer tyres but would like to see your fitting to compare.

11 hours ago, Expatman said:

Any chance of you putting an image of what the the fitting you made up? The hockey puck system with milled out channel to fit over the seam seems to be the favourite method so far, anyway it has worked for me for the last 5 years of swapping winter/summer tyres but would like to see your fitting to compare.

The youtube video Is not my work just came across It whilst searching take a look its interesting! do you run the 16" wheels all year?

Yes, 16" Helix alloys with Goodyear Efficientgrips in summer and 16" steel wheels with Nokian winter tyres in winter.

I will have a look for the YouTube video, how best to trace it?

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

Yes, 16" Helix alloys with Goodyear Efficientgrips in summer and 16" steel wheels with Nokian winter tyres in winter.

I will have a look for the YouTube video, how best to trace it?

Just put   car jack stand  in the search box you should find it Ok the guy has made a small platform from 6x2 and 4x2 wooden blocks added  hockey puck and mirrors to help align the device.

Ps dont expect to much from It but who knows It might appeal to someone.

I ran the winter nokians on my previous car very impressed with them.

Edited by ywyetinym

Thanks, as I said I have been using a hockey puck with a slot cut to fit over the flange for 5 years and have not noticed any damage to the flange or surrounding area. I believe many drivers use the same system without problems.

14 hours ago, Expatman said:

Regrettably no.  The device went with the car when I sold it in March 14.  Hondas have a completely different arrangement, so there was no point in keeping it.  If it helps I made it to mirror the shape of the seat of the supplied scissor jack.  The main point is that the part that bears the weight has to be higher than the slot the locates on the seam.

When I changed my winter tyres to summer a few months ago I did notice that the scissor jack was struggling ....... almost to the point of deforming

I now carry an old "bottle jack" that I have, must "make" a suitable mounting - I always carried a good piece of solid oak to position the jack on

On 17/06/2017 at 12:58, ywyetinym said:

Just put   car jack stand  in the search box you should find it Ok the guy has made a small platform from 6x2 and 4x2 wooden blocks added  hockey puck and mirrors to help align the device.

Ps dont expect to much from It but who knows It might appeal to someone.

I ran the winter nokians on my previous car very impressed with them.

Been out looking under the car for the exact location of the jacking points and its still as clear as mud the owners manual Is of little help actually no help at all.

Its almost as If Skoda do not want people to jack up their cars at all even to change a wheel.There is an awfull lot of plastic underneath the car even the boxed area of the sill appears to be hard plastic.There Is an area of the sill that is double skinned looks like a drain hole I can only presume this Is where the jack should locate.

Its not just home jacks.

Took my Superb to have new tyres all round and they used the ramp rather than a jack at each corner about 8 years ago.

After locating the ramp supports jack under the cills to lift the car off all 4 wheels at the same time, he dropped the ramp down and I watched the cills collapae on both sides at the front of the car.

Apparently it works fine on a passat but the supports would not quite reach all 4 cill jack points on the slightly longer Superb. Cost kw...fit quite a lot of money to repair the car.