I can't unlock the car by key any more - is this a fixable problem?

This car doesn't have central locking system, so I have to unlock doors individually, but one of the doors doesn't unlock any more. When I insert key and turn, it allows me to turn either anti-clockwise and clockwise all way around clicking. However, unlocking from inside does work.

Is this a fixable problem or do I have to replace the key mechanism?

No one knows unless you strip it down and see which part has broken. since its a manual system its probably going to be fixable.

Thanks, that's disappointing. I was hoping that it was well-known issue so I could find some instructions to fix it myself.

The above is true. However the door lock barrels have been changed so a repair kit may not be possible. You can order a complete lock barrel from Skoda to key number. Simple to fit, instructions are on here in a door handle removal guide.

26102008243.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 31/07/2016 at 06:53, Tech1e said:

The above is true. However the door lock barrels have been changed so a repair kit may not be possible. You can order a complete lock barrel from Skoda to key number. Simple to fit, instructions are on here in a door handle removal guide.

After a long absence due to personal reasons, I've decided it's time to fix this now. I went to a mechanic and they said I'd have to order a part myself. They also warned me that I'd have to carry two keys, one for the door, and another for the ignition.

I'm not too expert in this area but I think it's easier to replace key barrels on both doors instead and get a set of new keys. Would something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-MK1-99-07-COMPLETE-DOOR-LOCK-SET-2-KEYS-FRONT-RIGHT-and-LEFT-/221782645709?fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item33a3469bcd:g:xD4AAOSwv0tVYxOS

work?

Is there a way to make the new key to work with ignition? I don't like carrying two keys at once.

I've read guides, and I got confused with the information about programming a key to the car. Are those guides for cars with central/remote locking system which I don't have?

Edited by JoeBloggs

30 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Those would work with the car but you will have a different ignition key. 

If you order a door lock to key number from Skoda you will retain one key. 

:( Sounds expensive - is there another way to do this?

1 hour ago, Tech1e said:

How do you mean another way?

They are the only two options I can think of. A door lock from Skoda is about £80 iirc. 

I meant if there was cheaper way to do this, getting one directly from Skoda isn't cheap.

Although I'll bite the bullet this time. Thanks!

Edited by JoeBloggs