Updating Amundsen Nav II Maps

Falmouthboy

A quick 'noddy' guide for the Luddites among us - I 'bit the bullet' today and am posting a quick guide. For simplicity I saved everything to my desktop where it was easy to find and once satisfied all was good moved it to a file on the C drive. Note that you can only update the maps in the Facelift Amundsen in this way.

1. Download the new maps via the download tool on the Skoda web site, save to your desktop so it's easy to find. You should check to see that your in car maps are not the current ones first! It will show as a zip file when downloaded which has an icon of a pile of books. Open it up the zip file and you will see 3 files, the folder file called 'maps' is the one you need. Ignore the other two. You will probably need to agree to the terms for the trial of the zip software (I did). The download is about 12MB which took about 45 min on our average 10MB connection.

2. Remove the SD card from the car. Switch the plastic write protect tab to unlocked and put into PC.

3. The SD card only contains one file called 'Maps'. Copy and paste this file to the desktop (this is your backup). Then delete the 'Maps' file from the SD card.

4. Go to the new download and drag the 'Maps' file to the SD card. First it will show as unzipping (takes about 10 minutes) then it will show as copying to the SD card (this takes about another 10 minutes). Don't worry that the SD card shows as empty until the last moment when the new 'Maps' file will miraculously appear.

5. Remove the SD card, re lock it and put in the car - and that's it done!

6. Move the download and backup maps to another place on your PC away from the desktop.

Edited by Falmouthboy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to install a speed camera data base into the sat nav,maybe the second sd card slot for music could be used to load a speed camera data base.

I think it's possible to install speed camera data as a POI but only on the post May 2015 Amundsen II.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick 'noddy' guide for the Luddites among us - I 'bit the bullet' today and am posting a quick guide. For simplicity I saved everything to my desktop where it was easy to find and once satisfied all was good moved it to a file on the C drive. Note that you can only update the maps in the Facelift Amundsen in this way.

1. Download the new maps via the download tool on the Skoda web site, save to your desktop so it's easy to find. You should check to see that your in car maps are not the current ones first! It will show as a zip file when downloaded which has an icon of a pile of books. Open it up the zip file and you will see 3 files, the folder file called 'maps' is the one you need. Ignore the other two. You will probably need to agree to the terms for the trial of the zip software (I did). The download is about 12MB which took about 45 min on our average 10MB connection.

2. Remove the SD card from the car. Switch the plastic write protect tab to unlocked and put into PC.

3. The SD card only contains one file called 'Maps'. Copy and paste this file to the desktop (this is your backup). Then delete the 'Maps' file from the SD card.

4. Go to the new download and drag the 'Maps' file to the SD card. First it will show as unzipping (takes about 10 minutes) then it will show as copying to the SD card (this takes about another 10 minutes). Don't worry that the SD card shows as empty until the last moment when the new 'Maps' file will miraculously appear.

5. Remove the SD card, re lock it and put in the car - and that's it done!

6. Move the download and backup maps to another place on your PC away from the desktop.

Great instructions matey, took the plunge and tried it, worked a treat :thumbup: 

Hi Guys

My maps of Western Europe are not really useful in Sydney !!

According the the Skoda navigation website i can update via a DVD but I cannot find anywhere how this can be done.

Am I able to copy the DVD to a new SD card then insert the card (Amundsen + RNS315). The unit's setup mentions the SD card but nothing about a DVD

Thanks

Hi Guys

My maps of Western Europe are not really useful in Sydney !!

According the the Skoda navigation website i can update via a DVD but I cannot find anywhere how this can be done.

Am I able to copy the DVD to a new SD card then insert the card (Amundsen + RNS315). The unit's setup mentions the SD card but nothing about a DVD

Thanks

If you enter your VIN does it not come up with the Australian maps to download?

Was it an Australian car or have you taken it there from Europe?

The bit where it mentions DVD is I presume one the dealer has and with their equipment will be used to update the software/firmware on the Amundsen unit not the map data.

Thanks Urrell

All Skodas are imported into Australia

No...... the VIN number in the Skoda website simply comes back with a note saying map updates are available from a DVD.

I tracked down the DVD but the local dealer gave up trying to install it. Really don't think they had any idea how to do it.

The navigation setup in the unit only refers to using or uploading from an SD card

I will try and copy the DVD to an SD card and see if that works

I will try and copy the DVD to an SD card and see if that works

I thought the only way of updating the Amundsen + (rns315) was by using a genuine Skoda SD card and that any DVD updates were for the Columbus system?

Jim

• Like 1

No...... the VIN number in the Skoda website simply comes back with a note saying map updates are available from a DVD.

Is this what you are seeing, if yes its not the map data its the software/firmware that a dealer has to do.

Nothing to do with updating the map at all.

The map is downloaded by pressing the green button just above it.

Update_zpsc6kik9cr.jpg

Edited by Urrell

And I thought that only applied to the current Amundsen II (MIB) system - not the older Amundsen + (RNS315) that David1944 has?

David1944 is showing it's a 2015 model in his signature, anything post November 2014 will be an Amundsen II.

Or have I missed something?

If it is indeed an Amundsen + that he has fitted to a new car then not only will there be no map download available it's in an Amundsen II thread.

Edited by Urrell

Is this what you are seeing, if yes its not the map data its the software/firmware that a dealer has to do.

Nothing to do with updating the map at all.

The map is downloaded by pressing the green button just above it.

Update_zpsc6kik9cr.jpg

Hi Guys. This is what the website is showing:

That is saying "Other Software", it's not maps it's a software/firmware upgrade and is a dealer job to install.
Just one thing, has your Amundsen got a CD or DVD slot?

You are saying you have an Amundsen+, is this one you have had fitted as the 2015 Yeti does not come with that?

Has it got a CD slot?

You are saying you have an Amundsen+, is this one you have had fitted as the 2015 Yeti does not come with that?

Has it got a CD slot?

Yes the manual that came with the car says an Amundsen+ and yes it has a cd slot. The vehicle was delivered from the factory in February 2015.

I also bought a workshop manual (all 7000 pages !!) The first 8 pages give vehicle specific information and it is showing the nav unit as an RNS 315.

The dealer was kind enough to lend me the DVD which of course the unit does not read. Tried copying to an SD card but again no luck, it cannot be read.

Guess I am stuck....gr..gr

@David1944;

It looks like this is what you may need

http://jku.com.au/2015-v3-vokswagen-map-rns-315-vw-australia-nz-maps-service-3aa051866ag.html

However, it warns that: "This Maps will not work on RNS 315 imported from Europe"

If I understand your previous post correctly you already have European maps loaded? If so this card will probably not work in your system.

Jim